PDA

View Full Version : What a mess during bowling playoffs!

Blomer
04-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Today we had our bowling playoffs. The winner of each 3rd and the wild card, my team, bowled today. The two winners would face or against each other for the championship.
When we arrived at the center, the league president said we would play two games and whoever has the most overall points would advance. My captain quickly questioned him as last year we bowled till a team won two of 3 games. The president insisted her was right.

My team won the first game by over 200 pins and supposedly lost the 2nd game by 8. I say supposedly cause we think we won it, but the scores weren't saved for whatever reason. Nonetheless, we had the most pins after two games and went to get ready against the other team who won. As we were about to start, several of the team captains who showed up to watch got together and all of the sudden the league president said he made a mistake and we have to see who wins 2 games first, not who has the most pins. Several on my team were upset as we thought we won. We questioned him before any games were bowled and he didn't check it out, he thought he was right.

Well, we bowled another game and things actually worked out for us as we won the game rather easily. For someone who is in charge of the league, he should have known from the start how playoffs were ran. He was the president last year and did it best of three games.

RobLV1
04-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Easy solution: vote him out as President next year and make sure he knows why!

fordman1
04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
They are called bylaws. Before the league starts there should be a meeting to approve everything (vote on the rules). You can't make things up as you go.

bowl1820
04-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Today we had our bowling playoffs. The winner of each 3rd and the wild card, my team, bowled today. The two winners would face or against each other for the championship.
When we arrived at the center, the league president said we would play two games and whoever has the most overall points would advance. My captain quickly questioned him as last year we bowled till a team won two of 3 games. The president insisted her was right.

My team won the first game by over 200 pins and supposedly lost the 2nd game by 8. I say supposedly cause we think we won it, but the scores weren't saved for whatever reason.
What Nobody was writing the scores down on a recap sheet? Those games are counted toward your final average, so should have been recorded.

Nonetheless, we had the most pins after two games and went to get ready against the other team who won. As we were about to start, several of the team captains who showed up to watch got together and all of the sudden the league president said he made a mistake and we have to see who wins 2 games first, not who has the most pins. Several on my team were upset as we thought we won. We questioned him before any games were bowled and he didn't check it out, he thought he was right.

Well, we bowled another game and things actually worked out for us as we won the game rather easily.

For someone who is in charge of the league, he should have known from the start how playoffs were ran. He was the president last year and did it best of three games.

How the playoff is handled should have been included in the league rules, That's in the league operations manual.
Quote:"Leagues should adopt a rule stating how a playoff shall be conducted for ties and/or championships."

Blomer
04-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Now that you mention it, we never used a recap sheet...ever! We do in my other leagues. We already did the voting for president and all and he was elected again.

KYDave
04-09-2017, 11:57 PM
I don't understand why some leagues are ran so poorly.

Do they think their efforts are good enough, or do they just not care. And people wonder why leagues are declining.

foreverincamo
04-10-2017, 12:04 AM
We have recap sheets, plus they can download all the scores from the scoring computers. Glad you pulled it off after that mess

AlexNC
04-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Is this a sanctioned league? It sounds like a mess. I'm pretty sure USBC rules (116) require the use of score sheet that each team has a member sign.

Even if it's not sanctioned it's silly that rules governing playoffs not be printed in the bylaws.

fordman1
04-10-2017, 03:58 PM
Boomer have you ever called your local assn. manager? Or have you ever called the USBC in Dallas? How about someone who can actually help you other than a bunch of strangers on the internet?