PDA

View Full Version : Sore losers/Bad sportsmanship/Angry bowlers

morgothaod
04-13-2017, 11:33 PM
Care to share any memorable stories of times where someone may have gotten a little out of line?

I was bowling on a league and someone on the other team hit the pocket (Not at the best of angles) and left the 7-10. Instead of throwing his second shot, he put the ball on the ground and pushed it off with his foot and it of course, landed in the gutter :D.

bowl1820
04-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Lets see I've seen,

On One league a fist fight broke out.

Another a bowler threw his shoes down the lane.

Another a chair got threw down.

One guy had a bad night walked out the door and threw his bag full of balls in the dumpster.

Misc. shouting matches, kicking the ball return and knocking the cover off.

drlawsoniii
04-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Lets see I've seen,

On One league a fist fight broke out.

Another a bowler threw his shoes down the lane.

Another a chair got threw down.

One guy had a bad night walked out the door and threw his bag full of balls in the dumpster.

Misc. shouting matches, kicking the ball return and knocking the cover off.

I saw a guy flip an oiling machine because it was running a couple lanes over and it came into is periphery...

fordman1
04-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Seen just about everything listed except the oil machine getting flipped. Monitors broken can be added.

Aslan
04-14-2017, 08:38 PM

And I did that with good reason!!!

Actually, the only bad sportsmanship I've seen...both times came from older women. I find that unexpected for some reason. :eek:

But, in both cases, it was just me being on the approach and the making noises or trying to distract me.

All it does is make me angry and then I actually bowl better...so more power to em...but I still think it's highly questionable sportsmanship.

classygranny
04-15-2017, 12:05 AM
We were bowling on lanes 1 and 2 a few years ago, and my teammate on that league (doubles partner on the league following) got irritated when the pins weren't carrying well. She left a stone 9 and turned and slapped the wall - caught her little finger and it swelled up like a balloon. Even though she finished that league, I had to bowl our doubles league without her. She felt horrible.

My husband shows a temper when he's not bowling well, but it's always at himself. Most people on our league have gotten use to it, but newer people either look at me funny or ask if he's ok. I've learned to ignore it as he just gets frustrated at himself. The worst I remember him doing is kicking the return or the trash can.

There was a guy on our Friday league that would get so mad that he would bounce his ball on the floor. Very rude if you were close by.

Tony
04-15-2017, 08:56 PM
I've seen a lot of kicked ball returns, and a few walls punched, tables flipped, chairs thrown, and once saw a guy take his ball out to the 4 lane road in front of the bowling alley and roll it down the hill, lucky it was late and there was not much traffic. I'm pretty sure he didn't get a strike....

KYDave
04-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Wow those are some serious anger issues. I've been mad at myself plenty of times and might say some colorful words and sit down in the chair heavy. But good grief flipping oil machines is nuts. Not like those are like $100.

got_a_300
04-16-2017, 12:57 PM
I've seen the times way back in the 80's people would
say they could bowl better in the parking lot so some
of them would get their bowling balls out and go out to
the parking lot.

They would roll them down the small hill and against the
side of the building at the bottom of the hill and then there's
the times I've thrown balls in the garbage cans at the center
and I've even went as far as to throw balls, bag, shoes off of
the bridge and into the river.

It is way too expensive to do those kind of things now days so
I just go home after a bad night of bowling and go to bed and
just say to myself it will be better next time.

chrono00
04-16-2017, 09:29 PM
Me and my one friend once slammed a ball off the train tracks u till it split in two.

...not being bad sports or sore losers or anything..just for fun lol. Another guy on our team threw his ball and it came back cracked from the middle finger hole to like half way around the ball. The finger was drilled right into the pin so we weren't surprised. Took it to our local bar after bowling that happens to be right by the train tracks and had some fun chick ing it off the rails until it split. We each took a half home

rv driver
06-17-2017, 08:37 PM
I used to get really frustrated when I wasn't doing well, but I never kicked, threw, or hit anything. Just a few well-placed expletives -- and usually under my breath. People seem to be angrier these days than they were back in the day --and here I'm talking about the late '70s. I won't put up with dangerous behavior. I'll just leave. That's why I don't bowl league.

ALazySavage
06-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Best one I saw was a friend of my father's had a brand new ball get chipped in the back (no significant damage), looked at it, and offered it up for $10 to anyone who wanted it; my dad pulled $10 out and bought it from him. A couple weeks later, after it was plugged and drilled, my father beat him out of 1st place in sweeper with it.

ytlas
06-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Years ago a friend of mine got so frustrated that he shot put the bowling ball down the lane. He turned around to notice the Manager had seen the whole thing. He immediately grabbed his thumb like the ball had stuck to it. I never saw him pull another stunt like that.

taxexpert2
09-09-2017, 07:42 AM
On league I bowled in a mother and son got into a knock down fight. The father stood there and said "I have missed this". I never returned to that league.

Eddy
10-07-2017, 09:39 PM
I've seen the times way back in the 80's people would
say they could bowl better in the parking lot so some
of them would get their bowling balls out and go out to
the parking lot.

They would roll them down the small hill and against the
side of the building at the bottom of the hill and then there's
the times I've thrown balls in the garbage cans at the center
and I've even went as far as to throw balls, bag, shoes off of
the bridge and into the river.

It is way too expensive to do those kind of things now days so
I just go home after a bad night of bowling and go to bed and
just say to myself it will be better next time.

I remember paying $100 a ball for a hammer back in the 80's. That was a lot of money back then. (and even now) Were you talking about cheap plastic balls?

SAbowler
10-09-2017, 03:08 PM
So this happened the other night... Our team had a pretty good night and wound up taking 26 out of 32 available points on the evening. One guy from the other team who shot a decent set (his avg is 197 and he shot 610) was extremely perturbed, I guess because his team got beat pretty good. After we were done bowling he was slamming his balls around into his bag and just being an extremely poor sport. As far as I could tell, no one was even talking to him because of his demeanor. At the height of his tantrum, he wound up taking his Storm Code Red and smashing it on the ground in the setee area and shattering it into a dozen pieces. I didn't actually see him do this as he was behind me at the time, I just turned around as I heard it and saw the aftermath. I'm not sure what set him off, but that amount of rage was totally uncalled for. He could have seriously hurt someone with the pieces of ball that came off of that thing. I'm not sure what is going to happen with the guy, but I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, if he were kicked out of the league. He apologized later, and I truly think he was ashamed of what he did, but he's known as kind of a hot head and that kind of behavior is unacceptable.

got_a_300
10-09-2017, 04:44 PM
I remember paying $100 a ball for a hammer back in the 80's. That was a lot of money back then. (and even now) Were you talking about cheap plastic balls?

Nope no cheap plastic balls I was talking about top level balls over $160-200+ balls
back then I could afford to throw them away not so much now days not making all
that good money anymore since I'm retired and not working any longer.

santos314
10-11-2017, 08:20 PM
That's one of the main reasons I stay away from a men's league. I can live with the guy talk and attitudes but I have no love for the guys that rage because "the lanes suck,he distracted me, my $300 ball lost to his plastic, etc,etc.". Alcohol always helps too!

LOUVIT
10-12-2017, 09:18 AM

I think my first new ball in 1968 or so was a Gyro,,so dam cool, in those days they would use a punch and a hammer and put your name on it.....it was 32.00 I think

LOUVIT
10-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Only time I used to get mad was when I bowled action. Which I did a lot of in the 70's..

santos314
10-12-2017, 08:05 PM
Only time I used to get mad was when I bowled action. Which I did a lot of in the 70's..

Ok.....I don't what "bowled action" is?

fordman1
10-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Bowling for money like in king pin...

bowl1820
10-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Bowling for money like in king pin...

Yep. In the sport of bowling, action refers to bowling opponents for money. Putting money on the line and winner takes all.

santos314
10-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Lol...wow, all these years, that's the first time I have ever heard that.

got_a_300
10-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Around here we always called it pot bowling or in
my case I always just called it donating all of my
money to the other bowlers. LOL!!!!!

santos314
10-15-2017, 09:26 PM
Around here we always called it pot bowling or in
my case I always just called it donating all of my
money to the other bowlers. LOL!!!!!

Lol, yeah that was me at the 9pin last night. Glad I could stop by and help others win big money!

Phonetek
01-10-2018, 03:48 PM
This post brings back memories. The guy who taught me was a boyfriend of my mom back in the day. The guy was a jerk but a top notch bowler and excellent teacher. However, if he blew a pot then look out. Him missing a 10 pin causing him and his team to lose was a definite 100MPH white knuckle ride back home for me and my mom. I was about 10 yrs old at the time. One night he bowled with his brand new Black Hammer right when they first came out. In the last game he blew the 10th. He walked outside and slammed the ball on the ground causing it to bounce 20 feet in the air. He did it over and over all the way back to our car. Finally it landed on the hood of a car near ours. He grabbed the ball, threw it in the truck and we left. Somehow nobody seen him do it and it was back before cameras were everywhere so he got away with it. Serious damage too. The irony is, the very next week and many weeks after continued to use his road rashed Black Hammer and did well with it. I guess thats one way to scuff a Hammer but not the preferred method. I can go on in this thread with stories about this guy for days. All I can say is luckily I got his skill with bowling but I did not get his attitude.

JerseyJim
01-10-2018, 07:43 PM
I bowled with this one team for years. Nice enough off the lanes, but a bunch of asses on it. There was one team that we always had a rivalry with, however it got to the point where some of the guys on our team starting cheering when they missed a spare, or had a bad shot. They got pissed when they started getting some of their own medicine. A couple of my teammates wanted to settle this in the parking lot. It stopped when I pointed out that they started this crap, so just shut up and bowl.

TCJ
01-10-2018, 10:09 PM
I have seen people kick ball returns, punch ball returns, punch walls, yell in other peoples' faces, tug and pull on the computers, kick balls down the lane, throw balls halfway down the lane, purposely throw gutter balls, complain about opponents making spares, slamming balls into bags, onto the floor, bouncing them, or kicking them down the aisle.

Phonetek
01-10-2018, 10:22 PM
Out of all those things I've seen people do, not one time have I seen an official call a "Do over" because of their antics. So silly, I just shake my head.

panbanger
03-07-2018, 12:47 PM
The league I’m in right now has less than 10 teams but the highest percentage of crybabies and temper-tentrum throwing idiots I’ve ever seen in a league. Seriously considering handing out boxes of Pampers in the last week, which can’t come soon enough.

Last night one guy did the “I’m mad so I’m going to throw my ball in to my bag” routine except the ball bounced out and landed on my foot. I said I have bad games too, except I don’t act like a f@$&ing baby when I do.

Grown men and women acting like complete buffoons. That should be the name of this league.

Outerlimits
03-07-2018, 09:03 PM
Seen all the same antics that have been posted up....but I did encounter a new one......to me anyway. league on Thurs. nite, get their normal time wife and I put our shoes on get our balls out and put them up on the rack. In our center, I don't care for the settee design, its very tight they have two tables behind the ball return and one high table in the rear of the settee. My wife and I usually prefer to set at the high table at the back as the wife likes to stand and move around. My teammate and his wife are at the opposite end of the hightop table. This leaves both tables in the bowling area free. League president says that they received a complaint that we were not sharing the high top table. No one ever said anything to us. The other teams point was since the scoring monitor showed them starting on lane 5 the table behind lane 5 and the end of the hightop table behind lane 5 belonged to them. I just laughed and moved over, we got the last laugh though as we took all 7 points from them. Sheez......who knew?

vdubtx
03-07-2018, 11:27 PM
The league I’m in right now has less than 10 teams but the highest percentage of crybabies and temper-tentrum throwing idiots I’ve ever seen in a league. Seriously considering handing out boxes of Pampers in the last week, which can’t come soon enough.

Last night one guy did the “I’m mad so I’m going to throw my ball in to my bag” routine except the ball bounced out and landed on my foot. I said I have bad games too, except I don’t act like a f@$&ing baby when I do.

Grown men and women acting like complete buffoons. That should be the name of this league.

Wonder where this league is since you are local to me. Haven't seen you around the site in quite sometime panbanger. :cool:

panbanger
03-12-2018, 03:55 PM
Wonder where this league is since you are local to me. Haven't seen you around the site in quite sometime panbanger. :cool:

Hi there! I’ve been bowling like usual, brilliant one week, terrible the next lol

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow. Last week really rubbed me the wrong way (as a bowling ball bouncing on to your foot often does) and I had to vent. Then I remembered the good ol bowlingboards :-)

taxexpert2
03-19-2018, 06:54 AM
There was one incident that caused me to quit a league. I hope I never see it again. Was bowling in a "Color Pin League". Most of the bowlers were related to each other. It was mostly friendly. One night a mother and son started a knock down drag out fight over nothing. The father stood there and said, "I have been missing this." I never went back. I did tell them I wasn't coming back. It was very upsetting to me. It was at a time when I was getting ready to move from that town to another so I had a pretty good excuse outside of the fight to leave. It still bothers me when I think about a mother and son fighting like that.

fordman1
03-19-2018, 01:58 PM
Beside the fact you never raise your hand to your mother. How big was this woman and how wimpy was the son. I was a foot taller and had over 125 lbs. on her. You made the right decision leaving they would have pulled out their AR-15's next week. Or did they use squirrel guns?