PDA

View Full Version : 15 to 14 pound transition.

TPZ7676
04-18-2017, 02:57 AM
going down to 14 from 15 for health reasons, have had some wrist soreness this season and afraid my old age just isn't going to allow me to put what I used to into the ball. Anyone who has transitioned have any info on what to expect? Im guessing my speed and revs will increase some?

Tony
04-18-2017, 09:04 AM
going down to 14 from 15 for health reasons, have had some wrist soreness this season and afraid my old age just isn't going to allow me to put what I used to into the ball. Anyone who has transitioned have any info on what to expect? Im guessing my speed and revs will increase some?

I made the same change a couple of years ago, and for similar reasons. Yes you might see your speed and revs increase slightly, depending on your current limitations and abilities. I found with the lighter ball I would sometimes hurry my delivery a little altering my timing and release a little, I still have to watch it a little and keep it within the range where it doesn't change my timing.

I didn't find a big change with carry or scoring, in fact my average the first year following the change was a couple pins higher and that has remained constant, my average from last season to this season is exactly the same.

I did notice a little less hand and arm pain and didn't experience the fatigue and pain from throwing a practice session of six games, like I had experienced before the change.

So for me it did pretty much what I needed, less wear and tear and pain with the arm and my game stayed pretty much the same, maybe a small increase in revs, just enough to compensate for the pound lost.... I have seen and heard of more dramatic changes, higher speeds, more revs and higher scoring and while all that would be great, it just hasn't worked out that way for me. I got what I needed, the ability to continue bowling with reduced pain and discomfort.
Good luck with your change.

chip82901
04-18-2017, 10:46 AM
I made the change from 15# to 14# about 4 years ago when things started getting more and more aggressive, mainly to keep ball speed up. Being a 2-hander, it doesn't make too much of a difference, but it keeps my speed consistent (I'm usually around 16.5-17.3 at the back end, depending on what ball I throw, urethane or reactive). For me, that's the only reason I went down was to keep ball speed up with how aggressive equipment started getting. I may actually go back to 15# with some urethane stuff I want to pick up

Hammer
04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
My Blue Hammer urethane ball is 14# and my Hammer Anger reactive ball is 15#. I went down to the 14# ball because I am now 70 and have been bowling for 29 years. I started having wrist issues because of arthritis and the 14# is easier on the wrist. I have no issues switching from the 14# to the 15# during bowling. Sometimes I use the urethane for my strike ball depending on how the lanes are. If I am using my reactive for the strike ball I use the urethane for my spare ball. The one pound difference doesn't throw my timing off during the swing because I am used to it.