PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from my TKR

1VegasBowler
04-21-2017, 03:04 PM
Back on March 21st I had my left (slide) knee replaced. Things were actually going as expected for the time I was in the hospital, but not long after I got released I found that I couldn't bend the knee whatsoever.

My first PT session out of the house had my knee bent at a 30 degree angle. Before my next session I went to see my doc and he decided that he had to manipulate the knee.

On Wednesday April 19th, I was KO'd and he manipulated it, and I was hurting when I woke up! But when I saw him before I left, he took a picture in the OR showing that he got my knee bent all the way back, which was a great thing to see! Cuz now I know it can be done! lol

Later that same afternoon, I realized that I could walk without my walker, because I was 100% dependent on it to go or do anything.

I have to go to PT every day for the next 2 weeks, but in the last 2 days I have been there I can straighten my leg to 10 degrees and I can now bend it to 80 degrees.

While these past few days have been remarkable, I'm still about 2 1/2 weeks behind schedule, and there's still the possibility that I can start bowling again at the end of May, but I'm not going to push it.

My goal was to be ready for the 17-18 season in August/September, and everybody agrees I'll be able to.

There's still a way to go yet, but now that I can bend this knee I'm going to be working overtime to get it as strong as I can, so that I can come back and be better than before!

fortheloveofbowling
04-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Good luck with your rehab and don't push to come back to soon. Bowling will be there.

foreverincamo
04-21-2017, 08:20 PM
You'll get there. Patience

1VegasBowler
04-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Absolutely my friends! :)

The doc said at the end of May is not out of the question despite the setback, but my original thinking before the surgery was July.

And despite the setback and pain from PT, I'm glad I got this done. No more noise and pain from the joint, and it feels like the original equipment, but better! lol

KYDave
04-23-2017, 09:09 AM
Glad to hear you are making good progress Jim! I know how long the process feels, but you will be back before you know it and feeling good with your new knee! Then wonder, wow why didn't I do this sooner haha.

Good luck and happy to see you back on here.

Stormed1
04-23-2017, 09:48 AM
Glad to hear that things are now progressing well. Keep up the good workand you'll be back before you know it

Tony
04-23-2017, 10:20 AM
It seems like working diligently on rehab without overdoing it usually yields the best results, and it sounds like you're on that
path, stay with it, you're doing great.

1VegasBowler
05-04-2017, 03:18 PM
UPDATE:

Just got home from seeing the Ortho.

While progress is slow, all is going well. So well, in fact, that the doc gave me the OK the start bowling again for therapy purposes!

UNREAL!! :)

foreverincamo
05-07-2017, 03:18 PM
That's great news! Just pace yourself and don't push thru the pain.

1VegasBowler
05-08-2017, 11:19 AM
On Sunday 07 May I decided to bowl a tournament.

The results? 139, 158, 199 & 235 (731).

Not bad for a 1 step approach! Even better, the knee doesn't hurt whatsoever! A couple of sore muscles here and there, but nothing that will cause any lost sleep! lol

Amyers
05-08-2017, 11:23 AM
Glad your back on the lanes. I'd take those scores bowling with one step lol

1VegasBowler
05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Glad your back on the lanes. I'd take those scores bowling with one step lol

Thank you my friend :)

Ain't that the truth! lol

My expectations were to be somewhere in the mid 160's, and once I figured out how the pattern was playing the scores kept going up.

I certainly have a long way to go before I'm back to my normal 5 step approach. But a 4 game 731 on a one step is clearly a major victory in such a short period of time.

manke
05-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Good job. Keep up your therapy and you will be 100% in no time!!

1VegasBowler
05-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Good job. Keep up your therapy and you will be 100% in no time!!

Thank you sir!

I'm surely working on it every day! :)

mc_runner
05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Great to see you back at it with no setbacks... league will be here before ya know it.

fordman1
05-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Jim get well soon!
Can you explain why your bowl.com stats don't match your profile?

1VegasBowler
05-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Jim get well soon!
Can you explain why your bowl.com stats don't match your profile?

Thank you sir :) Working hard at it.

Bowl.com won't get updated until after the fall/winter season(s) end, and it should be within a week or so after.