PDA

View Full Version : target upon approach.

TPZ7676
04-24-2017, 03:47 AM
So I am 38 and been bowling league, at least one night a week since i was 8. I did take a few years off here and there as of late, but nevertheless I still have had the same style since I was roughly 16 or so. One of the things that my teammates inquire is where is my target, like what am I looking at upon release, and honestly I'm looking at or just beyond the foul line, very early on the lane. I have never aimed for an arrow. I find that looking that far down the lane throws off my timing, I am more concerned with my mechanics getting to my release in order to repeat the same shot. This has worked for most of my career, but I do tend to notice that I have lost consistency as of late. In one game I may throw 8 strikes, but 2 may have been pushed tight right up the middle, 2 may have been winged out wide and recovered and the other 4 seemed just right. Obviously I am not getting to the foul line consistently, I am either too closed up or too open and it is affecting my release. I also have always finished up a good foot or more before the foul line. I am an honest 215 average bowler, but this year was down to 202. This was my first season back after a 4 year hiatus and I only bowled once or twice a month so I am hoping that I just never got into a groove. Guess it is time to actually go out and practice. What are some of your targeting approaches?

chip82901
04-24-2017, 06:11 PM
So I am 38 and been bowling league, at least one night a week since i was 8. I did take a few years off here and there as of late, but nevertheless I still have had the same style since I was roughly 16 or so. One of the things that my teammates inquire is where is my target, like what am I looking at upon release, and honestly I'm looking at or just beyond the foul line, very early on the lane. I have never aimed for an arrow. I find that looking that far down the lane throws off my timing, I am more concerned with my mechanics getting to my release in order to repeat the same shot. This has worked for most of my career, but I do tend to notice that I have lost consistency as of late. In one game I may throw 8 strikes, but 2 may have been pushed tight right up the middle, 2 may have been winged out wide and recovered and the other 4 seemed just right. Obviously I am not getting to the foul line consistently, I am either too closed up or too open and it is affecting my release. I also have always finished up a good foot or more before the foul line. I am an honest 215 average bowler, but this year was down to 202. This was my first season back after a 4 year hiatus and I only bowled once or twice a month so I am hoping that I just never got into a groove. Guess it is time to actually go out and practice. What are some of your targeting approaches?

I myself have never been able to target downlane. I'm a foul line guy, or just beyond the foul line. I will visualize 3 spots, my release point, my spot at the arrows, and my break point. It's worked out well for me, but to each their own. I know plenty of guys that stare at the pins. I figured that would be inconsistent as you're not focusing on a break point or anything

Timmyb
04-24-2017, 08:25 PM
I have always been a foul line bowler. I rely on a target at the foul line, and adjust my body to the break point I want down lane, depending on lane conditions. I think this actually gives me a much more forgiving shot than a lot of other guys.

fokai73
04-24-2017, 08:34 PM
I target different areas on the lanes, from dots to pins. On THS I spot bowl, meaning I find where the pattern ends - where the ball meets friction. But I've used dots just before the arrows to pins when bowling certain patterns and/or situations. When it comes to spare shooting I even look at the center of the pin, left corner, or right corner. I used the left edge of the 6 pin playing inside in the last game to help me win some action $$$$ and sweepers.

I've used shadows or reflections, because not all houses are brighter than others, have lower ceilings than others, are warmer than others, etc... and of course, the patterns and surface are not the same as the league house I bowl in. I bowled travel league for couple of years and being "one way" in targeting doesn't always work too well.

KYDave
04-24-2017, 10:20 PM
I start at the break point then as I approach I am somewhere between the foul line and arrows. Never really gave it much thought how I get from A to B but that's where my eyes are. I am usually able to see the ball right before it crosses the arrows.

drlawsoniii
04-25-2017, 08:00 AM
I target the dark boards 3/4 down the lane, the far right one. then I make all adjustments with my feet.

Amyers
04-25-2017, 11:33 AM
I start off looking at my break point then move my eyes back to my target at the arrows and try to visualize the line between them. At the end of the day all that matters is your ball reaches the correct area at the end of the pattern.

LOUVIT
04-25-2017, 07:48 PM
wow I thought it was just me, I also look at or close to the foul line, If I even try to look at the arrows I feel like I will actually fall. I line my feet up and try to stay straight on the approach and kind of know where the ball will go.

fokai73
04-26-2017, 01:03 AM
wow I thought it was just me, I also look at or close to the foul line, If I even try to look at the arrows I feel like I will actually fall. I line my feet up and try to stay straight on the approach and kind of know where the ball will go.

Feel like falling looking at the arrows? There's Something not right here..either your vision, your approach, or both.

Timmyb
04-26-2017, 01:50 AM
Feel like falling looking at the arrows? There's Something not right here..either your vision, your approach, or both.

Nah, I get the same thing. It feels foreign to look that far down the lane. I've looked down the lane after I've thrown, and the ball crosses the same spot nearly every time. To each his own.....

1VegasBowler
04-26-2017, 06:41 AM
I've always been looking at the dots and arrows at the foul line, whether it's going straight up 10 or when I have to go 30 to 10. When something goes wrong it's in my wrist position and/or release.

I also know that Wes Mallot is a foul line bowler as well.

J Anderson
04-26-2017, 08:17 AM
I've always been looking at the dots and arrows at the foul line, whether it's going straight up 10 or when I have to go 30 to 10. When something goes wrong it's in my wrist position and/or release.

I also know that Wes Mallot is a foul line bowler as well.

I think it's been said that Mallot starts with his eyes on his intended break point and then brings his focus back along the intended ball path to the foul line. I forget whether he changes his focus before starting to move or while he's moving. The important thing is that he has visualized or imagined the entire shot before executing it.

1VegasBowler
04-26-2017, 08:29 AM
I think it's been said that Mallot starts with his eyes on his intended break point and then brings his focus back along the intended ball path to the foul line. I forget whether he changes his focus before starting to move or while he's moving. The important thing is that he has visualized or imagined the entire shot before executing it.

ESPN & CBS broadcasts have showed his approach in slow mo a few times, and you can see his eyes looking down towards the foul line when he's getting ready to release.

You can probably find a few of those on youtube as well.

LOUVIT
04-26-2017, 08:51 AM

yes My right eye is very bad.

fokai73
04-26-2017, 11:52 AM
The only time I felt like I was falling off was when I was getting used to finishing my slide an 1" or 2 to the foul line. I used to finish 6 to 7" to the foul line. Finishing closer to the foul line makes the lanes look shorter, thus making targets/areas I use closer.

SRB57
04-26-2017, 09:44 PM
I have recently switched from looking at the fowl line to looking at the arrows. spotting at the arrows gets me through the heads better and a more consistent shot. Especially with the stronger balls today. Steve

JaxBowlingGuy
04-28-2017, 10:19 PM
I spot my breakpoint as I get set and as I start my approach I trace the trajectory back and at release I'm looking just past the foul line.