PDA

View Full Version : Ball Damage

drlawsoniii
05-04-2017, 04:45 PM
Ok I'm trying to figure out a trend that I've been noticing at the house I bowl at. It seems for some reason or another that pearl coverstocks are getting nicked up by the house a lot. I'd venture to say even 3x more than any solid. Is there some known reason that they seem to be more susceptible? The damage isn't typically serious usually just a 1/4" gouge or scrape here and there but my Snap Lock is pretty beat up after my 33 week season, but none of my solids have any damage (from this house). Am I crazy?

Aslan
05-05-2017, 02:28 AM
I've noticed a similar phenomenon.

Of the balls I've used in the past 4 years:

Solids: 3
Hybrids: 3
Pearls: 10

I have had two pearls crack and have noticed the pearls tend to get more little nicks and dents than the hybrids or solids...but that may just be because the sample size is mostly pearls.

I have also had two balls crack that were undrilled...both pearls.

Some have said that Storm balls have a greater tendency to nick and crack...I think RobM talked about that before...something to do with Storm's cover materials...that tend to be very reactive/sticky...but not as durable. Of the 4 balls that cracked on me; one was a Storm, one DV8, one Brunswick, and one Track...so I haven't noticed a difference....but again, sample size, I've only ever thrown one Storm ball.

Another potential factor is how expensive the ball is. My Storm Frantic and Brunswick Slingshot both cracked...and both were lower-end balls. My Track 706A cracked (undrilled)...and it was kinda a mid-level ball. And my DV8 Ruckus cracked...and it was a more "higher end" ball.

It's also easier to SEE damage on polished pearls than it is matte finishes and/or solids...so that's a potential reason.

I'm REALLY struggling with my Ebonite Innovate right now....because it is developing a "track" every 1-4 games...and I've never had a ball do that before at that rate. It leads me to believe that Ebonite's HTR 3.0 Pearl coverstock isn't very resiliant.

Amyers
05-05-2017, 09:42 AM
Well as far as very light scratches I would agree but I thinks its only because they are more visible on the polished surfaces. As far as deeper marks I've actually had more of them on my more surfaced balls but I attribute it more to luck than anything.

bowl1820
05-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Well as far as very light scratches I would agree but I thinks its only because they are more visible on the polished surfaces. As far as deeper marks I've actually had more of them on my more surfaced balls but I attribute it more to luck than anything.

+1

I would say if your seeing more scratches and gouges on your Pearls, that probably means your just using them more than your solids. Also as stated the polished surfaces would tend to show off the wear more.

If your ball surface is showing a lot of wear after a whole season, that probably means your not doing much in the way surfaces changes or touch ups throughout the season.

While large gouges may remain at the end of a season, the minor surface scratches/track wear should be minimal if you've been doing surfaces changes or touch ups during the season.

Typically Pearls were usually harder (Durometer reading) than Solids, so should resist damage slightly more than a Solid.

LOUVIT
05-05-2017, 04:32 PM
I'd get a few people together with similar issues and take it to mgt....

foreverincamo
05-06-2017, 09:30 PM
My pearls are all beat up but my solids are in fine shape. But my solids get far dirtier than my pearls.

foreverincamo
05-07-2017, 03:25 PM
I have a pearl that has a crack across the top of the pin. It also has a huge chunk that was expertly repaired by Jim Vespoint of Cutting Edge Pro Shop. I can barely tell where it was repaired.
I also made a spare ball out of a pin-down DV8 Mutiny Marauder because it's so beat up. Took it to a 4000 Abralon and added a Vise polish with a slip agent and use it for ten pins.