PDA

View Full Version : What's the rule about switching from 2 hands to one hand in league play?

Blomer
06-07-2017, 10:57 PM
I believe if a player starts with one hand in league, they can't switch to the other hand. Is that correct?
What about if a bowler starts two hands, are they allowed to switch to one hand?

got_a_300
06-07-2017, 11:13 PM
I'm not real sure about league but on the PBA
Osku Palermaa switches to one hand to shoot
some spares like the 10 pin.

I don't think you're allowed to switch hands like
going from using your right hand and then switching
to your left hand to bowl unless you are injured or
something like that then it has to approved with the
league to switch hand during the season I think.

bowl1820
06-07-2017, 11:36 PM
I believe if a player starts with one hand in league, they can't switch to the other hand. Is that correct?
Yes, If you start the league right-handed you can't switch to left-handed (except under certain circumstances and you get the leagues permission and you have to reestablish your average.)

What about if a bowler starts two hands, are they allowed to switch to one hand?
If you mean using a two-handed approach (Not to be confused with the two-handed delivery).

Then Yes, since both deliveries are with the same dominate hand, the bowler is considered not to have changed delivery. Therefore it is not in violation of any USBC rules.

JasonNJ
06-08-2017, 12:45 AM
Yes, If you start the league right-handed you can't switch to left-handed (except under certain circumstances and you get the leagues permission and you have to reestablish your average.)

If you mean using a two-handed approach (Not to be confused with the two-handed delivery).

Then Yes, since both deliveries are with the same dominate hand, the bowler is considered not to have changed delivery. Therefore it is not in violation of any USBC rules.

I think my Wednesday night league created a specific clause in their rule book to allow switching of hands? Is that allowed by USBC?

Also from switching to the opposite hand, is that not allowed per game, per night (all 3 league games that night) or not allowed in the league at all unless under special circumstances?

bowl1820
06-08-2017, 01:13 AM
I think my Wednesday night league created a specific clause in their rule book to allow switching of hands? Is that allowed by USBC?
That I don't know, it would probably depend on just exactly what the rule says.

If I had to guess, I wouldn't think so because your supposed to have separate averages for your left or right hand.

It would be a easy way to legally sandbag your a$$ off, If you could switch whenever you wanted and only had one average.

Also from switching to the opposite hand, is that not allowed per game, per night (all 3 league games that night) or not allowed in the league at all unless under special circumstances?

If you start the beginning of the season using say the right hand, you can't switch to the left anytime unless you have permission from the league board of directors, a league officer or the league board .

Rule 118 – Averages

118b. How Established
Each league shall adopt a rule to determine the number of games required to establish an average in
that league. The following applies when establishing an average:
1. A right-handed bowler must always bowl right-handed. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must always
bowl left-handed.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 118b.
118b/1 If a bowler uses his/her opposite hand to make a delivery during a game, what
happens?
If an individual does not have permission from the league board of directors, a league officer
or the league board would then have the following options within the timelines as stated in
Rule 119.
Option 1: Declare the individual’s game forfeited: The bowler would receive zero for the game.
NOTE: Scores bowled by the other team members not in violation stand as bowled.
Option 2: Declare the team’s game forfeited: The team would receive zero for the game.
NOTE: The individual in violation would receive zero. However, scores bowled by the other
team members count toward their individual averages and league awards unless the
league rules state otherwise

118e. Establish New Average due to Change in Delivery
If because of injury or disability a bowler finds it necessary to change delivery from right- to left-
handed or vice-versa, the league board of directors, by majority vote, may permit the bowler to change
delivery. If approval is obtained, the bowler must establish a new average.

fordman1
06-09-2017, 02:32 PM
We had a bowler years back who bowled with both right and left hand. He had two separate averages and was listed twice on the standings sheet. Joe Blow L and Joe Blow R. He had two separate shoulder operations. One on each. Dr. said he should only use each every other week. It was approved by the local assn. and the board of directors.

I think even if you are a two hander you are still either a right or left hander. There are restrictions on holes in the ball. As long as you don't throw two handed right and one handed left. You should be legal.
Or you could contact the USBC rules dept. and get the absolute correct answer!