PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the thumb still

drlawsoniii
06-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Ok folks, I have the same old problem still. I won a DV8 Freakshow Solid on the forum in January and had it punched up with the pin under my ring finger. With it I had a super high track and was rolling over the thumb often. I've never had an issue with any other ball until this one. I dont track over the thumb on my Snap Lock or my Freeze. Well the bridge cracked on the Freakshow and DV8 replaced my ball for free. I asked my PSO if he'd be willing to trade me this ball for a ball that fit my arsenal a little better, and he gave me a Track Kinetic Emerald. He punched it up with the pin over the bridge, but I'm rolling over the thumb on this ball too... What is happening here? This PSO is different than the one who drilled the Freakshow and I told him I was rolling the thumb on it. Is there more likely something wrong with me or the ball?

Blacksox1
06-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Ok folks, I have the same old problem still. I won a DV8 Freakshow Solid on the forum in January and had it punched up with the pin under my ring finger. With it I had a super high track and was rolling over the thumb often. I've never had an issue with any other ball until this one. I dont track over the thumb on my Snap Lock or my Freeze. Well the bridge cracked on the Freakshow and DV8 replaced my ball for free. I asked my PSO if he'd be willing to trade me this ball for a ball that fit my arsenal a little better, and he gave me a Track Kinetic Emerald. He punched it up with the pin over the bridge, but I'm rolling over the thumb on this ball too... What is happening here? This PSO is different than the one who drilled the Freakshow and I told him I was rolling the thumb on it. Is there more likely something wrong with me or the ball?

In my opinion;

me = no
ball = no
PSO = yes

Amyers
06-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Strange you've had that problem with two different balls and two different PSO's. Since your other balls aren't doing this it must be something about the layouts. I would suggest taking the ball and the rest of your arsenal to the PSO and show him what's not doing it so he can get a feel for whats working and what doesn't.

Aslan
06-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Where is the track supposed to be?

I've noticed my track on all three of my strike balls is just below the thumbhole...1 3/4" - 1 7/8". I always figured that track varied by bowler.

drlawsoniii
06-26-2017, 12:01 PM
it does vary by player but it shouldnt ever track over the thumb.

Amyers
06-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Where is the track supposed to be?

I've noticed my track on all three of my strike balls is just below the thumbhole...1 3/4" - 1 7/8". I always figured that track varied by bowler.

Track does vary quite a bit from bowler to bowler but it shouldn't go over the holes. You can hear it when it does thump thump down the lane. some bowlers purposely do this on spares.

Aslan
06-26-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm just wondering if he's trying to come up the back of the ball or develop more of an inside release...and it's leading him to throw the ball in a way where that is starting to happen.

drlawsoniii
06-26-2017, 12:24 PM
I'm just wondering if he's trying to come up the back of the ball or develop more of an inside release...and it's leading him to throw the ball in a way where that is starting to happen.

I could see that if it were happening with my entire arsenal, but it's only happening with the Freakshow that I no longer have and this new Kinetic.

bowl1820
06-26-2017, 12:34 PM
First I would look and see if it's a release issue of some kind.
(I try to avoid plugging and redrilling if I can.)

All your balls should have the same grip measurements, hole sizes, pitches etc. on them. So I would have the grips checked to be sure the balls tracking over the thumb hole have the same measurements as the ones not tracking over the thumb hole.

If their not the same that could be a issue, because it can affect how your releasing the ball.

I probably then would check exactly were I was tracking on the balls not rolling over the thumb hole, find my PAP measurements on that ball. Then find the PAP on the problem ball and compare the too.

Plus I'd mark the "good" PAP on the problem ball, roll a few trying some small variations in my release to see if I'm doing something with my release that is causing it that I hadn't noticed before.

Once you eliminated any issues in release, then start looking at layout options to try and alter the track location.

drlawsoniii
06-26-2017, 01:27 PM
He used my snap lock and took the measurements from it. It is the ball that fits most comfortably in my hand. He also at the same time he drilled the Kinetic, fixed my freeze, the thumb needed moved because i bought the ball in 2012 and my hand has changed significantly since then (Down 80 lbs). When I first started throwing the Kinetic, I was tugging the ball across my body, but I dont think that was a fitment issue. I have since corrected that and use my normal suitcase style release with all 3 balls. I do purposely flatten out my wrist and roll over the thumb on my T-zone for my 10s but again that's on purpose.

bowl1820
06-26-2017, 02:03 PM
I have since corrected that and use my normal suitcase style release with all 3 balls.

suitcase style release! Then your most likely rolling close to a full roller (A full roller typically tracks between the finger and thumb holes, though some don't). So you probably track very close to the thumb hole to begin with.

Try getting your hand a little more behind the ball see what happens. Might try making sure you rotate your fingers in a counter-clockwise a little more when releasing.

drlawsoniii
06-26-2017, 02:34 PM
I take that back, after double checking what the suitcase style release was, as i'm releasing the ball my hand is at about 4:30 if looking from directly behind me. I keep my wrist cupped, and lift straight up when I follow through.

chip82901
06-30-2017, 11:12 AM
So, sounds like you're still off the side a bit on release, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have a bit of an axis tilt myself. But, you're PSO should adjust accordingly. Being a 2-hander (I know, some of you hate us lol), when my in-house PSO would drill stuff for me years ago (before the rule change about balance holes), he would drill a traditional thumb hole, and I would roll over it almost every time. Since, I have taken to a couple different PSO's outside of my house, and the first move made was actually offsetting the "thumb" hole. After the rule change, it actually became easier to lay a ball out. Big thing is, double check your PAP, and run some slow-mo video and figure out your axis tilt. A good PSO can go off of this and drill accordingly.

KYDave
07-10-2017, 08:31 PM
Been there done that.

It's a combo of your release and layout. It will be even more evident on balls or layouts with low flare.