PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma open

fordman1
07-02-2017, 07:29 PM
Why move the finals out of the center where they qualified?
Why put fans on the side of the lanes they distract the bowlers and they have a shiddy view?

mishatx
07-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Why, indeed? It seems like moving the finals elsewhere is a common complaint among fans (I wonder how the pros feel?) Sometimes for TV, not only are the finals in a different venue, they're on a different week!

classygranny
07-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I think I remember reading that the Sonoma County (No Calif) PWBA finals were held in Oklahoma City...that's drastic in my opinion, as it is different weather, traveling, etc.

RobLV1
07-02-2017, 09:19 PM
The sad fact of the matter is that televising finals in bowling is a very expensive proposition, and it's a whole lot cheaper to set up the show in a location where there are just two temporary lanes and some grandstands. It's also a lot cheaper to shoot multiple finals using one set up. Unfortunately, if it wasn't done this way, we probably would see any bowling on TV at all.

J Anderson
07-02-2017, 10:42 PM
This isn't particularly new. In 1998 I took my dad to see the finals of a PBA tournament here in Connecticut. The qualifying rounds were bowled in Milford at a 60 lane center. The finals were in the fieldhouse at Sacred Heart Univercity.

fordman1
07-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Your right John it has been done many times before. It just isn't fair to the bowlers who did the best in qualifying.

Rob my point about putting the fans behind the bowlers in bleachers is that they can alter the results. Just by moving when one bowlers is up and sitting still for the other.

They could have put the fans behind the bowlers there weren't that many of them.

RobLV1
07-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Hopefully professionals can concentrate enough to tune out their surroundings. I think Barnes was done before anyone moved. Part of the problem is that they can't decide weather they want the fans to be like golf fans (shhh, quiet!) or like wrestling fans (just listen to the ridiculous introductions).

J Anderson
07-03-2017, 04:08 PM
Personally it seems wierd to bowl when it's quiet. Bowling second shift leagues, (8:00pm and later starting times), I have often bowled my last frame of the night with only my teammates and the opposing team watching and no one else up on any other approach. Doesn't bother me any more but it still feels odd.

foreverincamo
07-10-2017, 07:47 PM
I saw one PBA event where the qualifying and match play were upstairs, but the finals were in the basement. All the players said the lanes were way different. I believe Parker Bohn won that one.