PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to get ready for the new league season?

JasonNJ
08-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Just curious what everyone does to get ready for the season? Do you buy new balls? Or smaller stuff like net soles for your shoes, replacing grips and resurfacing your equipment?

For this coming season, I picked up a Radical Cash really cheap on Ebay brand new so going to have that drilled up in the next week or two. I'm probably going to get new soles for the shoes and resurface my True Nirvana.

Amyers
08-02-2017, 03:46 PM
I tend to keep my equipment in good shape during the season so usually it's a new ball or two. Going to be adding one of the Brunswick quantums to the bag first off.

BowlingBoards.com
08-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Practice of course is the biggest thing to do to get ready! As far as equipment though, checking your grips to make sure they're in good condition is a great start as well as overall condition of your bowling balls. Make sure you are stocked up on the smaller items, like tape, cleaner, towels, slide soles, etc..

It's couldn't hurt to resurface (if necessary) or at least make sure all the oil is removed from the coverstocks.

Eddy
08-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Me? This is going to be my first new season in 20 years. I'm going to pray a lot.

But back in the day, I would just practice a lot and maybe get a new ball or 2.

santos314
08-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Me? This is going to be my first new season in 20 years. I'm going to pray a lot.

But back in the day, I would just practice a lot and maybe get a new ball or 2.

Aw....I am jealous...been about 25 years for me...just can't find the right knuckle heads to bowl with!

Eddy
08-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Aw....I am jealous...been about 25 years for me...just can't find the right knuckle heads to bowl with!

I'm just really excited about getting back on the lanes. For now, I'm going to join a league and whatever team they put me on, so be it. I'm so happy to be back and wonder why it took me so long.

C J
08-02-2017, 09:15 PM
My first league in about 12 years.. I've been practicing a lot and making sure I have all the small items I need... For the next few weeks I would like to practice a lot more on 100% fresh lanes when the shot is still tight and accuracy matters a bit more. Will have my bowling balls detoxed and resurfaced before league starts.

Eddy
08-02-2017, 10:04 PM
My first league in about 12 years.. I've been practicing a lot and making sure I have all the small items I need... For the next few weeks I would like to practice a lot more on 100% fresh lanes when the shot is still tight and accuracy matters a bit more. Will have my bowling balls detoxed and resurfaced before league starts.

Wow, seems like a lot people are resurrecting their bowling careers, and that's awesome. But on a separate note, are you sure you want to stay with 12 yr old tech? If you're just gonna bowl once a week, that might do, but it also depends on the shot you throw, etc..... just throwing that out there. It's been 20 years for me, so it's a no-brainer to get new equipment. But even if it was 8 years, I would probably get new stuff because I'm stupid and spend way too much money on toys. I just spent over $700 on 3 balls and accessories.

But seriously, depending how it goes for your comeback, maybe one new ball wouldn't hurt.

C J
08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Wow, seems like a lot people are resurrecting their bowling careers, and that's awesome. But on a separate note, are you sure you want to stay with 12 yr old tech? If you're just gonna bowl once a week, that might do, but it also depends on the shot you throw, etc..... just throwing that out there. It's been 20 years for me, so it's a no-brainer to get new equipment. But even if it was 8 years, I would probably get new stuff because I'm stupid and spend way too much money on toys. I just spent over $700 on 3 balls and accessories.

But seriously, depending how it goes for your comeback, maybe one new ball wouldn't hurt.

Oh trust me, I am rocking brand new equipment other than my bowling bag (which will get replaced at Christmas time) lol.. I have expensive taste and like new toys.. My current arsenal is the C300 Tyrant (solid) and Storm Code Red.. My wife is gonna kill me but by March I should have a full arsenal to include a urethane (hoping the RG Hot Cell lives up to the hype).

I would honestly probably still use my old Ebonite Xxcel.. I loved that ball, but it split into a few different pieces being kept in the attic while i was away in the military.... But I'm loving my Storm Code Red, only been back at it a few months and already putting up better numbers than I did back in the day.. 246 today during practice with the Code Red.

Eddy
08-02-2017, 10:25 PM
Oh trust me, I am rocking brand new equipment other than my bowling bag (which will get replaced at Christmas time) lol.. I have expensive taste and like new toys.. My current arsenal is the C300 Tyrant (solid) and Storm Code Red.. My wife is gonna kill me but by March I should have a full arsenal to include a urethane (hoping the RG Hot Cell lives up to the hype).

I would honestly probably still use my old Ebonite Xxcel.. I loved that ball, but it split into a few different pieces being kept in the attic while i was away in the military.... But I'm loving my Storm Code Red, only been back at it a few months and already putting up better numbers than I did back in the day.. 246 today during practice with the Code Red.

Sorry dude, I just misunderstood your previous post. I'm the same way. When I get into something, I don't do it half-way. Even though technically I don't need the latest and greatest Hammer balls, it just makes me feel good inside. I've always been an equipment whore. Only thing is, I don't have a wife to answer to! Ha!

Anyway, that's awesome you're all set up and ready to rock. It's nice meeting you and can't wait to hear about this fall and league play. I don't know about you, but I'm pumped.

mc_runner
08-03-2017, 11:35 AM
One league finishes and the other begins pretty quickly after for me... so there's not a whole lot. I would like a new ball (or 2!) but probably won't bother until there's actually a need. Maybe if I make it to Nationals this year :cool:

Good luck everyone! And if you want to join a league - just put your name in with the center or get in touch with a couple of the secretaries and let them know you're interested. Usually there will be a slot somewhere, almost every league I've been in always has a team needing someone

fordman1
08-04-2017, 11:15 AM
I bowl in a weekend tournament in June, July and Aug. That is about it.

Now being a league Sec. Treas. I have a little more to do.
Go over the Bylaws and make sure that we don't need any revisions to bring up at the organizational meeting Aug. 25th.

Make copies to pass out at the meeting.

Send an email to all the bowlers using BLS.

Mail all bowlers a postcard that tells when the meeting will be and that everyone in the league is welcome and allowed to vote on the rules.

Re do the Bylaws if needed.

Get pay envelopes ready.

Get envelopes for Certification Cards, put each teams cards in envelopes.

Print schedule for the year, print 1st night standings sheet, print recap sheets.

Put each teams Certification envelope, Money envelope, a copy of the rules with schedule and Recap sheet for each pair.

NOW I AM READY TO START.

fokai73
08-04-2017, 11:58 AM
My prep work for the coming season starts in the garage. From taking care of my Equipment to using training aides like the rev trainer with some physical workouts.

I don't do much bowling, but when I do, I work on my approach and spares.

C J
08-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I bowl in a weekend tournament in June, July and Aug. That is about it.

Now being a league Sec. Treas. I have a little more to do.
Go over the Bylaws and make sure that we don't need any revisions to bring up at the organizational meeting Aug. 25th.

Make copies to pass out at the meeting.

Send an email to all the bowlers using BLS.

Mail all bowlers a postcard that tells when the meeting will be and that everyone in the league is welcome and allowed to vote on the rules.

Re do the Bylaws if needed.

Get pay envelopes ready.

Get envelopes for Certification Cards, put each teams cards in envelopes.

Print schedule for the year, print 1st night standings sheet, print recap sheets.

Put each teams Certification envelope, Money envelope, a copy of the rules with schedule and Recap sheet for each pair.

NOW I AM READY TO START.

Man you're job doesn't sound fun at all but I guess somebody has got to do it.

C J
08-04-2017, 12:10 PM
My prep work for the coming season starts in the garage. From taking care of my Equipment to using training aides like the rev trainer with some physical workouts.

I don't do much bowling, but when I do, I work on my approach and spares.

One day I'll have my garage setup for this. Would love to get a ball spinner and all the things needed to maintain my own equipment. How do you like the rev trainer? Looks interesting.

fordman1
08-04-2017, 03:24 PM
C J
I forgot about finding new teams and new bowlers when a team quits or is short.

C J
08-04-2017, 03:57 PM
C J
I forgot about finding new teams and new bowlers when a team quits or is short.

Busy job it sounds like, I'll stick to the bowling part of it haha.