PDA

View Full Version : Muscling the ball...

santos314
08-16-2017, 03:19 PM
I am having a problem muscling the ball instead of a free swing. I feel like when I let the ball down in a free swing my wrist has a tendency to wiggle or turn without staying locked in place.
My wrists are very skinny but I don't feel that the ball is too heavy.(15 pound)
If I control the ball more my release is all over the place, some good, some bad.
Any one have any suggestions or ways to test of the ball is too heavy?

RobLV1
08-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Find a qualified coach. A modern release does not require that the wrist stays "locked in place." The wrist is supposed to break in order to increase the time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers rolling the ball. A good coach should be able to teach you this very quickly.

C J
08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
Find a qualified coach. A modern release does not require that the wrist stays "locked in place." The wrist is supposed to break in order to increase the time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers rolling the ball. A good coach should be able to teach you this very quickly.

Kind of like throwing a yoyo, I have tried this and it felt perfect the first time and I definitely noticed an increase in rev rate and better axis rotation. After that I guess I started to think about it too much and I couldn't do it again cleanly to save my life.

santos314
08-16-2017, 06:44 PM
A coach just isn't an option right now. Don't you need a really high back swing for a modern release?

C J
08-16-2017, 07:42 PM
A coach just isn't an option right now. Don't you need a really high back swing for a modern release?

Nope, backswing height is a preference and is not really NEEDED. May help you squeeze out a little more speed but I have seen a guy at our house with EJ Tackett level revs and his backswing isn't near as high as EJ's.

santos314
08-16-2017, 08:02 PM
Ok, cool. I need to study this some more...I guess you can't use any wrist support with a modern release?

Eddy
08-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Kind of like throwing a yoyo, I have tried this and it felt perfect the first time and I definitely noticed an increase in rev rate and better axis rotation. After that I guess I started to think about it too much and I couldn't do it again cleanly to save my life.

Is there a "Like" button?

I know there isn't. ;)

J Anderson
08-16-2017, 09:21 PM
Ok, cool. I need to study this some more...I guess you can't use any wrist support with a modern release?

True.
CJ is also correct about the modern release not being tied to a high back swing. You will need a loose swing and your timing has to be correct. While many players using the modern release have high back swings it is not the only way to generate the speed needed to match the added revs.

C J
08-16-2017, 09:22 PM
Is there a "Like" button?

I know there isn't. ;)

Haha maybe they will add one. I will probably try it again someday, just too close to league time to be fooling around with it.

Eddy
08-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Haha maybe they will add one. I will probably try it again someday, just too close to league time to be fooling around with it.

I kinda disagree. There's no time like the present to try something new. That's how you improve. I'm not afraid of failing, I'm afraid of NOT trying new things.

RobLV1
08-16-2017, 09:56 PM
The yo-yo analogy is really misleading. A modern release is like a yo-yo when you are "walking the dog." The wrist breaks, the thumb points down letting the thumb out and the wrist stays broken as long as possible until it reloads, letting the fingers roll the ball without lifting. The height of the backswing is irrelevant.

Eddy
08-16-2017, 10:03 PM
The yo-yo analogy is really misleading. A modern release is like a yo-yo when you are "walking the dog." The wrist breaks, the thumb points down letting the thumb out and the wrist stays broken as long as possible until it reloads, letting the fingers roll the ball without lifting. The height of the backswing is irrelevant.

The modern release is whatever YOU make it. There is no one perfect swing or tempo. AND it can vary day to day.

I just love bowling. When bowling becomes a nuisance, then I'll quit.

C J
08-16-2017, 10:12 PM

No, because at the point of release you break your wrist / open your wrist / whatever you wanna call it. Assume you are yo-yoing with a yoyo... Take that same action and apply it to your bowling release and thats essentially what you will do.. I have found some pretty good videos on YouTube where the guy explains it well. I will link them here for you in just a sec.

C J
08-16-2017, 10:13 PM

It can be misleading I agree. But the wrist action to me is literally the same, just on a different plane.

C J
08-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Here you go Santos, hopefully these help... My PSO has told me to do this a few times and it has always confused me as I didnt see how it would put revs on the ball or work at all for bowling. These 2 videos cleared it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwxhgS22gU&t=680s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zccvIVcVkDE&t=23s

santos314
08-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Here you go Santos, hopefully these help... My PSO has told me to do this a few times and it has always confused me as I didnt see how it would put revs on the ball or work at all for bowling. These 2 videos cleared it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwxhgS22gU&t=680s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zccvIVcVkDE&t=23s

Awesome. Thanks CJ!

C J
08-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Awesome. Thanks CJ!

Anytime sir.

RobLV1
08-17-2017, 12:05 PM
The modern release is whatever YOU make it. There is no one perfect swing or tempo. AND it can vary day to day.

The modern release is NOT whatever you make it. It was developed specifically to allow bowlers to project the ball down the lane and control the revs; something that is not possible to the same degree with releases that lift the ball. AND it cannot vary day to day... unless you are not interested in developing any consistency in your game.

Eddy
08-18-2017, 09:33 PM
The modern release is NOT whatever you make it. It was developed specifically to allow bowlers to project the ball down the lane and control the revs; something that is not possible to the same degree with releases that lift the ball. AND it cannot vary day to day... unless you are not interested in developing any consistency in your game.

Maybe you misunderstood me. I meant that not everyone has the same exact release, so yeah, it is an individual thing. And by varying day to day I meant that sometimes we have bad days or are slightly injured or whatever. I didn't mean you should purposely change your release day to day just for the heck of it.

santos314
08-18-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm really interested in learning this release...I am definitely going to study some videos and give it a try. Thanks amigos!

Albundy
09-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Yes hold the ball up at a 90 deg. Angle like a half bicep curl. If youcant do that for 15 seconds then you need to work on strengthening by squeezing something

Hammer
09-27-2017, 09:23 PM
When I make my back swing my ball arm is only parallel to the floor. I have a cupped position in my hand and when I reach the release area I uncup. I have a light grip and don't muscle the ball. I also stay behind the ball as long as possible. I get good revs for a swing that isn't high and decent ball speed.

Albundy
09-28-2017, 11:50 AM
I know my ball fits right but I think I always give it a quick squeeze at the top of my swing then relax. Is this messing me up? I guess I dont trust the grip 100%

foreverincamo
10-01-2017, 01:15 PM
As long as you're relaxed at the release it shouldn't matter if you grab it anywhere else. What hurts is trying to go from gripping to relaxed in a nano-second when letting go of the ball.