PDA

View Full Version : Urethane

santos314
08-24-2017, 08:28 PM
After watching a bunch of recent finals on YouTube and reading articles, is urethane getting more popular with the pros? With all the monster balls out there i was surprised to see the pros throwing more urethanes.

panbanger
08-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Seems to me like it is! When I think urethane, I think of the black Rhino I had back in the 80s. I think that one just had a plain pancake core though. Nothing like the urethane balls of today. It's funny though, suddenly I see lots of Pitch Blues and Pitch Blacks in league :)

ALazySavage
08-25-2017, 08:58 AM
Urethane is definitely becoming more popular with the pros. Also as panbanger said, I am seeing a lot of Pitch Blues and Pitch Blacks in league (which is great if you are not on their team). Pros have higher rev rates and can split hairs on the lanes, thus they don't need/want equipment that creates more miss room but rather equipment that they can easily predict what is going to happen. In league we typically don't have the hand and almost certainly don't have the accuracy so the effectiveness of urethane isn't really there; I would venture to say 90%+ of league bowlers that use urethane would be better off just using a reactive ball.

JasonNJ
08-25-2017, 09:10 AM
If you look at the pro tour, the guys who are successful with urethane are the big rev guys and two-handers. Urethane tend to read early and have a smooth arcing motion to the pocket and they need the predictability that urethane provides. You never see Norm Duke, Walter Ray or most of the women on the PWBA throw urethane. I own both the Pitch Blue and Pitch Black and I'm a low rev guy, 250 revs or so but both balls are really good balls on the right condition but I don't normally use them on a house shot.

Amyers
08-25-2017, 09:35 AM
You guys are correct. People seem to get this idea in their heads that urethane is for wood lanes or light oil and neither are true. Urethane has use for high rev players when the lanes get jumpy and the backends are flying this is not light oil or wood. If there isn't adequate oil upfront or the ball is rolling out urethane will not help.

santos314
08-25-2017, 09:45 AM
That makes sense, I think it was the two handers that were using the urethanes. If they're throwing that many revs they might as well use plastic...lol.

Amyers
08-25-2017, 10:23 AM
That makes sense, I think it was the two handers that were using the urethanes. If they're throwing that many revs they might as well use plastic...lol.

A two hander with one of the cored plastic balls (Widow Spare, Track Spare +) could be a dangerous thing. I've never seen one use either though.

JasonNJ
08-25-2017, 10:34 AM
A two hander with one of the cored plastic balls (Widow Spare, Track Spare +) could be a dangerous thing. I've never seen one use either though.

I was thinking the same thing and I think the answer is most of the two-handers on TV are Storm and they don't have one yet. It'll be interesting to see when the Hot Cell comes out, how'll they'll do with it.

RobLV1
08-25-2017, 04:11 PM
When Belmonte first started on the Tour, he would often throw plastic. Once he got really good, he went to reactive.

LyalC52
08-25-2017, 04:44 PM
I always chuckle when guy pull out the urethane late in the series (burned up lanes)

bowl1820
08-25-2017, 05:47 PM
After watching a bunch of recent finals on YouTube and reading articles, is urethane getting more popular with the pros? With all the monster balls out there i was surprised to see the pros throwing more urethanes.

Pros knew about Urethane for along time, People are seeing it now more because the Pro's have conditions that warrant it's use.

But there's a problem with this, too many people are seeing it (Urethane) as a panacea for all their bowling problems and jumping on the Urethane bandwagon (The Pro's are using it, So I must need to use it too.).

When they might be better off, learning more about the equipment they already have and the proper way to use it.

Lancerdad34
08-28-2017, 08:50 PM
I got a blue hammer and will let you know how I do when bowling starts. Thanks for all the replies!

Brian

santos314
08-28-2017, 09:53 PM
I got a blue hammer and will let you know how I do when bowling starts. Thanks for all the replies!

Brian

Yes!Please do, I have been looking at the Blue Hammer myself for the really dry conditions.

Lancerdad34
09-07-2017, 12:19 AM
Blue hammer worked great for me tonight!

got_a_300
09-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Pros knew about Urethane for along time, People are seeing it now more because the Pro's have conditions that warrant it's use.

But there's a problem with this, too many people are seeing it (Urethane) as a panacea for all their bowling problems and jumping on the Urethane bandwagon (The Pro's are using it, So I must need to use it too.).

When they might be better off, learning more about the equipment they already have and the proper way to use it.

I have to agree with bowl on this one also as too many people are jumping on the Urethane bandwagon
thinking it will make them bowl better but that's not always the case.

To use a Urethane ball to its full effectiveness the lane conditions have to be just right and you also
need to have a lot of hand in the ball most of the time take Belmo, Jesper, Osku, among others with
their super high rev rates they make it look so easy to use a Urethane ball but not so for your typical
bowler and the THS.