PDA

View Full Version : Your Go To Ball

BobbyGunz89
09-03-2017, 01:46 AM
Every Bowler has that one ball that no matter how lost they are switch too and majority of the time find success. Mine is the Columbia 300 Outburst it's not my favorite ball in the bag probably not even top 3 but whenever i'm lost my teammates tell me to go to it or switch back to it after making a change and I almost always find instant success. What's your go to ball?

Stormed1
09-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Pin down polished Chemical X or my polished Covert Revolt (depending on oil volume)

Buster76
09-03-2017, 11:47 AM
Mine is the Columbia 300 Outburst it's not my favorite ball in the bag probably not even top 3 but whenever i'm lost my teammates tell me to go to it or switch back to it after making a change and I almost always find instant success.

So you almost always have "instant success" with this ball and it's not your favorite? That makes no sence to me.......

J Anderson
09-03-2017, 01:05 PM
So you almost always have "instant success" with this ball and it's not your favorite? That makes no sence to me.......

It makes sense to me. As a carpenter, I have quite a few tools. My favorites are the ones that come out of the truck almost every time I'm working. There are some that don't get used very often, but when I need them they sure make the job easier.

Buster76
09-03-2017, 01:22 PM
It makes sense to me. As a carpenter, I have quite a few tools. My favorites are the ones that come out of the truck almost every time I'm working. There are some that don't get used very often, but when I need them they sure make the job easier.

I'm not sure that anology works in his situation. You have lots of different tools and most of them perform different functions. Those tools that you leave in the truck or shop regularly only come out when you need them for a specific functions that your favorite gonto tools couldn't perform.

Bowling balls as tools have one function, to knock down bowling pins. And if you have one that works better than the rest and always works for you, why not make that your go to ball or tool?

J Anderson
09-03-2017, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure that anology works in his situation. You have lots of different tools and most of them perform different functions. Those tools that you leave in the truck or shop regularly only come out when you need them for a specific functions that your favorite gonto tools couldn't perform.

Bowling balls as tools have one function, to knock down bowling pins. And if you have one that works better than the rest and always works for you, why not make that your go to ball or tool?

Because the lanes transition and the "go to" ball may be a horribly bad choice to start with on fresh oil on your home lanes, but is exactly what you need later on or at a different center.

fordman1
09-03-2017, 02:20 PM
John let me guess. Some kind of "Hammer";)
I wouldn't know the other two balls mentioned if I found them on the house ball rack.

JasonNJ
09-03-2017, 04:06 PM
Currently, its my Brunswick True Nirvana. Love that ball now. I can play down and in and move left when I have to and it still rolls great for me.

BobbyGunz89
09-03-2017, 04:52 PM

It's weird because that ball doesn't always feel best in my hand and it's the only ball i tend to roll over the thumb time to time and still strike. But it's not the most comfortable. When i throw my secret agent or phase II as soon as i release it i feel it off my hand. Even though i have a lot of success with the outburst I don't mentally and physically connect very well with the ball even though i do well with it. If that makes any sense.

foreverincamo
09-03-2017, 11:47 PM
I have two. If the shot is with the grain and near the gutter, I like my Hammer Black Widow Legend. If I need to get deep and left, it's my DV8 Ruckus Schizo.

Timmyb
09-04-2017, 12:42 AM
Hammer Black Widow Dark Legend, pin up. 15# gives my old *** a few more revs, it works well in the grease, but can still use it after transition. I started using this last October, and it ran ever game until the end of the season. Keep it at OOB condition (or as close to that as I can do with my equipment). So far since purchase, 4 700+ series, 3 279 games, and from December 20th, 2016, I never shot below 600 with it. So far, it's been about as "go to" as it gets.

Albundy
09-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Ive never owned more than 1 strike ball at a time. If i bowl bad i blame me or the lanes not the ball.

RobLV1
09-05-2017, 01:12 PM
Plastic! No matter how bad the lanes get, I can always get plastic to the pocket. Not great carry, but when the track gets so burned up that the bowlers throwing reactive watch their carry circle the drain, mine gets better and better. Remember the Airplane, or was it the Starship: Plastic Fantastic Lover!

JerseyJim
09-07-2017, 03:51 PM
It used to be the Lane-Masters Terminator which cracked last year. No matter what, if I was lost, it would help me limit the damage.

Eddy
09-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Plastic! No matter how bad the lanes get, I can always get plastic to the pocket. Not great carry, but when the track gets so burned up that the bowlers throwing reactive watch their carry circle the drain, mine gets better and better. Remember the Airplane, or was it the Starship: Plastic Fantastic Lover!

Good one! The Airplane were awesome. Anyway yeah, when things are dry or just not going well, just aim a plastic ball over 2nd arrow. At least it's going to be a more smooth reaction. I use a 14# Pyramid Path. It was cheap and does a great job of going straight when I need it to.

AWbowler72
09-09-2017, 02:19 PM
I would have to say my go to ball on house is my hyper cell skid.It just reacts the right way for me. If its a sport shot however, my most versatile is my old lane #1 dirty bomb hybrid. I know its old but it just is smooth reacting as long as the pattern is 40 feet and under I can always count on it.

chip82901
09-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Rob, I'm right here with you. If all else fails, rocket plastic. I actually took this into account one year during a no-tap tourney at my home center. 5 games, and the lanes transition so much, I went with plastic from the get-go and it didn't fail me. Took 2nd to a stud lefty. Threw 10 naturals in a row with plastic, then left a ringer 10, followed with another natural.

But, reactive ball wise, my go to is Storm Phaze II. Reads the lanes well and lets me make the proper adjustment. It might not be the right ball right then and there, but it will point me in the right direction.

ALazySavage
09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
For me it is my Pyramid Curse. Drilled it with a 40 x 4 x 40 layout and it is the most predictable ball I have ever used. When I get lost/confused I can grab it out of the bag throw a shot and then get a good idea of what the lanes are doing again.

Tony
09-19-2017, 10:52 PM
I would say for me it's the Hy-Road, can throw it when nothing else seems to be working, almost always have it my bag.

BobbyGunz89
09-20-2017, 12:58 AM
I would say for me it's the Hy-Road, can throw it when nothing else seems to be working, almost always have it my bag.

I really need to add the Hy-Road to my arsenal. I hear so many good things. Probably why it's still selling.

Tony
09-20-2017, 09:29 AM
I really need to add the Hy-Road to my arsenal. I hear so many good things. Probably why it's still selling.

It's a versatile ball, you really can't go wrong by having one, there was some talk that the Timeless would "replace" the Hy-Road and finally let Storm retire it, I guess that's yet to be determined. I've got a few friends with the Timeless that like them, but if they announce they are discontinuing the Hy Road, I'll be ordering at least one to keep for the future.

djp1080
09-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Ditto!

mc_runner
09-20-2017, 10:29 AM
Yep, it's the Hy-Road for me too. Its consistent, reliable and versatile enough to give me at least a look on pretty much anything!

BowlingBoards.com
09-20-2017, 01:00 PM
The Hy-Road is excellent! Pathogen is another great go-to ball for us. :)

santos314
09-20-2017, 04:01 PM
The Hy-Road is excellent! Pathogen is another great go-to ball for us. :)

I will second that. I love my Pathogen! This ball is so much better that I thought it would be!!!

chip82901
09-25-2017, 11:01 AM
So, just punched up a Rotogrip Hot Cell. Definitely going to be my go to out of the gate from here on out in my home center. I just did a ball review over in the forum there. Go check it out

Albundy
10-19-2017, 02:55 PM
I've learned to bowl with 1 at a time and a plastic ball. I am by no means consistent and dont avg over 200.... but will lugging 5 balls around up my scores? I think I would just get more confused. Too many options. I don't even think I could get a 3ball bag out of the trunk

JasonNJ
10-20-2017, 02:09 PM
I've learned to bowl with 1 at a time and a plastic ball. I am by no means consistent and dont avg over 200.... but will lugging 5 balls around up my scores? I think I would just get more confused. Too many options. I don't even think I could get a 3ball bag out of the trunk

For a regular house shot, 5 balls I think is excessive, I carry 3 balls usually, 1 dull solid and 1 shiny ball for and my plastic spare ball. Even then sometimes I confuse myself like my other night at bowling. I was bowling pretty well, first 2 games were 209, 203 and I decide to switch to a shinier ball for the 3rd game and I start split, weak 10, split so I switch back to my original but now I'm completely out of rhythm and I struggle to a 155 and kicking myself for the unnecessary ball change.

chip82901
10-20-2017, 05:49 PM

I have my locker down at my local house that is mainly just storage space for me lol. Now, when I go to a tourney, I try to have a ball for just about everything I may face. For instance, I'm taking 5 + plastic with me to a tourney, where I know it's going to be fairly wide open for qualifying, but for me, it's more of a security blanket than anything. I'll be taking: Hot Cell, Pitch Blue, Phaze II, Timeless, Street Fight, and my trusty White Dot. That setup allows to me make any adjustment needed, from surface to core. Hopefully I don't have to use em all, but I know if I didn't take em, I'd be kicking myself as I'd end up needing it.

1VegasBowler
10-20-2017, 07:49 PM
For me, this is difficult to answer. Just 1 ball to pick depends on how the lanes are treating me or how my shoulder feels.

My arsenal allows me many different options when it comes to the go to ball.

IF I had to choose 1 ball, I would probably say it's the original Vandal.

larry mc
10-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Mine is the lane masters Terminator revelation ,, smooth strong controlled arc ,,