PDA

View Full Version : Installing Finger Inserts

Grizzly Adam
09-24-2017, 10:42 AM
I am a "handyman" and there is no real pro shop in reasonable driving distance, so I have come to terms with the fact that I will be doing most of my own ball work. What do I need to know to make sure I get the right size inserts to match both the ball and the bowlers hand? Also, do balls typically get drilled out to a standard size for the insert or are they available in a whole range of sizes?

ytlas
09-24-2017, 12:58 PM
I am a "handyman" and there is no real pro shop in reasonable driving distance, so I have come to terms with the fact that I will be doing most of my own ball work. What do I need to know to make sure I get the right size inserts to match both the ball and the bowlers hand? Also, do balls typically get drilled out to a standard size for the insert or are they available in a whole range of sizes?

For "standard" finger grips the hole is usually drilled 31/32." Since I do my own work I'd drill 61/64 for an insert that felt too sloppy in a 31/32" hole and next smaller size insert was too tight.

Grizzly Adam
09-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Do forstner bits work well?

ytlas
09-24-2017, 01:14 PM

I've never tried them. If you plan on drilling an insert hole in a ball, I'd strongly suggest you try to acquire or have access to a ball jig and press. You'd also need pitch gauges and a few other things.

I've had most of my equipment for 40 years. The press and jig are outdated but they work https://postimg.org/image/ot99y5c45/

Grizzly Adam
09-24-2017, 01:17 PM
I've got access to all but the ball jig, but i will come up with something.

ytlas
09-24-2017, 02:09 PM
I've got access to all but the ball jig, but i will come up with something.

Before the ovaling jigs and mills, the "State of Art" bowling jig was the Rudel jig. I have seen them on ebay

J Anderson
09-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Most of the pro shops where I've been able to see the equipment look like they use common twist drill bits.

JaxBowlingGuy
09-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Are you familiar with Ball layouts, pitched, hand measuments and things like that? If not, you may want to take in as much info as you can before trying to drill balls.

Grizzly Adam
09-24-2017, 04:16 PM
Yes, I am. But only because I have been taking in as much info as I can before attempting to drill balls.