PDA

View Full Version : Mark Roth

santos314
10-25-2017, 09:42 PM
I was watching some early video of Mark Roth vs Pete Weber. Was Roth considered a cranker back then? He had a wild delivery for a plastic ball!

bowl1820
10-25-2017, 09:48 PM
I was watching some early video of Mark Roth vs Pete Weber. Was Roth considered a cranker back then? He had a wild delivery for a plastic ball!

Yes Mark Roth was among the first bowlers to crank the ball.

1VegasBowler
10-26-2017, 02:22 AM
He was absolutely a cranker, and he is considered the father of power bowling.

When Mark was on his game there was NOBODY that could beat him.

He was also considered one of the best (if not the best) spare shooter in his time.

Amyers
10-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Mark did things with a ball that simply weren't even considered possible during that era. If injuries hadn't slowed him down he would have probably been the best ever.

santos314
10-26-2017, 11:18 AM
I love the style of the old school pros. Earl was super smooth also. Dick Weber had a rougher release, i always thought.

1VegasBowler
10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
Mark did things with a ball that simply weren't even considered possible during that era. If injuries hadn't slowed him down he would have probably been the best ever.

Isn't THAT the truth!

Between the injuries, a stroke and now triple bypass surgery, his legacy could have been even greater.

LOUVIT
10-27-2017, 04:58 PM
I tried and was close to a Roth delivery back then. I used a Manhattan rubber ball and a plastic Bonanza...lol He was my Idle at the time, From my era.....I still watch old vids of him when I'm bored and Holman also due to his temper....lol

He was from Brooklyn and I actually shot action against him once in a while, along with a few others.

My friend Tommy Sharker...(Shakey) actually out cranked him, Wish I knew where he was now....

Eddy
10-28-2017, 05:57 PM
Roth was a lot of fun to watch back in the day. I often watch his matches on Youtube. His 7-10 conversion on TV was awesome.

boatman37
01-11-2018, 08:52 PM
I ran the youth bowling league in the early 2000s and Mark Roth came in to run our bowling alley. Talked to him every week. Nice guy. He wasn't there long, maybe 6 months but that is a different story.