PDA

View Full Version : Spinner does it’s job!

foreverincamo
11-02-2017, 06:46 PM
I took a ball from a teammate last week. He has been struggling all season. I put it on my spinner and took it down to 180 grit on 6 sides, then stuck it in a bucket of oil dry for three days. Then I worked it up to 500 Abralon and hit it with Vise compound. He shot his first 600+ series of the season. Never knew that ball could hook!

LOUVIT
11-02-2017, 07:40 PM
good job, bet he was happy..

got_a_300
11-03-2017, 11:25 AM
Yep it's a miracle what a little de-oiling and refinishing
of a bowling ball can do for it.

vdubtx
11-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Indeed, nothing better than a fresh surface on a ball. :cool:

SAbowler
11-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Indeed, nothing better than a fresh surface on a ball. :cool:

Agreed! I'm not as diligent as I should be regarding keeping my ball surfaces fresh, but whenever I wind up spinning/de-oiling them, I always kick myself for not doing it sooner. D'oh!

foreverincamo
11-03-2017, 08:33 PM
This ball hadn’t been resurfaced in 6 YEARS!! It was like it was brand new. Just glad he had a night where he wasn’t so frustrated.

Eddy
11-03-2017, 09:03 PM
Good job coming through for him. I love my spinner, and couldn't imagine being without one. People at my pro shop pay $5 just for a 45 second touch up with whatever grit they want.

Every serious bowler should have a ball spinner.

foreverincamo
11-03-2017, 09:40 PM
My wife wasn’t happy with the cost, but the first day I had it, I resurfaced every ball I owned that needed it, plus every ball in my house the family owned. More than paid for itself on day one.

C J
11-07-2017, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping to get one soon myself. We just moved into a new house with a nice shed with power out back with a nice work bench and a ball spinner would be perfect for it!!!! Only issue is those things are expensive!!!! Lol, but they can make the difference between a bad and good night of bowling, both of mine could have used a touch up for league last night.... A few weeks ago I wanted to throw my Code Red in the garbage but a quick resurface and I was reminded why I love that ball!!!

Eddy
11-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Only issue is those things are expensive!!!! Lol, but they can make the difference between a bad and good night of bowling

I guess it depends on your definition of expensive. My single speed Vertex gets the job done for what I need and it was $230 shipped. To me, it seemed like a reasonable price for what I got. I'm taking surface maintenance very seriously now, considering how much money I've spent on all of my balls.

C J
11-07-2017, 10:39 PM
I guess it depends on your definition of expensive. My single speed Vertex gets the job done for what I need and it was $230 shipped. To me, it seemed like a reasonable price for what I got. I'm taking surface maintenance very seriously now, considering how much money I've spent on all of my balls.

Not sure of my definition but I'm sure that would fit it lol. Yeah, most seem to run between $230-250 and for something that just spins your bowling ball that seems a little steep... I'm still gonna get one though lol. I've seen the difference in reaction that freshening up a dainty coverstock does and it makes a world of difference and having a ball spinner means you can keep them in tip top shape year around. So it seems like it would certainly be worth it.

foreverincamo
11-12-2017, 07:33 PM
I can’t remember what I paid for my setup. I bought the spinner with a complete kit that had Abralon pads from 180 grit to 4000, plus bottles of cleaner, compound, polish, and polish with a slip agent. Maybe $300, but I️ resurface every ball in the house and it paid for itself in one day.

got_a_300
11-13-2017, 11:44 AM
I have the Vertex 1/3 hp spinner myself with the flower pot splash guard
and the guard really does help to cut down on the mess when refinishing
bowling balls.

When I bought my set up back in 2014 the splash guard wasn't as high
priced as it is now I only paid I think it was $49.95 for it but as I said
it is well worth it as it saves on cleaning the walls and or re painting
them and keeps from getting your clothing nasty also.

Here is my setup

1/3 HP Personal Bowling Ball Spinner (http://www.vertexbowling.com/1-3-HP-Personal-Bowling-Ball-Spinner-with-Starter-Kit-v-13stkit.htm)

Flower Pot Splash Guard (http://www.vertexbowling.com/Flower-Pot-Splash-Guard-ibp-flowerpot.htm)

Eddy
11-15-2017, 05:35 PM
I have the Vertex 1/3 hp spinner myself with the flower pot splash guard
and the guard really does help to cut down on the mess when refinishing
bowling balls.

When I bought my set up back in 2014 the splash guard wasn't as high
priced as it is now I only paid I think it was $49.95 for it but as I said
it is well worth it as it saves on cleaning the walls and or re painting
them and keeps from getting your clothing nasty also.

Here is my setup

1/3 HP Personal Bowling Ball Spinner (http://www.vertexbowling.com/1-3-HP-Personal-Bowling-Ball-Spinner-with-Starter-Kit-v-13stkit.htm)

Flower Pot Splash Guard (http://www.vertexbowling.com/Flower-Pot-Splash-Guard-ibp-flowerpot.htm)

I think I paid $9 for a Rubbermaid storage tub and keep my spinner in that. It fits inside it like a glove and prevents splatter from getting out.

Davidjr113
11-15-2017, 08:58 PM
How exactly does that splash guard work? Thanks

got_a_300
11-16-2017, 12:03 AM
How exactly does that splash guard work? Thanks

You have to drill a couple of holes in the base of the spinner and screw in the locking
mechanism to hold the splash guard in place as it has a couple of flip down type of
locks on it.

The splash guard works by catching all of the (for the lack of a better word) spun off
splash as the ball is spinning and the water and junk is spun off of the ball it can get
quite messy at times if you do a lot of wet surface sanding.

I think I paid $9 for a Rubbermaid storage tub and keep my spinner in that. It fits inside it like a glove and prevents splatter from getting out.
I didn't think about doing that at the time I ordered my spinner as I ordered it all at the same time
oh well to late now I guess but that is a great suggestion for anyone wanting to get a spinner as it
will save them some $$$$$. LOL!!!!

Davidjr113
11-16-2017, 07:18 AM
Thanks, I use a tub too, which keeps most of the splatter from getting all over but is does leave the whole spinner, motor, base, cord etc a mess. If the splash guard works well, I guess it would keep the the rest of the machine clean

got_a_300
11-16-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I use a tub too, which keeps most of the splatter from getting all over but is does leave the whole spinner, motor, base, cord etc a mess. If the splash guard works well, I guess it would keep the the rest of the machine clean

I use a towel stuffed down at the base of the splash guard to keep the
splash off of the spinner base and it works quite well and the rest of the
spinner / motor /etc. remains clean I just replace the towel when I go to
clean the splash guard.

Eddy
11-17-2017, 09:19 PM
I use a towel stuffed down at the base of the splash guard to keep the
splash off of the spinner base and it works quite well and the rest of the
spinner / motor /etc. remains clean I just replace the towel when I go to
clean the splash guard.

Good idea, thanks.

larry mc