PDA

View Full Version : has anyone bowled a 300 while making lane adjustments?

Albundy
12-08-2017, 07:48 PM
You have to miss to know you have to move unless maybe you got a lucky strike? Or did you change a ball and how did you know to do so?
Has anyone bowled a 300 while moving over a few boards during the game because you saw the ball hook a little too much or too little but hit the same mark?

I still have too many errant shots that I mistakenly try to read and make an adjustment on but I'm trying to learn

RobLV1
12-09-2017, 07:58 AM
You have to miss to know you have to move unless maybe you got a lucky strike? Or did you change a ball and how did you know to do so?
Has anyone bowled a 300 while moving over a few boards during the game because you saw the ball hook a little too much or too little but hit the same mark?

I still have too many errant shots that I mistakenly try to read and make an adjustment on but I'm trying to learn

A more relevant question would be has anyone bowling a 300 without making lane adjustments. Here's the pros "secret": learn to watch the ball exit the pin deck. The ball should exit directly between the eight pin and the nine pin. If you see the ball start going more towards the eight pin, you are very close to leaving a four pin, and it's time to adjust on your next shot. If you see your ball start exiting more towards the nine pin, you are very close to leaving a weak ten and it's time to adjust. If you can learn to do this, it will do more to improve your bowling than anything else you can learn.

ChuckR
12-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Rob, Correct, but this makes the assumption you can see the ball into the pit. I usually have to make the adjustment after a 10
pin leave. The information in the Shot Adjustment Chart was very helpful.

bowl1820
12-09-2017, 10:39 AM
You have to miss to know you have to move unless maybe you got a lucky strike?

You don't have to have a miss to know to adjust, Like Rob said there's watching where the ball exits the pin deck. There's also watching how the pins fall, changes in your ball motion. All of these are clues and can allow you to adjust before you start to leave something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_vRpu8By9c

So to answer this question, Yes many have.

got_a_300
12-09-2017, 07:34 PM
A more relevant question would be has anyone bowling a 300 without making lane adjustments.

Rob in a word Yes I have bowled a 300 without making the first kind of adjustment
as the lanes were so slick I just fired a straight ball rocket at the pocket so I just
got lucky I guess.

RobLV1
12-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Rob, Correct, but this makes the assumption you can see the ball into the pit. I usually have to make the adjustment after a 10
pin leave. The information in the Shot Adjustment Chart was very helpful.

Based on the original question, it's pretty hard to shoot 300 if you wait to leave a ten pin to adjust. Just sayin'...

1VegasBowler
12-12-2017, 01:03 PM
In today's game, I don't see how one can roll perfect without making even the slightest adjustments.

If you're right handed, your track will get torn up in a hurry, especially if you have others in pretty much the same track.

For the lefties, you can pretty much make your own track because there are so few of them.

J Anderson
12-13-2017, 10:45 AM
For the lefties, you can pretty much make your own track because there are so few of them.

Alway fun to watch when three or more lefties are on the same pair in a tournament,( local, not PBA) and listen to them moan about lane transition.

JerseyJim
12-18-2017, 04:50 PM
I will usually adjust after a high flush hit. I know that the lane is starting to transition a bit.

Albundy
12-27-2017, 10:01 AM
A 42 ft house shot even lefties shouldn't throw outside of 10 right? The extreme outside is for short patterns. Or can oil get pushed between 5 and 10 from the middle

RobLV1
12-29-2017, 09:45 AM
A 42 ft house shot even lefties shouldn't throw outside of 10 right? The extreme outside is for short patterns. Or can oil get pushed between 5 and 10 from the middle

You are getting confused. When we talk about where to play based on the length of the pattern, we're talking about sport shots. On a house shot, a great majority of bowlers play ten or outside, at least to start. Lefties are virtually always outside of ten.

MRomeroMGCER300
02-23-2018, 01:47 PM
I am not sure if anyone covered this, but I would follow The Rule of 31 method, https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Home/Understanding_oil_patterns/ .

This has helped me tremendously in my adjustments and finding a quick shot even during practice session, helps me identify the pattern we have.

To answer your question, I have bowled 3 300s and have adjusted my shot on each of those achievements. For my first one, it was in Lake Tahoe and I was on lane 1 & 2. Because lane 1 was against the wall, I played an up and in shot and lane 2 was swinging the ball because of the type of bowlers we were bowling with (yes I was using two different bowling balls).

I know every person is different and each week is different based on who you bowl with, but I feel it is almost certain that you have to make in game adjustments. It can be as simple as reading you ball reaction as well as how the ball enters the 1/2 or 1/3 pocket (angle). I would watch the video from post from "bowl1820" posted if you haven't to start learning different ways to reach ball reactions and to stay proactive in your adjustments rather than reactive.

good bowling and I hope this post finds you well!

Mike

Amyers
02-23-2018, 02:05 PM
I am not sure if anyone covered this, but I would follow The Rule of 31 method, https://www.bowl.com/Welcome/Welcome_Home/Understanding_oil_patterns/ .

This has helped me tremendously in my adjustments and finding a quick shot even during practice session, helps me identify the pattern we have.

To answer your question, I have bowled 3 300s and have adjusted my shot on each of those achievements. For my first one, it was in Lake Tahoe and I was on lane 1 & 2. Because lane 1 was against the wall, I played an up and in shot and lane 2 was swinging the ball because of the type of bowlers we were bowling with (yes I was using two different bowling balls).

I know every person is different and each week is different based on who you bowl with, but I feel it is almost certain that you have to make in game adjustments. It can be as simple as reading you ball reaction as well as how the ball enters the 1/2 or 1/3 pocket (angle). I would watch the video from post from "bowl1820" posted if you haven't to start learning different ways to reach ball reactions and to stay proactive in your adjustments rather than reactive.

good bowling and I hope this post finds you well!

Mike

The rule of 31 applies to sport shots not your average house shot.

vdubtx
02-23-2018, 03:31 PM
On all of my 300's I have had to make adjustments during the game. Even if I am not bowling a 300, adjustments are needed. I have even bowled with different balls on each lane.

boatman37
02-23-2018, 05:30 PM
You are getting confused. When we talk about where to play based on the length of the pattern, we're talking about sport shots. On a house shot, a great majority of bowlers play ten or outside, at least to start. Lefties are virtually always outside of ten.

Yep. My normal line is right between the 1st and 2nd arrow (on the left). if it gets too dry i move in to the 2nd arrow but never play inside of that.

RobLV1
02-24-2018, 07:45 AM
Yep. My normal line is right between the 1st and 2nd arrow (on the left). if it gets too dry i move in to the 2nd arrow but never play inside of that.

A very good philosophy is to never say never.

boatman37
02-24-2018, 11:24 AM
A very good philosophy is to never say never.

True. And I would be willing to but in 35 years I have never had to. But most of those years were wood lanes with a urethane ball so it is something I want to practice with.

michiganbowlingcoach
03-06-2018, 07:27 PM

Every ball you roll your looking to see if you have a make adjustments. With that said every 300 game, 800 series and 900 series are made while looking to see if adjustments are to be made.