PDA

View Full Version : Finally my coach on Video

Iceman
02-12-2009, 05:37 PM
I put together a 2 minute clip of my coach and his old school style. This is what I'm aiming at.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Note - He's 60 Years old, so he's not into this internet thing and the video editing technology, but I did make it a little razzle within. I showed it to him today, and he laughed but did like it. He said it was the first time he saw himself bowl.

http://itqiceman.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!27B2E0B1A528FE69!220.entry

This Video is on Youtube, but it's all embedded back to my blog on live.

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Very interesting video...I only wish to be half as good as some of these guys on the forum and tv.....My main problem is that I do not have anyone near me who is really any good that I can learn from. I wouldnt mind having a coach and bowling on a league, but I don't think I am ready.

PSBA10
05-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Hammerguy529, I think you need somewhat of an attitude adjustment. Have you ever watched one of the old NIKE commercials? Their motto is "Just do it!" That should apply to you also. If you wait in the wings till you feel you are "good enough" you will be letting a lot of life pass you by.

Join a league. Watch other bowlers. You will see good bowlers in your league that if asked will be willing to help you. No they will not be as good as a coach, but it's better than nothing.

You have demonstrated your desire by joining this forum. Now follow NIKE's advice. Just do it.

Sorry Iceman, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. To me the most accurate and best bowler in history was Andy Veripapa. It sounds like you want to emulate his style. Doing that you can never go wrong.

I wasn't able to open the video however.

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Hammerguy529, I think you need somewhat of an attitude adjustment. Have you ever watched one of the old NIKE commercials? Their motto is "Just do it!" That should apply to you also. If you wait in the wings till you feel you are "good enough" you will be letting a lot of life pass you by.

Join a league. Watch other bowlers. You will see good bowlers in your league that if asked will be willing to help you. No they will not be as good as a coach, but it's better than nothing.

You have demonstrated your desire by joining this forum. Now follow NIKE's advice. Just do it.

Sorry Iceman, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. To me the most accurate and best bowler in history was Andy Veripapa. It sounds like you want to emulate his style. Doing that you can never go wrong.

I wasn't able to open the video however.

Well that is quite honestly some good advice. I suppose I just have some cold feet with getting into such a new sport. It can be a bit overwhelming to the spirit when your trying to become a better athlete amongst the ranks of some much better athletes. I'm working on it. :)

/hijack I apologize Iceman again, very nice video :cool:

tbrownie
05-26-2009, 04:21 AM
hmm, the coach looks like he could use some coaching himself.

Iceman
05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
hmm, the coach looks like he could use some coaching himself.

Why would you make this comment - no one asked about it? This guy grew up in 60's & 70"s when no patterns and everyone used plastic - playing 1 board off the corners. He carries 230 avg THS and 210 PBA.

I hate when people jump in and first start hacking away at something without knowing everything. Thanks TBrownie for keeping it going.

tbrownie
05-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Why would you make this comment - no one asked about it? This guy grew up in 60's & 70"s when no patterns and everyone used plastic - playing 1 board off the corners. He carries 230 avg THS and 210 PBA.

I hate when people jump in and first start hacking away at something without knowing everything. Thanks TBrownie for keeping it going.

:confused: youre welcome

MH1313
05-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I put together a 2 minute clip of my coach and his old school style. This is what I'm aiming at.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Note - He's 60 Years old, so he's not into this internet thing and the video editing technology, but I did make it a little razzle within. I showed it to him today, and he laughed but did like it. He said it was the first time he saw himself bowl.

http://itqiceman.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!27B2E0B1A528FE69!220.entry

This Video is on Youtube, but it's all embedded back to my blog on live.

I'm really diggin' his hat!

I wouldnt' worry what others say about his technique man...it is what it is, he most likely has more knowledge than half of us anyhow. The important thing is he helps you!

some people forget themselves occasionally...just keep rollin!

Cheers

mrbill
05-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I like the vid Iceman, your coach seems like a good bowler to, I would like a coach but im poor hehe..

bigern523
06-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I have to comment on brownie said . Watch to PBA show every week and look at the different way the different pros get it done . Wes Mallot Is a great example . Bent more at the waist than textbook , pulling his thumb out and then back in as he starts his approach . No coach ever taught him that . Read on some of John Jowdys theories and Bill Halls coaching and you'll find Every person is made better by working with whats comfortable to them and fine tuning to make them more consistant .

tbrownie
06-16-2009, 02:16 AM

the reason i made the comment in the first place though, was this is posted in technique, not the videos section. And my take on his technique is that it LOOKS terrible. If he truly averages that high, then i suppose looks can be deceiving. But i could say he averages 290 on a THS, wheres the proof? The BEST bowlers are smooth and in the video he doesnt look smooth at all. That doesnt mean he cant be successful, it just means hes not the best.

gutterball
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I noticed his baby steps on his approach I find myself doing this same thing helps me catch up my rhythm on the other end. I would like to brake this habit but it seems to help. But i like his bowling it is smooth and true.

poflobo
10-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Linky no worky! Can you fixy?:D

I really want to see it. Thanks!

Drano
10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
And my take on his technique is that it LOOKS terrible. If he truly averages that high, then i suppose looks can be deceiving. But i could say he averages 290 on a THS, wheres the proof?

heres the proof

http://membership.bowl.com/USBCsearch/ViewMember.jsp?prefix=1835&suffix=2331

poflobo
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Link didn't work with Firefox, but it does with Explorer!:confused:

Yep, old school all the way and looking good. That's the way it was in the early 60's when I learned.

Not a thing wrong with it today... ask Norm Duke and Walter Ray!:D

TECHNIQUES are like fingerprints and snowflakes... Ain't no two alike.

extraacount
10-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Do you really think theres a right and wrong to bowling? the main goal is to achieve strikes in this game and if you can do it consistantly then your on top of the game.

Iceman
10-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry all - video is posted on Livespace, IE only to view. I'll post new video's to Youtube to make it easier, but they've been axing most of my video's cause of things showing in the video (as in pictures in the background - location - etc.

poflobo
10-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Iceman, do you know what brand and model bowling balls the coach uses?

Iceman
10-06-2009, 02:39 AM
Iceman, do you know what brand and model bowling balls the coach uses?

lol - that's easy - "we" throw visionary mostly - he did turn to the "dark" side and rolled No Beat'n for a little last year. He had 1 BeatN pinned above ring finger, 1 pinned below, loved the pin below ball to get roll early and set.

I guess I have to explain a little here on the video - he is a very accurate player, he plays THS like most high level players do, he plays sports leagues extremely well - all around, he can go into any house and doesn't get ran out at tournaments. He's a great friend (and coach in this case) that I have learned so much from.

On the form looks terrible comment, that in itself is so wrong, but I see others have the view I have, work on 1 form that feels comfortable and hone it out to where it works. I watch some of the PBA new players and old, and I'm more comfortable with the old school styles - I don't like the ball touching or reading 30 boards of the lanes - finding the break point at different angles and wondering why the corners aren't falling.

Isn't the object to knock 10 pins down - who cares how - anyone can do it. 1 night don't make you good or bad - it's what you do all year that defines that. I admit, my form has a lot of different points and angles (depending on which style I use, but I tend to draw back to old school style 90% of the time) It's much more reliable for me and gives me confidence mroe than the old cranker style I use to have - yeah, I shot bigger series with the crank style, but I've got into the 2teens avg stroker style and I have had 4 clean nights leagues this year already.

I'm not taking anything away from anyone - I was a cranker, went to a stroker and my friend and coach in the video has drastically helped and any negative comments on him I take personally - technical videos, blah blah blah - he's a old school stroker. I would not ever say someone's form is terrible and call them out on proof - like the response from Drain (kudos) showing the USBC record, there is so many ppl pointing out what's wrong with everyone else -

Always remember, most days you're as good as any one, but on a given day you're better than everyone......

Strike Domination
10-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Well said Iceman. I looked at the video before and if I remember anything I'd have to say there's nothing wrong with keeping it simple such as the stroker style. I actually want to learn to bowl that way but I feel like I have some limitations. I don't have a lot of revs but my speed is probably slower than average as well. It's rare that I slide right of 25 anymore(I'm a righty).

poflobo
10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
After you learn the basics, your style will depend on your physique. Since no two people are built alike, everyone has his own unique quirks. Changes in body size, weight, injuries or just plain wearing out will cause you to modify parts of your game.

That, my friends, is what makes this game so great! How many other sports can you think of where you can compete from the time you start walking until you are laid to rest?:D

To paraphrase Iceman... Anyone, can beat anybody, on any given day.

Iceman
10-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Ditto Poflobo - unique styles everyone has - honing them to repeat it - priceless. :)

tracy
01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
i started bowling on a mixed couples league this year where some of the bowlers are in their 80's and 90's, when i was asked if i wanted to bowl on a scratch league. my first responce was that i'm not good enough but i joined anyways and glad that i did. the 2nd week the guy i was bowling had a 300. the 4th week , this other bowler against me, had a 300. it was his 65th. i started to feel down and out with my 182 average but soon learned that some other bowlers were watching me and started giving me pointers on things that they saw i was doing wrong. i'm 65 but not the oldest on the scratch league so i'm telling some of you to just get out and do it. it really is helping my game and attitude to become a better bowler.

Phil
01-28-2010, 10:03 PM
i am with Mrbill, i think the style points for not being "cookie cutter" make up for anything else..... and i would love to be a coach.... but i'm just not good enough

JAnderson
02-02-2010, 04:20 PM
I like the simplicity of his game: not much wasted motion, good balance, short steps, back and forth with the swing. True, it isn't the smoothest delivery in the world. Tell that to Mark Roth. He doesn't have the power game splashing pins all over the deck. Well, neither did Earl Anthony. He chicken-wings the follow-through, but have you ever seen Dick Weber bowl?

For just about any criticism of a bowler's physical game you can find someone at the top who had similar issues.

By the way, to honor all of the great coaches out there, not all coaches are good at what they coach.

Strike Domination
02-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd love to be able to stand that close to the foul line actually, but I'm convinced I bowl best standing more towards the start of the approach.