PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 4 man league converting to 5 man league

mattmc82
12-27-2017, 12:42 PM
Anyone ever experienced a league expansion of this sorts? Our league only has 9 lanes, thus 8 workable league lanes. used to be 32 members now we have grown to 40.

We were thinking of making it such that the captain would pick which 4 are starters each week. The 5th man out would still bowl and compete for individual prizes.

the alternative would be to have 10 teams but give two teams bye weeks each week.

thoughts and comments are appreciated.

fordman1
12-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Have 8 five man teams. Why do you only have 9 lanes? Why would you have an odd number of lanes.

bowl1820
12-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Anyone ever experienced a league expansion of this sorts? Our league only has 9 lanes, thus 8 workable league lanes. used to be 32 members now we have grown to 40.

We were thinking of making it such that the captain would pick which 4 are starters each week. The 5th man out would still bowl and compete for individual prizes.

the alternative would be to have 10 teams but give two teams bye weeks each week.

thoughts and comments are appreciated.

The better alternative would be to have 8 five man teams with all 5 players bowling for the team.

Not Having the captain pick 4 each week and someone sit out and just bowl for prizes.

LyalC52
12-28-2017, 03:41 PM
Have 8 five man teams. Why do you only have 9 lanes? Why would you have an odd number of lanes.

his league is only allotted 8 lanes for league and one buffer

If you're going to have 5 on a team, make it a 5 man per team league, I would hate 1 to have to chose each week, or 2 be the sap whose scored dont count towards the team

fordman1
12-28-2017, 05:03 PM
I meant 5 bowlers bowling every week. Why would you have 9 lanes allotted if one is a buffer? You only have 8 lanes and the other isn't for you to bow on. Why even mention it.

mattmc82
12-29-2017, 09:31 AM

they had to tear out the first one to make emergency exit. the place is a dump

bowl1820
12-29-2017, 10:14 AM
they had to tear out the first one to make emergency exit. the place is a dump

Okay, So it was a old 10 lane house at one time and the Fire Marshall said bring it up to code add a exit.

The answer to the org. question is still the same. You have 8 lanes, 40 players, So you have five player teams it's simple.

mattmc82
01-05-2018, 11:02 AM
Okay, So it was a old 10 lane house at one time and the Fire Marshall said bring it up to code add a exit.

The answer to the org. question is still the same. You have 8 lanes, 40 players, So you have five player teams it's simple.

we were hesitant to expand to 5, as to keep the league history records in tact and meaningful (high team series, total team pins in a season, etc)

Amyers
01-05-2018, 11:09 AM
we were hesitant to expand to 5, as to keep the league history records in tact and meaningful (high team series, total team pins in a season, etc)

Get over it things change. If your records from 1978 thrown with urethane or on a different pattern does it really matter much anyway? The important part is everyone gets to bowl and have fun 5 man teams is the way to do that. Just have a lottery with the existing team captains let them each pick a number then draft a person to the team. Easiest way to do it IMO. I've been part of both leagues changing from 5 to 4 and 4 to 5 either works just fine once everyone decides to do it and quit being pig headed (this takes longer than you think)

bowl1820
01-05-2018, 12:00 PM

If you're hesitant to expand and the league has already begun then don't expand. Otherwise your going to have to make some comprises somewhere.

If the league hasn't already begun, then there's not really any problem. You go to 5 man teams, last years history is history.

If the league has already begun and you might check with the usbc rules dept. Depending on how far in you are, you might could split the season and have the new 5 man teams start the next half. The 4 man team history would stay and the 5 man teams would start fresh. (adjust prize list accordingly)

The idea of "making it such that the captain would pick which 4 are starters each week. The 5th man out would still bowl and compete for individual prizes." I think would do a disservice to the bowlers having to sit out.

Amyers
01-05-2018, 12:15 PM
If you're hesitant to expand and the league has already begun then don't expand. Otherwise your going to have to make some comprises somewhere.

If the league hasn't already begun, then there's not really any problem. You go to 5 man teams, last years history is history.

If the league has already begun and you might check with the usbc rules dept. Depending on how far in you are, you might could split the season and have the new 5 man teams start the next half. The 4 man team history would stay and the 5 man teams would start fresh. (adjust prize list accordingly)

The idea of "making it such that the captain would pick which 4 are starters each week. The 5th man out would still bowl and compete for individual prizes." I think would do a disservice to the bowlers having to sit out.

I meant that as from that point on each week all 5 members would bowl not anyone sitting out. the captains picking by lottery is simply to insure that arguments don't break out over who is bowling with who.

bowl1820
01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
I meant that as from that point on each week all 5 members would bowl not anyone sitting out. the captains picking by lottery is simply to insure that arguments don't break out over who is bowling with who.

I understood what you Amyers were saying, I wasn't commenting on your post.

I was referring back to the OP's orig. post about having players sitout.