PDA

View Full Version : Which pin is easier for you to get 7 or 10?

The KingPin
02-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok so those pesky single pins kill me.

I must say that the 10 is easier for me, but what about you?

Which pin is easier for you to pick up on a regular basis? 7 or the 10

Jord_84
02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
7, I shoot straight up the second arrow and my ball takes off and finds that sucker...on wood lanes anyway. I'd be screwed doing that on synthetics.

Iceman
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
7's are no problem for me either, like Jord, playing second arrow with less speed (even on synthetic Jord, so you will get them too) gets them, I can't remember last one I ever missed). 10 pins are around 85% these days but I'm using my strike ball. I don't use a spare ball, as it as greatly helped me flatten my hand to get them. I see so many people grab a spare ball from their bag and miss it. I can do that with my strike ball and not waste any time. :D Usually when I miss, I'm only off a board or 2 to the left. I rarely go into gutter. So I then move feet 2 boards deeper and mark 2 boards to stay in the oil longer sliding to the 10 pin. I try not to let it roll to early on them, but sometimes it does anyway.:rolleyes:

The Bowling Guru
02-13-2009, 12:00 AM
7 pin is easier for me as I have a high rev rate. All I have to do is fire the ball up the 1st arrow, and that sucker will rip across the lane and take it out. I like to rev the ball up, which sometimes causes me to miss some 10 pins because I fail to flatten it enough.

Tjames300
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Being a right handed bowler people would think 7 pin would be the easiest for me but actually the 10 is the easiest and that probably comes from the volume of them I shoot. Some nights I leave 10 pin after 10 pin so I have had to learn to pick them up or suffer huge scoring swings. I have gotten so I shoot all corner pins directly at them because when you get into the tournaments such as nationals you can't hook the lane into spares as the volume of oil will not allow it. I throw my strike ball and just flatten my hand out to kill the hook. It seems to work for me.

maverick_124
03-31-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm a righty and it very hard for me to get the 7 pin...and very easy to get the 10 pin

MH1313
03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Tjames, when you keep leaving 10 pins move back on your approach 4-6inches...do everything else the same. You'll be amazed at how that typically cleans them up.

I personally HATE 7 pins...i shoot around 85% on the pesky little suckers...but half of that is my nerves. the 10 pin is easy for me because my high school coach had us do pushups if we missed them. I tell ya you only miss a few and you WON'T miss anymore!

Tjames300
03-31-2009, 04:42 PM
MH313, Thanks for the advice I have in fact tried that at times and it is a fine line between the 10 and the 4 then for me. Ball sets up just a touch high and then it is a 4 pin. I have been able to clean up 10 pins by moving back a few but I tell you some nights or some tournaments it just don't matter. Change balls, change angle, change rotation or anything and guess what 10 pin! Oh well I love the abuse so I keep going back! Again thanks for the reply I do forget that at times.

kev3inp
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
It's pretty much the same for me since I got my spare ball and throw straight at either side. I got so tired of missing left or right of the 10 because of misgauging the oil that I use it for most of my single pin spares. Oh, I'm lefty.

dougb
04-02-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm a righty and it very hard for me to get the 7 pin...and very easy to get the 10 pin

Also a righty, and it's easier for me to pick up the 10-pin. I throw straight and plastic for right-side spares, and my strike ball for left-side. Sometimes my ball hits too much oil and skids right past the 7.

ebowler
04-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I use my plastic on the 7 or 10 pin. I can make the 7 about 90% of the time, but the 10 is only about 70%

I find it works best for me, if I don't leave them standing.

playbowl
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
This is a debate that will rage on forever and will create heated discussions in league play. There are many different thoughts on the matter but it all boils down to personal preference, comfort with your game and are you still having fun.
As a coach, anytime someone asks for advice I recommend using a Polyester spare ball. Take the lane condition out of the equation. With a ball that only hooks a maximum of 4 boards you have one more opportunity to practice your strike ball release. To roll it straighter yet, break your wrist and roll up the back of the ball. I am an advocate of using spare formulas and teach many different combinations to accommodate many different styles of bowler. Is a 7 or 10 pin easier? Both the same as my single pin percentage is around 95%. If you only get 70% now, getting 3 more in every series will raise your average 10 pins. Watch the exempt players on tour and see what they do, they are great role models.

Bowling is fun - winning just adds to the enjoyment!

alltenback
04-06-2009, 12:52 PM
I right handed and I hate getting 10 pins but I really think they are easier to shoot at then 7 pins.

But last week I was missing both 7 and 10 pins. It was a bad night for my spare game.

maverick_124
04-06-2009, 11:19 PM
i use my strike ball for both 10s and 7s. i just cant hook into a 7 pin . its extremely hard for me

Graaille
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I've gotten a lot of practice at both, and I've found that I get on streaks where one is easy, then the other his. But I say before every shot "We do not fear the 10 pin".

Seamistlark
04-14-2009, 08:55 AM
I have better luck with the 10 pin. I am able to flatten out the shot and pick it up with my Resurgence. The 7 pin shot seems to take off on me sometimes.

No Open Tenths
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
The 7 is easier to miss! I throw plastic at righthand spares and am ~95% on ten pins. I throw my strike ball fairly straight at left side spares and am probably ~95% on seven pins as well, however every once in awhile my body gets out of alignment and I miss them to the right.

Strike Domination
04-19-2009, 01:58 AM
Being a righty, the 7-pin is easier for me because I hook at it, this gives me more room for error. The exception might be on sport shots in which case throwing straight is probably better for the 7-pin even. In that case, I'd probably say 10-pin.

robynsdad
04-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I am a left handed bowler, and I have the worst time in getting the 7 pin. For me, it is psychological, because when I feel confident, I can get it. When I am a little shaky, it's in the gutter or just misses to the right.
I don't even think about the 10 pin. It's usually a simple shot.

dpmusic70
04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm a righty and I have a harder time making the 10 pin because even though I have a plastic spare ball when I aim for the 10 pin sometimes my ball hooks (even though it's not supposed to. I think I have a better chance of making the 7.

Strike Domination
04-20-2009, 09:05 PM
robynsdad, I agree that confidence is big. That applies to pretty much everything in bowling but some people when leaving their ball-side corner pin panic. I find just telling myself that I know I can hit it is helpful, and trying not to baby it.

dpmusic70, I suggest taking some time to practice making your ball go basically dead straight. That way, you know it'd be just a matter of executing a decent shot and you'll hit it.

Jrock4207
04-25-2009, 09:54 AM
10's are easier for me but I dont mind shooting the 7. Depending on the lane condition determins on how I shoot them. If they are dry I will just use my spare ball and throw it from the right corner across. If they are semi oily I will use my strike ball with some rev on it

kev3inp
04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
dpmusic70, I suggest taking some time to practice making your ball go basically dead straight. That way, you know it'd be just a matter of executing a decent shot and you'll hit it.

She tries hard to throw it straight, but seems to slow down her speed, rather than go faster, and she puts more hand into the ball, too. I can't figure it out. I think she's trying to steer the ball rather than believing in the shot, but I don't know. This may be another instance of getting her another lesson. I'll bet we could win one from Let's Go Bowling, but that's a long drive for a single lesson.

We do need more practice time, but that's been hard to work into the equation lately. Well, pretty much the last 6 months for various reasons.

fbushstl
04-25-2009, 10:43 AM
ten pin is easier for right handers

jaws1945
04-27-2009, 10:45 AM
for me the 7 pin is easier , however I am pretty good at the 10 pin as well

Az_Bowler
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
On sport in a competitive environment, both the 7 and 10 are challenging, as a former collegiate bowler I've made and missed my fair share. On house the 7 is easier cause you can play em safe by going up the dry boards with soft speed. However there is no easier way to get the 10, best thing to do is to get soft with the wrist position, walk towards the pin and throw an A game shot.

dpmusic70
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
We bowled last night and I did make a few 10 pins. If I can remember to take off my wrist support and throw my spare ball faster I have a much better chance at making those pesky 10 pins.

kev3inp
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
She's pretty deadly on those poor 7's. Too bad she doesn't leave them as much. I hope I leave a shiitake-load (;)) when we bowl scotch doubles in NC this July. We'll clean up.

branstew
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
10 is the easiest and that probably comes from the amount I leave. Some nights I leave 10 pin after 10 pin so I have had to learn to pick them up or suffer huge scoring swings. . I throw my strike ball.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
7's are no problem for me either, like Jord, playing second arrow with less speed (even on synthetic Jord, so you will get them too) gets them, I can't remember last one I ever missed). 10 pins are around 85% these days but I'm using my strike ball. I don't use a spare ball, as it as greatly helped me flatten my hand to get them. I see so many people grab a spare ball from their bag and miss it. I can do that with my strike ball and not waste any time. :D Usually when I miss, I'm only off a board or 2 to the left. I rarely go into gutter. So I then move feet 2 boards deeper and mark 2 boards to stay in the oil longer sliding to the 10 pin. I try not to let it roll to early on them, but sometimes it does anyway.:rolleyes:

I do the same on 10's and to prevent early roll i aim further down the lane about 3-5 feet in front of the pin. Causes me to extend out more and the ball rolls later.

Evilash71
05-23-2009, 10:04 AM
essentially i had to switch to my strike ball for tens. I move to about the 30 board or so depending on oil at the time.

I aim out further on the lane about 3-5 feet in front of pin. I am for center or just right of center of pin. I alter my fingers a bit bringing in the index finger closer and extending out the pinkie to hamper the hook and i bring my hand around the side more to start with instead of from behind the ball.

Ive been far more successful doing it this way than with my spare ball.

What tends to occur is ball skids through oil, hits the backend a bit late, starts hooking a little causing it to flatten out and not go into the gutter, then it gets in a roll and takes out the pin.

ltrain21578
05-24-2009, 06:19 PM
I throw plastic at my 10 pins and my strike for the 7 pin. All I do is throw my hook ball right over the 20 arrow and it walks right it. As you can see there are many diffrent ways to approach this. you just have to find out what works for you. And when I throw my 10 pin with plastic I stand on 40 and throw on an angle right throw the head arrow and it slides right in. Keep in mind with plastic you dont need to throw very fast it will maintain its line.

Hammerguy529
05-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmm, I'd like to start off by saying that I have quite a bit of trouble with shooting the 10 pin. As much as I try to keep straight, I always end up hooking across the lane at the end. 7 pin is fairly easy without much issue. Due to having so much trouble throwing a strike ball at the 10, I figured I'd buy a spare ball, and so its waiting to be drilled.

mrbill
05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Ok so those pesky single pins kill me.

I must say that the 10 is easier for me, but what about you?

Which pin is easier for you to pick up on a regular basis? 7 or the 10

I think there both hard but if I had to say, it would be the 10 pin since im a righty:o

Jamski
06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Weird. Me too. You'd think it would be the other way around.

fbushstl
06-05-2009, 02:03 PM
honestly for right handers its the 10 because depnding on the oil condition its easier to go straight then to hook the ball at the 7

Jamski
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
honestly for right handers its the 10 because depnding on the oil condition its easier to go straight then to hook the ball at the 7
Which is why I'm finally going to break down and buy a spare ball.

Any suggestions? Or will pretty much anything plastic do?

manningm
06-30-2009, 12:21 PM
For me the 7 pin is much easier to pick up than the 10 pin!

Mike Manning

Bygnel
07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm gonna say like probably most righties, it is the 7 pin.. I will say though I am getting a little better at 10 pin shooting every season..