PDA

View Full Version : Finally some good news!

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Just for kicks, I stopped at one of the local lanes today to check the place out that I haven't been to in 30yrs. It wasn't bad, 34 lanes and fairly up to date. It's a little dark in there for my taste but overall not bad. I didn't bowl, just a passing by type of thing. As it turns out, I walked out of there with a job! Working the counter, pin chasing and they will train me to be a mechanic. In addition, bowling coach! I'm not certified but it's definitely something I had plans on doing anyway. This will be great. Maybe not the most glamorous or highest paying job for many but for me it's much better than what I've found in months. Plus, unlike many of my previous jobs I will enjoy this one. The best part is, I can bowl all I want for free! Off work hours of course.

SAbowler
02-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Nice! Congrats on the new job!

JasonNJ
02-07-2018, 04:28 PM
That's great congrats. I've been thinking about trying to get a part time job at my local alley too.

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Thank you, I appreciate it. It's been a long road. The job market sucks. The last place I worked I was the only one that wasn't a felon (not kidding) and that spoke English as my first language. Again not kidding. Illinois is one of the most difficult states to find work. It's all either temp work or low paying contract work. At least at my age without any college degrees. 23yrs experience in telecom including management didn't help squat. All the telecom companies out here have low pay, require insane travel out of state and no company vehicle. The last offer I got, I would have made more at McDonalds. The pay was higher but using my Tahoe, just the gas alone would have used 1/2 my paycheck. Not to mention wear and tear, hotel rooms blah blah blah. I think the bowling alley is great. Plus I don't have to say "Paper or Plastic?" or "Would you like fries with that?". I'll find out the pay and such tomorrow night but whatever it is, it's better than the $0 I'm getting now and it's right down the road. I'm gonna enjoy it.

boatman37
02-07-2018, 04:47 PM
Awesome news. But hey, there may be the occasion when you have to 'test drive' the pin setter? A few frames just to be sure it works right? And on company time...lol. Again, awesome news!

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Awesome news. But hey, there may be the occasion when you have to 'test drive' the pin setter? A few frames just to be sure it works right? And on company time...lol. Again, awesome news!

Good point! My kids already asking to go there and bowl LOL Thanks bud

jaypeesmith
02-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Congrats. Thanks for letting me read some good news, today.

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 05:02 PM
Congrats. Thanks for letting me read some good news, today.

My pleasure. It's nice to see that the light at the end of the tunning isn't an oncoming freight train for a change.

vdubtx
02-07-2018, 05:21 PM
Congrats!!

yetigreg
02-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Sound very exciting Phonetek, they say if you can make a living with what your passionate about you'll never work a day in your life! Mine is eating, can't seem to find a job that will pay you to eat hmm maybe food critic.

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Thanks. I think what actually helped which I didn't mention is that he remembered me from when I was a kid. He worked at a different house that's gone now that I used to frequent. He was a partner that the pro shop in that place. When I mentioned his partner and that I bought that 9P Original Yellow Dot from him, and that he gave me free coaching, it clicked who I was. He knew my older sister too, her deceased ex-husband and her second deceased ex-husband. Wow that sounds bad. Anyone wanna be #3 she's single? Just kidding. Anyway, after that whole conversation it was a lock. It seems that even after all these years I can't walk into a bowling alley without running into someone I know. Kinda cool

Phonetek
02-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Sound very exciting Phonetek, they say if you can make a living with what your passionate about you'll never work a day in your life! Mine is eating, can't seem to find a job that will pay you to eat hmm maybe food critic.

How about a chef? You can be like Chef Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen. Angrily smash food, scream and insult everyone then get paid wheel barrows of money for doing it. LOL Actually, culinary was my first choice for a career but the school I was going to go to shut down the year I was going to go so I never did it. Telecom just happened, wasn't even on my list.

BowlingBoards.com
02-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Congratulations!

Phonetek
02-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Wow! A congrats from the big guy on the site. I'm honored, thank you!

bdpeters
02-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Very cool, sounds like it is right up your ALLEY

Phonetek
02-08-2018, 03:09 PM
OHHHH SNAP! Badum bump! Oh no, here come the puns! LMAO " Thanks bdpeters =)

Phonetek
02-09-2018, 01:29 AM
Well....Being that this is the internet being honest with people isn't a necessity and you can bs people all you want. I could have kept this quiet and nobody would have been the wiser. However, that's not my style. I can't live a lie even on the web. I went in to talk to the boss today about this job. As it turns out, he had a pin chaser leave a few weeks who left because he moved. He wanted to hire a guy to fill the gap. The past couple weeks he's given his other two guys more hours to cover. They are apparently happy with the extra hours including the overtime.
He said leagues will be winding down in a couple months so hiring someone else wouldn't be his best option. I tried my best, told him I'd do whatever he needed done. Teach me to fix the pinsetters, porter, oil the lanes, spray bowling shoes or wipe down house balls I don't care. He said if I wait until August he'd hire me in a second. After a lengthy conversation he left me with "I'm not saying yes but I'm not saying no either, I need time to think about it" I did ask him and I said to not take me as a smarta$$ but if you didn't need a pin chaser then why the "Help wanted Pin Chaser" sign on the doors? He said he didn't realize they were still there.
I did see the guy I talked to last night after I talked to the boss. He asked me how it went and I filled him in. He was just as shocked as I was. He said to call him tomorrow as he was gonna go talk to the boss to see if he can influence him some. He felt so bad because he figured it was a no brainer and he apologized for getting my hopes up. I assured him it was all good it wasn't his fault. He said if I need any work done on my equipment done, no charge. I wouldn't do that, I'd just shove the money in a hole of the measuring ball when is isn't looking. So, I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what happens. I have nothing to lose.

So to sum it up, I'm expecting a "no" in the end at least until August. I think he felt to guilty to come out and say it but I can read the writing on the wall. At one point I was making 90k+ a year as a tech. I've lost many opportunities far better than this and squandered others and never gave it a second thought. Realistically speaking, this is a bowling alley....why the hell am I so upset and disappointed about this?

I figured I'd be truthful and say how it turned out rather than continue to get congratulations for something that didn't happen. I don't have a good of memory as I used to, it's easier to remember truth than it is to keep track of lies because they never end with one. Plus I'd rather be known as a stand up guy over a bs'er, plenty of them around already. Don't worry though everyone, there is 3 other bowling alleys within the same distance I can try after this mega snow storm is over. I haven't given up yet.

bubba809
02-09-2018, 07:34 AM
Wow, have you met Aslan?

You two would put together a killer montage!

Phonetek
02-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Wow, have you met Aslan?

You two would put together a killer montage!

No I have never met Aslan. I've only been here just over a month and from what I can tell he hasn't posted for a few months. I have read hundreds of his posts so I get the joke.

vdubtx
02-09-2018, 12:22 PM
no i have never met aslan. I've only been here just over a month and from what i can tell he hasn't posted for a few months. I have read hundreds of his posts so i get the joke.

That made me LOL!!

bubba809
02-09-2018, 12:38 PM
No I have never met Aslan. I've only been here just over a month and from what I can tell he hasn't posted for a few months. I have read hundreds of his posts so I get the joke.

He may not have many posts of late, but Aslan is always here. Trust me.

djp1080
02-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Tough break! By the looks of it there are plenty of bowling places not too far from where you're at. I guess I could have fun just stopping by in some of these places just to see what's going and what's not. My wife and I were looking a cars a couple of years ago out near Elmhurst and Car Max. We took a break and walked up to Hillside Lanes right down the street. It looked pretty nice from the outside and walked in. The lanes were all busy with leagues that afternoon and the place looked like it was in really good shape. I don't think I'll be going back there any time soon though.

Phonetek
02-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Hillside is another one, it's probably 10 minutes farther than Lisle if that. I'll put it on the list. Funny how many are around even though a lot have closed. What did we say like 5-6 in the past 10 yrs.? Lets just hope that trend doesn't continue.

Phonetek
02-13-2018, 09:37 PM
Lets try this again. I got called from the PSO at the place I first thought I had a job at. He hooked me up. He called his friend at another bowling alley and I went there for an interview tonight. A little more involved because I'll be also working in the bar (new experience for me) plus counter & pin chasing.

After talking for a while to the boss he thinks I would be a good fit to train as the mechanic. The guy they have is ready to retire and he wants someone for that. He took me back to introduce me and to check out the equipment. I'm all for it. From what they said AMF mechanics are harder to come by. They don't have Brunswick, the old B-2's. Little more electric than mechanical. Plus they have all wood lanes, hard to find these days. I think it went very well so I'm optimistic, I'll find out the verdict tomorrow.

On a side note, I stopped by the first place to thank the PSO guy for helping me out. He took my ball from me and it's already plugged, he did it in front of my eyes and will be ready on Thursday. It's not a new ball still the 16lb but it's something in the meantime. Plus he already fixed the thumb of my blue Hammer. I should be good to go until I can finally figure out my arsenal. It will be nice to throw a ball with nice soft grips that fit again. I can't wait to try it out.

Wish me luck

bdpeters
02-14-2018, 09:02 AM
hope all goes well, will be awaiting the verdict.

Phonetek
02-15-2018, 02:17 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL! I GOT IT! They were very interested. It would be easier to say what I won't be doing rather than what I will be. I won't be a porter and taking out trash, other than that everything else. They care a lot about family.. My kids bowl free, me and wife 50 cents a game. They would even allow me to bring the kids if I had to while I work. Plenty for them to do aside from bowling. They have a game room, pool tables, live bands and a movie theater (free movies) so this is ideal. I go in Monday for paperwork, drug test blah blah blah. On the schedule a week from Friday.
I have to cut my long hippie hair off but I really could care less.

JasonNJ
02-15-2018, 02:26 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL! I GOT IT! They were very interested. It would be easier to say what I won't be doing rather than what I will be. I won't be a porter and taking out trash, other than that everything else. They care a lot about family.. My kids bowl free, me and wife 50 cents a game. They would even allow me to bring the kids if I had to while I work. Plenty for them to do aside from bowling. They have a game room, pool tables, live bands and a movie theater (free movies) so this is ideal. I go in Monday for paperwork, drug test blah blah blah. On the schedule a week from Friday.
I have to cut my long hippie hair off but I really could care less.

Congrats again!!! This sound like a better gig than the first one so it all worked out.

Phonetek
02-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Congrats again!!! This sound like a better gig than the first one so it all worked out.

Thanks again! Everything happens for a reason. Yeah it is, plus the manager is a lot cooler than the other guy. I will get along very well with him. He's a great guy. I forgot to mention, I will be able to coach here too and it's not voluntary like the other place. Here the bowling alley also pays the coach as well. They will pay for all the certification fees for me as far as I'd like to go, bronze, silver, gold whatever. A lot of perks to say the least, I'm gonna love it.

boatman37
02-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Awesome! I told you after the last one fell through that it would all work out. I have a lot of answers and once in awhile one is right...lol. Great news and I bet your son is as excited as you are.

Phonetek
02-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Yep, they all just got home and I broke the news. My son wanted to go bowling tonight LOL It's official but I think we will wait until I actually start working there.

yetigreg
02-15-2018, 06:46 PM
So happy for you! Not everyone gets to work at something they love. I landscape but it pays for pizza, ice cream, and bowling which are things I love. lol.