PDA

View Full Version : If only throwing 1 ball which one?

yodes
02-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Hello everyone. I'm looking for recommendations on what ball to purchase if only throwing 1 ball (including for spares) for THS. I know ideally I need at least 3 (2 hook and a spare) but that won't happen for awhile. My dilemma is I would lean more toward a solid for med-heavy but since I'll be using for spares as well I'm thinking maybe I should go with a pearl for light- med? I haven't bowled in many years but when I did I had a 175 avg. I'm a stroker with med speed and revs. Prefer up and in but can easily slow my speed and add revs to throw inside as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RobLV1
02-11-2018, 10:01 AM
If you are only going to use one ball for everything, use a plastic spare ball. What you lose in carry for strikes will be more than compensated for by picking up spares. Because of degenerative bone disease, I can no longer generate enough speed to throw reactive. Over the past month or so, I've managed to average about 190 using only plastic. The extra added bonus is that when I occasionally throw a 220 game, I know that I really earned it... it was because of my bowling, not the ball.

yodes
02-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Hmm. I did not expect that answer. You may very well be right but I know I won't be able to do that. I need to have some sort of hook and I'm sure I don't have the revs to hook a spare ball.

boatman37
02-11-2018, 10:34 AM
I just bought a Hammer Black Widow Gold and got it drilled pin up. The only problems I have with spares are anything left of the 2 pin (4 and 8 aren't too bad). The 7 is pretty tough (I'm a lefty). The ball comes back in from the edge of the gutter and misses the 7 to the inside. I would think with a little less aggressive drilling pattern it might have a little less hook and be able to get those 7's. Talk to your PSO about it.

yodes
02-11-2018, 10:55 AM
This is actually one of the balls I was considering. Just worried it may be too aggressive for my only ball. I thought pin up was the less aggressive drilling?

vdubtx
02-11-2018, 11:24 AM
If you can flatten your hand out to get corner pins, you could use any ball you want.

Also, a great article on pin up vs. pin down drilling.

http://news.stormbowling.com/2017/05/10/pin-up-vs-pin-down/

yodes
02-11-2018, 11:33 AM
I can somewhat but still hook away at the last second on the 10 pin. Assuming that wasn't an issue how aggressive of a ball. Solid or pearl, etc.

bowl1820
02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Resin, Urethane or Polyester (Plastic), There's always a give and take.

IMO if you really only want one ball and Your only going to bowl on a THS then go with a Urethane ball.

It's more aggressive than plastic and while it's earlier than Resin, it's not going to over react to the dry like resin can. So you'll have more control especially when the lanes have been broken down.

It's more durable than plastic, Surface changes will allow you to play a wider range of conditions and you'll be able to create more entry angle than you could with plastic so you'll have better carry and as long as you know how roll a straight ball you'll still be able shoot your spares.

yodes
02-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Good info. Will urethane still hook some on oily conditions? Any particular balls you would recommend?

bowl1820
02-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Good info. Will urethane still hook some on oily conditions? Any particular balls you would recommend?

Yes, Urethane will hook on oilier conditions.

Urethane was the "oil" ball before resin, Urethane balls just react earlier on the lane and have smoother move down the lane. Where as Resin goes long and has a hard, sharper reaction down lane.

I haven't used any of the new Urethane's, I have a old Burgundy Hammer which I'm looking to replace at some point though.

Pretty much the one you see most used on TV is the Storm Pitch Black.

There's also the Brunswick True Motion and the Hammer Black Widow Urethane, Motiv has some and Pyramid is supposed to becoming out with one.

I would prefer a two piece ball (cover and core without filler) if I can.

Some things to remember with urethane is , wipe it a lot and if you leak it out it's not going to recover like a resin ball (but more than plastic). Also some balls listed as urethane are not pure urethane, their just weak resin balls, Not a deal breaker just be aware of it.

mattmc82
02-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Vdubtx - nice article!

Bowl1820 - when you say leak out do you mean a hot soak?

bowl1820
02-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Bowl1820 - when you say leak out do you mean a hot soak?

NO! When you "leak" a ball out, That means you rolled the ball too far to the outside. the opposite would be "pulling" or "tugging" the ball.

mattmc82
02-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Thanks for clarification.

If I am going one ball I want a nice strong pearl. Can usually ride the rail for the tens if you flatten it out

yodes
02-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Definitely leaning toward a pearl since I miss more to the right than to the left. My dilemma is how strong. For instance a Hy road pearl or Match up pearl.

Blomer
02-11-2018, 02:16 PM
Also, limiting your Arsenal you bring to the alley will also ease the thinking process a bit. I know for me, I bring 4 balls, at times this is a problem as when I’m struggling, I may switch balls several times. By bringing one ball, or two, you limit your choices and know what your ball may do better than if you bring several.

djp1080
02-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Definitely leaning toward a pearl since I miss more to the right than to the left. My dilemma is how strong. For instance a Hy road pearl or Match up pearl.

Take a look at the Roto Grip Hustle INK. It's likely one of the best balls for the money right now. It's a shiny solid cover ball and has some good reviews. I've had really good results with it primarily as a ball on drier lanes or once transition conditions occur in league play. You might even want to change the surface and take the shine off of it to possibly suit you better. Good luck...

J Anderson
02-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Hello everyone. I'm looking for recommendations on what ball to purchase if only throwing 1 ball (including for spares) for THS. I know ideally I need at least 3 (2 hook and a spare) but that won't happen for awhile. My dilemma is I would lean more toward a solid for med-heavy but since I'll be using for spares as well I'm thinking maybe I should go with a pearl for light- med? I haven't bowled in many years but when I did I had a 175 avg. I'm a stroker with med speed and revs. Prefer up and in but can easily slow my speed and add revs to throw inside as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am going to second Rob’s suggestion as I had the same thought as I read your post. As some one who grew up rooting for bowlers like Dick Weber and Gary Dickenson, I am not so much a stroker, but an anti-cranker. One of the leagues that I bowl in is not a USBC certified one, and this season I have bowled every game except for one using the Storm Mix that usually only use on spares. My average is at 198, with a high game of 256 and a high series of 690. Admittedly this is a urethane ball but with a pan cake core. It does tend to hook a board or two even with a flat, mostly end over end release. Given more axis rotation it gets a pretty good entry angle playing up seventh or eighth board.

boatman37
02-11-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks for clarification.

If I am going one ball I want a nice strong pearl. Can usually ride the rail for the tens if you flatten it out

I'm trying...lol. I have been able to get a few 7's with my Black Widow Gold but miss to the inside more often than I make it. That said, it tells me if I hit it right I CAN get it but seems like a very small window. I have been using my right handed Hammer Spike for the 7's but still missing those too often too...lol

larry mc
02-11-2018, 07:50 PM
Brunswick Btu pearl , gives u the best of both worlds

Amyers
02-12-2018, 09:49 AM
Truth is I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time worrying about shooting the corners with the strike ball. Buy a good medium ball and bowl with it some guys flatten their wrist and have enough speed to make it work some don't if you don't you'll figure it out quickly a spare ball is only about 60-80 dollars if its an issue buy one later.

yodes
02-12-2018, 10:42 AM
This sounds good to me. Now to figure out which ball. Too many choices nowadays. Ha.

mattmc82
02-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Truth is I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time worrying about shooting the corners with the strike ball. Buy a good medium ball and bowl with it some guys flatten their wrist and have enough speed to make it work some don't if you don't you'll figure it out quickly a spare ball is only about 60-80 dollars if its an issue buy one later.

See if I am using something other than a spare ball for the 10 I am not using speed, I’m using the lack of oil on the end boards. Flatten it and throw it nice and slow as if you’re going gutter about 5 feet before the pin. As long as you don’t over power it the ball will catch the lane and ride down. It’s actually a detriment to get into this habit once you start throwing on sport shorts though.

Amyers
02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
See if I am using something other than a spare ball for the 10 I am not using speed, I’m using the lack of oil on the end boards. Flatten it and throw it nice and slow as if you’re going gutter about 5 feet before the pin. As long as you don’t over power it the ball will catch the lane and ride down. It’s actually a detriment to get into this habit once you start throwing on sport shorts though.

Yeah can kill you there and even on some different house shots is you bowl different places. Best thing to do is get a spare ball but time and money kills most ills lol

yodes
02-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Well urethane is out. Threw one the other night and even moving all the way to the left it still went Brooklyn. Guessing my ball speed is just too slow for that.

TCJ
02-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Wood lanes or synthetic? I find that urethane grabs more on wood. Also, not every urethane is the same. I have a 900 Global Boo Yah and it will take off on me if I throw too slowly, but my Motiv Tank won't.

yodes
02-14-2018, 05:57 AM
Good points. Wood lane with an old hammer.

TCJ
02-15-2018, 01:13 AM
Good points. Wood lane with an old hammer.

Last time I bowled on wood lanes I ended up using a T-Zone.