PDA

View Full Version : Do you use urethane or plastic ball for spare pickup?

Hammer
02-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Since I have been bowling I have used urethane for spare pickup since urethane came out. I don't use plastic because I can't throw a straight ball. My urethane has just a little hook when I throw it to pick up spares and I am just used to that. If I need it to hook more then I just release it differently. Sometimes though I have used my reactive ball to pick up certain spares like the 6/10 leave. I am left handed by the way. So what do you prefer for spare pickup?

ckelly02
02-12-2018, 03:47 PM
I was using a plastic ball for spares. But just recently I decided to free up the extra place in bag for another reactive. I am able to flatten my wrist and just throw straight with reactive for spares. To me it just made sense to have an extra reactive that I can use for different conditions.

michiganbowlingcoach
02-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Plastic for 4,6,7,10 and any splits with any of the pins mention. Need to because of the bowlers I bowl with .

bowl1820
02-12-2018, 03:53 PM
Since I have been bowling I have used urethane for spare pickup since urethane came out. I don't use plastic because I can't throw a straight ball. My urethane has just a little hook when I throw it to pick up spares and I am just used to that. If I need it to hook more then I just release it differently. Sometimes though I have used my reactive ball to pick up certain spares like the 6/10 leave. I am left handed by the way. So what do you prefer for spare pickup?

You might reread your other thread from last year about this time to see how this compares:

Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?
www.bowlingboards.com/threads/20472-Does-anyone-here-use-a-urethane-for-spares-instead-of-plastic?

or You might check phonetek's thread about the same topic:

Spare balls
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/21495-Spare-balls?

Lancerdad34
02-12-2018, 11:49 PM
I am a lefty as well. I actually use urethane for my strike ball and 6 10 because I am on dry wood lanes. I use plastic for the 4 7.

JerseyJim
02-13-2018, 12:34 AM
I always use polyester. If you can find a couple of Rolf Gauger's Triax spare system, that would be a decent starting point,

J Anderson
02-13-2018, 09:11 AM
I always use polyester. If you can find a couple of Rolf Gauger's Triax spare system, that would be a decent starting point,

Bowl1820 posted this link which still works a few years ago:
http://home.earthlink.net/~litefrozen/downloads/Triax_spare.pdf

Timmyb
02-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Use a highly polished Motiv Rebel Tank (urethane). Works well for me, plus it's a great one to have on dry lanes.

Eddy
02-13-2018, 11:26 AM
I use a Blue Hammer Urethane for most spares. And a plastic ball for the 10 pin.

vdubtx
02-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Polyester ball for all right side spares on house conditions. Poly ball for all spares on Sport conditions.

Hammer
02-13-2018, 03:09 PM
You might reread your other thread from last year about this time to see how this compares:

Does anyone here use a urethane for spares instead of plastic?
www.bowlingboards.com/threads/20472-Does-anyone-here-use-a-urethane-for-spares-instead-of-plastic?

or You might check phonetek's thread about the same topic:

Spare balls
http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/21495-Spare-balls?

This only goes to show you you can't trust an old brain. I knew something about my post was familiar.

mishatx
02-13-2018, 03:15 PM
I've got an old rubber ball I might toss in a bag....

Hammer
02-13-2018, 03:37 PM
I use a Blue Hammer Urethane for most spares. And a plastic ball for the 10 pin.

I use the Blue Hammer urethane also for spares. Sometimes I can use it as a strike ball depending on lane conditions.

Phonetek
02-13-2018, 10:57 PM
This only goes to show you you can't trust an old brain. I knew something about my post was familiar.

If it's any consolation I already forgot about that post and it was not all that long ago. For what it's worth, I'll probably use a super polished original black hammer for my spare ball once I make the switch to 15lbs since I already have it.

TCJ
02-14-2018, 01:12 AM
For spares on the left side I just use my reactive strike ball. For right hand spares (anything right of the head pin) I use plastic. Recently I have begun practicing my left-hand and center spares with the plastic, too just for better consistency on odd conditions.

Blomer
02-19-2018, 09:36 AM
Plastic for 10 pin only. Everything else reactive.

SRB57
02-19-2018, 08:09 PM
Plastic for 10,6 or 3,6,10. Reactive for everything else. Steve

Jeeper_12
03-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Currently using urethane, Red Hammer Faball. It's an old ball that needs to be retired. So in the market for something new. Debating if I should go to plastic and get a White Dot or T Zone. Or go with something I'd curve just a little like Widow Spare, Maxim or even Storm Mix or Ice Storm.

J Anderson
03-02-2018, 04:08 PM
Currently using urethane, Red Hammer Faball. It's an old ball that needs to be retired. So in the market for something new. Debating if I should go to plastic and get a White Dot or T Zone. Or go with something I'd curve just a little like Widow Spare, Maxim or even Storm Mix or Ice Storm.

A Maxim or a Storm Ice Storm are going to perform like a White dot or T-Zone. There's not really any thing different about them other than the logo and the colors. The Black Widow Spare is not in my opinion a true spare ball. It has a dynamic core and I suspect it very difficult to throw one straight. The Storm Mix, having a pancake core, can be thrown quite straight, but, because of the urethane cover stock, will react to any axis rotation that you give it.

My own recommendation, definitely in the "do as I say" category since I use a Mix, is get plastic and use it for any cpins left of the 2 pin and right of the 3.

Jeeper_12
03-04-2018, 12:40 PM
I picked up a new ball yesterday. Went in thinking I'd walk out with with either a WD or Maxim or even make an order for the Ice Storm but still had the thought of a possible urethane ball. Well my PSO had a Storm Pitch Black in the back that had about 5 throws on it, the holes were filled except the thumb. Offered a great deal on it, and I pulled the trigger on it. Once it got drilled, did some practice shots with it, and liked it.

It'll be my new spare ball, I was able to keep it straight with very minimum curve. Figured it'll hold up better than plastic and can be used on lanes that are rather dry. It'll be more versatile than a plastic ball.

boatman37
03-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Yep, before I left bowling 15 years ago I was using a Brunswick Cobalt Rhino urethane ball and used it 99% of the time. Most days I didn't even take my Black Beauty out of the bag. I wasn't the greatest striker but I rarely ever missed a spare with it. I had a 193 average and probably only averaged about 4 or 5 strikes a game. My spare capabilities is what got me that average and that was with a urethane ball.

Jeeper_12
03-04-2018, 03:57 PM
I just picked up a Pitch Black. Only threw a few practice throws with it but I like it so far! Will use it as a spare ball and dry lanes strike ball.