PDA

View Full Version : playing inside lines

boatman37
02-17-2018, 10:52 PM
So last time out practicing I tried getting into some oil and tried throwing over the 3rd arrow. IIRC I was standing with my left foot on the middle dot (left handed here). The ball didn't come back much and missed the head pin completely. Closest I can see is my rev rate is about 325 or so and my speed at that time was about 18.5 MPH or so. Last time out I slowed my ball down a little but didn't try the inside line. My reason for trying inside is that there is hardly any oil from the second arrow out. I have been struggling and thought I would just try something different. I'm using a Hammer Black Widow Gold and get quite a bit of backend. Is my rev rate the reason I can't throw in the oil or is there another reason? Just curious. Here is a video of me throwing my normal line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgCCxqR6Lm8

mc_runner
02-18-2018, 09:07 AM
From your description it sounds like you were throwing pretty straight up the third arrow (15). You may want to try moving right and getting the ball at a little bit more of an angle, to bounce it off the dry outside. Personally, I'd probably start with a 3 board move in, still targeting that third arrow to see how the ball reacts there. Your goal is to use the oil and dry area to your advantage.

boatman37
02-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Yeah it went out but not sure it made it out to the first arrow. only tried it 2 or 3 times then gave up. going to go get some practice in again in a couple weeks so will try it again

Amyers
02-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Sounds like MC here is correct. Try starting of with your normal line and move about 6 boards right with your feet and three right with your target and see how that works.

mattmc82
02-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Sounds like MC here is correct. Try starting of with your normal line and move about 6 boards right with your feet and three right with your target and see how that works.

that is actually exactly what I was doing at boatman's lanes towards the end. Would have liked to use a ball drilled pin up for that approach though as i was falling off the deck on the 9 pin side (i am a righty) when I was hitting the pocket.

boatman37
02-19-2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks. Will try that. My new ball is drilled pin up with quite a bit of back end so I would 'think' it would come back but I have never thrown that way. I have never thrown any further in than the 2nd arrow so might be a learning 'curve' (pun intended...lol)

mattmc82
02-19-2018, 01:50 PM
Thanks. Will try that. My new ball is drilled pin up with quite a bit of back end so I would 'think' it would come back but I have never thrown that way. I have never thrown any further in than the 2nd arrow so might be a learning 'curve' (pun intended...lol)

Hardest part is trusting your mark. It feels like you need to bring it more towards the center but you don’t

Hammer
02-20-2018, 05:57 PM
From the video it looks like your ball is going over the second arrow and not the third. Maybe I'm wrong. I am left handed also and sometimes play that line a lot with my reactive ball.

fordman1
02-20-2018, 06:13 PM
Only shot I saw over the 3rd arrow was you shot at the 4-7 spare. How do you know your ball speed? It looked slower than 18.5.

chip82901
02-20-2018, 06:37 PM
So, I would say you have the rev rate to play in there, however, the ball speed is going to almost seem irrelevant as the further inside you move into the oil, the ball speed will go up as there isn't any friction to slow it down. The Black Widow Gold is a great ball and has a ton of potential to play inside a bit. I would say it's the angle you are trying to play. In the video, it looks like you are rolling over about the 7 board fairly straight. I would say, if you need to create a bit more entry angle down lane, get a little softer out of your hand, make a 3-1 move left with your feet and keep the same break point around the 7 board. Too far inside, the ball never picks up enough friction to make the move.

boatman37
02-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Yeah, in that video I was playing my normal line around the 7 board. I just posted that to see what type of ball I roll. I don't have any video of me trying to throw inside. I did try it again tonight once but it barely caught the 2 and it took out the 4 and 7 with it so it never came back in. Wasn't trying hard to get it to work just tried it once in practice before leagues started.

On a good note, I did start getting solid pocket hits tonight with my normal line. Threw 5 strikes in a row the first game (213). Still need to get some practice time in though.

Ball speed was 'calculated' by timing it. From the time it hit the lane till it hit the head pin was anywhere from 2.2 to 2.3 seconds so the chart I found says about 18.5. We have speed sensors down lane and they read about 16.5 but who knows how accurate they are.

imagonman
02-21-2018, 11:23 AM
If those specs are accurate you end up slightly speed dominant. Your video is taken from the wrong side. Needs to be inline w/ your left armswing.
How did you calculate speed & rev rate? I see you answered the speed here. Leaves rev rate ???? Most people are too generous w their rev rates!

boatman37
02-21-2018, 12:51 PM
For rev rate I put a piece of tape on my ball just above the finger holes and counted the revs down lane. It was hard to see so that is a 'guesstimate'. I counted about 11 rotations and the chart I looked at said about 325 RPM IIRC. I need to get a better look at it but that was the best I could get that day.

Here is another shot from the left side but it isn't very good either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iG8ZPK8g8k

Here is another that is a little longer and maybe slightly better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Uj0mYZsyGg