PDA

View Full Version : How great is your concern on pin placement in a new ball?

Hammer
03-01-2018, 06:30 PM
When I bought my new Raw Hammer Anger ball around 2007 the pro shop guy gave me a generic location because he didn't see me bowl. I am left handed so my pin was put above my ring finger slightly and off to the side a little. Amazingly it works great for me all of these years. I take care of it always with de-oiling and surface changes. I have been tempted to buy a new ball but this one just keeps working great.

So how concerned are you with a pin location when you get a new ball? Do you just get a generic location or do you request a certain location? Do you have the pro watch you bowl before a decision is made on a location?

Blomer
03-01-2018, 10:05 PM
The pin placement will help direct the ball to what you want the ball to do. I generally have my pin placed above ring finger to go longer or I’ll have it kicked out to the right for max hook.

J Anderson
03-02-2018, 10:09 AM
I let the PSO worry about it.

bowl1820
03-02-2018, 12:35 PM
I try to get a basic idea of how I want a ball laid out if that's what you mean and discuss it with the PSO.

JerseyJim
03-03-2018, 11:40 AM
I've had my last few balls laid out using the Storm Vector Layout system. It's a spreadsheet that asks the bowler questions about their stats, ball speed, rev rate, axis tilt, and axis rotation. You will then answer questions about the basic oil patterns that you are bowling on, and how you want the ball to react. It will recommend a layout for you. Here's the link if you want to take a look at it. http://www.stormbowling.com/medias/Storm_VLS_-_Vector_Layout_System_legacy.xls

chip82901
03-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Myself, I have some guys at Storm that help me out with layout decisions. I mainly stick with a fairly similar layout that I love (5 x 4 x 3) or close to it, and choose surface and core accordingly. However, I just ordered a Drive and going pin under on it to help things out with the wet/dry I've been seeing lately

Jeeper_12
03-04-2018, 03:03 PM
After throwing a few in front of my PSO, he gave me direction as to where I should stand and aim at. I adjust of course if the lane breaks down but my adjustments are not too major.

Outerlimits
03-04-2018, 07:36 PM
Myself, I have some guys at Storm that help me out with layout decisions. I mainly stick with a fairly similar layout that I love (5 x 4 x 3) or close to it, and choose surface and core accordingly. However, I just ordered a Drive and going pin under on it to help things out with the wet/dry I've been seeing lately
Let me know how it works....I just picked up a Drive, for the same reason. The PSO and I experimented with pin placement, but is basically pin up. Threw it on some dry spotty open bowling lanes, rolls early, shape reminds me of the Storm Phaze I had a while ago. Carries better than the Phaze. We will see what it does on a fresh shot in my next league. Wanted a different look than the Intense, its that alright, might have to experiment with the cover. Doesn't seem to generate a great deal of angle. I can easily see some corner pins in my future with it. We will see how it acts on the oil, it may be running out of energy because the lanes were so spotty and dry.

chip82901
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Let me know how it works....I just picked up a Drive, for the same reason. The PSO and I experimented with pin placement, but is basically pin up. Threw it on some dry spotty open bowling lanes, rolls early, shape reminds me of the Storm Phaze I had a while ago. Carries better than the Phaze. We will see what it does on a fresh shot in my next league. Wanted a different look than the Intense, its that alright, might have to experiment with the cover. Doesn't seem to generate a great deal of angle. I can easily see some corner pins in my future with it. We will see how it acts on the oil, it may be running out of energy because the lanes were so spotty and dry.

Will do. I'm sure I will post up a review after I get some games on it. Chad McLean is who I go to for any layout ideas. He just got promoted to Storm Technical Manager (fun fact, he also holds like 8 world records involving bowling). He hasn't let me down yet. I'm hoping I get something that's similar to my Phaze II, only smoother. My Phaze II is drilled 5 x 4 x 3 and goes extremely long and is very angular. However, it's starting to bird's eye and has essentially been replaced by my Show Off (which I don't throw very often unless it's needed). I didn't mind my original phaze, but same thing, very angular off of the break point and could only be used on certain occasions where it was called for.

J Anderson
03-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Will do. I'm sure I will post up a review after I get some games on it. Chad McLean is who I go to for any layout ideas. He just got promoted to Storm Technical Manager (fun fact, he also holds like 8 world records involving bowling). He hasn't let me down yet. I'm hoping I get something that's similar to my Phaze II, only smoother. My Phaze II is drilled 5 x 4 x 3 and goes extremely long and is very angular. However, it's starting to bird's eye and has essentially been replaced by my Show Off (which I don't throw very often unless it's needed). I didn't mind my original phaze, but same thing, very angular off of the break point and could only be used on certain occasions where it was called for.

Dumb question; what do you mean when you say it’s “starting to bird’s eye”? I’ve only heard the term used as an adjective, like a bird’s eye view, not as a verb.

chip82901
03-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Dumb question; what do you mean when you say it’s “starting to bird’s eye”? I’ve only heard the term used as an adjective, like a bird’s eye view, not as a verb.

Starting to crack around the fingers in a circular motion. I've always heard it called that, so that's what I've always called it lol. Just some surface cracking around the fingers.

bowl1820
03-05-2018, 07:25 PM
Starting to crack around the fingers in a circular motion. I've always heard it called that, so that's what I've always called it lol. Just some surface cracking around the fingers.

Well first time I heard that one (as far as I remember), Most times it's referred to as spider cracking / cracks. Just a matter of where you at what things are called.

boatman37
03-05-2018, 08:32 PM
My new Black Widow Gold has chipping or peeling started around the finger holes after about 5 weeks. I showed the PSO a couple weeks ago and he said that is normal and usually happens more often on the lanes we were on that night.

bowl1820
03-05-2018, 08:46 PM
My new Black Widow Gold has chipping or peeling started around the finger holes after about 5 weeks. I showed the PSO a couple weeks ago and he said that is normal and usually happens more often on the lanes we were on that night.

Say what?? normal??

When he drilled the finger holes did bevel them? what is about those lanes that chips finger holes?

boatman37
03-05-2018, 09:11 PM
No idea. and if it is more prevalent on those lanes then it probably isn't normal? He said he had a few in his bag that looked the same and that it was fine and wouldn't get worse. After 2 weeks it hasn't gotten worse. Chipped is probably an exaggeration. It's more of a thin flake that broke off. You can barely feel it with your fingerenail. Still doesn't seem normal though.

Oh, didn't notice any beveling. Seemed to be pretty sharp edges.

bowl1820
03-05-2018, 09:45 PM
Oh, didn't notice any beveling. Seemed to be pretty sharp edges.
I'm assuming your using grips, One of the main recommendations to help prevent cracking at the holes is to bevel them. Also place the glue farther down in the hole and don't use too much.

boatman37
03-05-2018, 11:01 PM
Yes grips. I think they are Turbo but not sure. They are clear. He installed them so not sure about glue but I did watch him glue them