PDA

View Full Version : Does your bowling center make you PRE-pay for open bowling?

Phonetek
03-03-2018, 01:06 PM
On thing I do like about where I work is we don't make the customer pay until they are completely done and ready to leave. I've always hated pre-paying because I never really know how many I will feel like bowling. I'm also more likely to not bowl as many games as I would of if I payed at the end. I think it's a pain to keep having to go to the counter if I want to bowl more and keep paying every time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who left and would have bowled more if I just payed at the end.

It also makes me feel like they don't trust me, like I'm gonna bowl and sneak out the door without paying. It's like prepay gas stations. When I go to fill the tank using cash and I'm on E, I have no clue how much it's gonna take to fill it. So most times I'll just throw $40 at them because I know that will fit and I won't have to go back in for change. Had I payed at the end they may have made 50-60 bucks instead of 40.

I'm sure it's probably happened where people bowled and dashed but either way I think they come out ahead for the extra games others bowl that they decided at the last minute to do. A gas station I can understand because they are actually physically steeling merchandise by driving away. Unless they ran up a bar tab and food what did the bowling alley really lose? A few kilowatt hours running the lane? If you want to nitpick I guess you can also say games from a different potential paying customer. I can't think bowling and dashing is a huge problem causing catastrophic loss.

I have to say customers really enjoy the fact they can bowl as much as they want, add on food and drinks and pay for everything at once. If given the choice of pre-paying or doing it at the end, what do you prefer? What does your bowling center do?

boatman37
03-03-2018, 01:45 PM
nope

JerseyJim
03-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Most bowling centers in my area will ask you to pre-pay for the number of games, or time bowled. My preference is to just pay by the hour.

Phonetek
03-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Yeah we do the by the hour too. Only thing I dislike about that is once the time ticks down it shuts off if your in the middle of a game or not. We have all kinds of specials and packages too. During the week M-F it's $1 a game bowling before 1pm. Senior and league discounts. Since our center is part of a movie theater chain, if people keep their stubs from a movie, each stub is worth 1 free game. Plus we have stamp coupons, 6 or 7 stamps is a free game.

Then there are the birthday party packages that include pizza, drinks, shoe rental, lanes by the hour and the party room rental all for a set price. Price varies by party size, obviously the more people the higher the price. What's cool is that people do all of that online including if you wanted to do a lane reservation just for yourself or whatever you can do that online too. No waiting for a lane if it's busy. The computer won't allow us to give out the lane if you have it reserved, I think it just requires a small deposit.

boatman37
03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
When I went a few weeks ago it was normally $3 per game but I was charged $2.50. I was told probably because I was a league member. We also have an all you can bowl for about $14 on certain days/times.

yetigreg
03-03-2018, 05:49 PM
At ours you pre pay also. I think in todays day and age you probable should have people pre pay. I just read your other thread about the teens trashing the place where they were bowling... sad... no respect for other peoples property and no respect for people in general. Its a "me" generation out there that makes it bad for all others I'm afraid. The honor system is something that takes good conscious to work, so if you are not taught that growing up it's not part of your character. When the public is involved I guess any business should think of certain things that will protect there business and even if it's just a little extra electricity, use of the lane, wear on the pins, the ball return, maintenance, it all adds up and then add how many take advantage of bowling and not paying in a years time it might be an interesting number. Sorry I did not want to sound pessimistic, I would hope that most people would be honest. Ok I'm done rambling. By the way Phonetek I just wanted to say congratulation on your new job.

Phonetek
03-03-2018, 06:40 PM
At ours you pre pay also. I think in todays day and age you probable should have people pre pay. I just read your other thread about the teens trashing the place where they were bowling... sad... no respect for other peoples property and no respect for people in general. Its a "me" generation out there that makes it bad for all others I'm afraid. The honor system is something that takes good conscious to work, so if you are not taught that growing up it's not part of your character. When the public is involved I guess any business should think of certain things that will protect there business and even if it's just a little extra electricity, use of the lane, wear on the pins, the ball return, maintenance, it all adds up and then add how many take advantage of bowling and not paying in a years time it might be an interesting number. Sorry I did not want to sound pessimistic, I would hope that most people would be honest. Ok I'm done rambling. By the way Phonetek I just wanted to say congratulation on your new job.

Thank you, I'm really happy there. I don't make a lot but I really enjoy it so that makes all the difference.

Yeah those teens were a bunch of douches but from what I seen the minority at where I'm at so far. Most people are pretty respectful. Aside from the occasional guy who has too much booze and gets uppity. The place I work is small so it would be pretty difficult to bowl and dash. Like I said in the other post there are cameras everywhere and even those guys had a reservation online to bowl so we already had their info so if they left we would have still charged them for bowling, shoes, food ect. We don't get a lot of walk ins usually, during the day it's mostly seniors or parents with the really little kids that aren't in school yet. Neither are much threat of leaving without paying. Most tend to make online reservations or call.

J Anderson
03-03-2018, 08:44 PM
They don’t make me pre-pay, but I’m not sure what they do for other bowlers. They put all new scoring consoles and screen last fall and then raised prices. I had been getting the employee discount because I volunteer with the youth league. I now pay an extra $1.75 per game, 50 cents more than they used to charge league members to open bowl. They no longer have a sign showing the rate per game at peak and off peak times. They just show how much it costs for one hour or a half hour at various times.

mishatx
03-03-2018, 09:56 PM
My usual place does not do pre pay, but many years ago, went through a period where they did (or, at least, did for roving packs of teenagers). I never liked that, because growing up you just bowled until you got tired and settled the bill - with prepay I didn't want to pay for games I wouldn't bowl, so I'd underestimate and walk out having been perfectly willing to bowl a couple more.

JasonNJ
03-04-2018, 01:17 AM
All the places around me in NJ are pre-pay. With that said, at my local center, they have given me a lane before and let me settle afterwards but I know everyone there so they know I won't skip out.

Timmyb
03-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Most places in Milwaukee are pre-pay. A couple of places where I know the guys will let me go out without, but that's about the extent of it.

TCJ
03-04-2018, 06:17 PM
I pay after bowling, but I think that may be because I am a trusted person. I don't think that it is the standard policy because I distinctly remember seeing other people pay before bowling. That said, I bring a group of school kids to the bowling center for eight weeks in a row in the winter time. The bowling center does not require any payment until the final week.

bdpeters
03-05-2018, 09:20 AM
I believe most of the centers in my area are pre pay, either by game or by hour. but I do remember bowling and then settling the bill when you were done. I suppose it has a lot to do with most places now catering to casual bowling, parties etc. kind of like how it used to be with pumping gas when you pay after you are done but now it is all pre pay to avoid gas and go drive aways.

the family wanted to go to the local lanes on friday afternoon for dinner, they have killer onion rings. I brought my balls thinking we may bowl a game but the place was packed withe parties and teens goofing around. It surprised me a bit because it was only like 5:00. needless to say I did not even bother getting my bag from the car. the rings and patty melt were tasty though.

SAbowler
03-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Most places here are prepay. The center I normally practice at used to not make you prepay, but in the last couple years they changed policy and make you pay before bowling. Although, depending on who is working the counter, I can get around that and pay after. :)

Phonetek
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
I worked last night and I guess Sundays are $6 per person unlimited bowling + shoes after 7pm to close. That's a pretty darn good deal. I actually got to see some decent bowlers who came in for that. One was a lady in her mid 20's who was REALLY darn good. She had a beautiful approach and threw a very nice ball, bowling alone. She was on game 22 when I left at 10:30. Easy 200 average. Even with a set price like that they still pay at the end.

bdpeters
03-05-2018, 02:24 PM
that is a pretty good price. around here there are usually some pretty good specials on off hours. usually 9:00PM to close

Phonetek
03-05-2018, 02:47 PM
That deal doesn't of course work for everyone, if they are only gonna bowl a couple of games it's a no brainer if you do the math. You'd have to bowl at least 3 games to make it worth it. But for actual bowling enthusiasts it's not bad which is why I actually seen some in there for a change vs. your night out power drinkers. Plus they get some nice fresh oil because I did it at 6 last night. Since I left an hour and a half before close I'd bet anything that woman probably bowled 30 games. She didn't look like she was leaving anytime soon when I left. I'd have dropped dead by game 15. LOL

Blomer
03-07-2018, 06:53 PM
I prepay. I know how man6 I will do, generally 5 and I’m done.

Albundy
03-09-2018, 09:03 AM
When I'm not on a league and not lying for the rate I go for the late night all you can bowl specials. I went to a new alley once larkfield lanes.. old..but new to me..and when we were done the punk tried to charge my friend and i 50 bucks. I said isn't it 9 bucks all you can bowl. He said if you want the special you have to tell me first.. we had an argument and finally watched him adjust the price all the way down. Then i called the manager the next day. Sometimes a place will ask for 10 bucks and I say league rate I'm only bowling 2 games. I'm not running out without paying relax.

jamoke
03-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Thank goodness there is no pre-pay at my local lanes. When I open bowl, I really do not know how many games I will bowl.
Depends on lane conditions, how I feel, and the enviroment (other bowlers near me).

I would think pre-paying would discourage playing longer.

boatman37
03-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Thank goodness there is no pre-pay at my local lanes. When I open bowl, I really do not know how many games I will bowl.
Depends on lane conditions, how I feel, and the enviroment (other bowlers near me).

I would think pre-paying would discourage playing longer.

Agreed. Went a few weeks ago and planned on bowling 1 game. Ended up bowling 3. If I had pre-paid I probably wouldn't have stayed. I went to the shooting range today to shoot me new gun. It is an indoor range and you pay by the hour. You pay when you are done. Last time we went we ended up staying about 90 minutes so they made extra money from us. If we had pre-paid we would have left.

Phonetek
03-11-2018, 11:20 PM
Maybe if there are good bowlers bowling next to a bunch of knuckleheads and everyone pre-pays then it's easier to find out how long the knuckleheads are gonna be there? That way you know when you can get down to business. Well...provided you don't get a new bunch of them after the first ones leave.

SRB57
03-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Depending where I go it changes. I practice on Sunday mornings and one house I go to pre pays and one does not. It does not matter to me. It tends to be less busy then so not to many distractions. Steve

Jeeper_12
03-21-2018, 08:26 AM
I do not prepay where I go. They set me up with a lane and bowl however many games I like. I never really know how many games I'll play so I think it's better this way.