PDA

View Full Version : Already think about the Fall.

Seamistlark
02-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Anybody else thinking about not bowling in the Fall, or at least not bowling with the same team members?
The wife and I have bowled with this couple for three seasons now and I think we need to change things up. The other husband is just way over the top about winning. We joined this League to have fun and to do something together, but he has taken the fun out of it. :(
We usually finish the season in the top five on this League and will be there again this season, but I am not having a good time doing this. We really like going out and doing things with this other couple, and the other guy's wife will really be hurt if we tell her we are not bowling with them next year and why.:confused:
My wife and I talked about this for hours yesterday and are not wanting to hurt her feelings but we have to do something.
By the way, I had stayed away from league bowling for years because I couldn't take the "DRAMA" that competition brings out in some people.
Any suggestions would be greatly considered.

kev3inp
02-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Well, we wound up with our other 2 bowlers since we really didn't have anyone else to bowl with at the time. We were kind of assigned the others since it's 4 person league and there were only 2 of us. That being said, even though I've been unable to bowl 14 weeks out of this season, I've had enough with the other 2 and can't wait for the year to end. I'd like to bowl over the summer and again in the fall, but if I have to sit out to avoid them, well, you have to do what you have to do.

I swear the one is developmentally disabled and the other is basically unteachable. I'm so tired of trying to cajole the DD one into staying focused on the game and not giving up after one bad frame. Nothing irks me more than to have someone write off a whole game because of a bad 3rd frame. "Well, this game is shot, I don't care how I bowl now." That drives me nuts. Or she'll bowl pretty well in the game and open in the 10th and go ballistic. I used to work with DD people so I kind of know how to deal with them, but I was getting paid for it before. I don't want to do it on my off time.
I've never met her husband, but the guy must be a saint.

The other one is a right hander that throws a back up ball, often off the wrong foot. If it was consistent it wouldn't be too bad, but there's no telling from one frame to the next what's going to happen. If she converts a single pin spare it's cause for great celebration. Especially if it's a 5 pin! Sometimes she gets a little ticked that I can't tell her where to move or what to do to pick up a spare, like I can with my wife. It's just that I have no idea what she's going to do on her next ball and neither does she. She's a lot more normal than the other one, and a lot easier to deal with, but her heavy NY accent drives me nuts, and she can't tell when I'm making fun of it. My wife gives me that look when I do it, but this woman is totally oblivious.

If I had to I'd bowl with her again, but I've had enough of the other one. When you say "I can't " do something, you're right. Enough is enough.

I'm out there to have some fun, not have to babysit an adult, and not to give free instruction to someone who can't use it. Winning is nice, but I don't get serious about it; it's not my raison d'etre. I'm out to relax, have a few beers, and have a good time in the game that I love. If it's not fun, why do it?

Jord_84
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I think I'm going to switch to another house at the end of the season. I got on a morning league with my sister in law, which is the only time I can really bowl, night leagues don't work because I've got to get my kids in bed. My sister in law and her mother...are switching to a night league next fall, leaving me 2 people short of a 3 person team.

The people at the house I'm currently at hate me anyway....rivalry I guess, since my family owns the other alley in town.
I'm gonna hop on the tuesday morning league at my family's center....I know I won't have to tolerate any crappy behavior over there.

ThongPrincess
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I have been planning to leave my home center for the past 2-3 years. I want to find out if it is me or me and this center just don't match up. I have bowled there nearly 31 years and until recently the decision was a difficult one.

I plan to bowl the Sport League where I coach during the summer, if they have enough to field the league. Otherwise this may be the first summer I don't bowl a league.

As for Fall, I am looking into either Santa Clarita or Valencia Lanes. Santa Clarita has a No-Tap League and that might be fun to bowl for a season. I will be staying with my Sunday team at my home center. I've got friends who will be getting me Fall Sign-Up sheets for Valencia and Santa Clarita.

ArtVandelay
02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
I guess I'm the lucky one here. I've only had one team member that wasn't fun. She wasn't bad either, though, she just wasn't fun. In the beginning she seemed to really enjoy bowling, and then it became almost a chore. But it is a long season.

The team I currently have is just great. It's my old man and I, and a husband and wife combo we meet years ago when we first joined the league. It really couldn't be a more laid back or fun atmosphere. But we're not good enough to claim our bowling winnings on our taxes, so we call it for what it is: a fun time to get together, have some drinks, and bowl a little. Plus, we bowl on a wednesday night, so it breaks up the week perfectly.

I'm in a bit of a competition with one of my team members. I'm currently a 178 average, and he's a 177. A couple months ago, he had a lead on me. I caught him. I think we bowl each other harder than we bowl the other team. hahahaha. But it's a lot of fun, a lot of good natured jokes.

Good times!

Seamistlark
02-17-2009, 07:54 AM
I got real luck with my Wednesday night team. I was looking to bowl on the Men's League and asked the Sec. from our Summer League about it and he said he had a team looking for bowlers. When I got there on the first night I had people I knew tell me I was in for a wild ride. The team I was put on was just 2 guys that look for bowlers every year, to fill a five man team. These 2 guys are loud, beer drinking and rowdy, and they run off bowlers every year. The husband from my other team joined this League with me but quit after 12 weeks due to the "lack of winning spirit". I stayed because I committed to 36 weeks and I told the Sec. I would bowl. Every week after he quit I would tell the Sec."I am here for you". It all ended well and I am back bowling with the same guys again this year and more than likely I will bowl with them next year as well. They just needed someone that could put up with the antics.

11 in a row
02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
I think I'm going to switch to another house at the end of the season. I got on a morning league with my sister in law, which is the only time I can really bowl, night leagues don't work because I've got to get my kids in bed. My sister in law and her mother...are switching to a night league next fall, leaving me 2 people short of a 3 person team.

The people at the house I'm currently at hate me anyway....rivalry I guess, since my family owns the other alley in town.
I'm gonna hop on the tuesday morning league at my family's center....I know I won't have to tolerate any crappy behavior over there.

do what make you happy and continue to enjoy the sport of bowling....there,s a few in my league that are the sameway..it gets annoying real quick doesn,t it..i hate it too.it really takes you away from your own game..

i,m currently talking to others about next years monday night handicap league and i,m fine with that as the members on this years team will be bowling in their own centers next year and thats fine by me as well.. nothing wrong with a good rivalry though

kev3inp
02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
do what make you happy and continue to enjoy the sport of bowling....there,s a few in my league that are the sameway..it gets annoying real quick doesn,t it..i hate it too.it really takes you away from your own game..

i,m currently talking to others about next years monday night handicap league and i,m fine with that as the members on this years team will be bowling in their own centers next year and thats fine by me as well.. nothing wrong with a good rivalry though

We're going to leave our big "problem child" behind and pick up the guy who has been subbing for me while I've had to take time off. But I get to bowl again tomorrow! Why do it if it's not fun?

LOL, the frustrated English teacher in me is coming out. I want to edit for apostrophes. :) I'm just glad to see new posts.

Seamistlark
02-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Kev,
As we get older things start to drop. I agree with you about getting new posts ,so I over look these things. We have a 10 year old at home we are teaching how to post correctly.

11 in a row
02-23-2009, 09:48 AM
We're going to leave our big "problem child" behind and pick up the guy who has been subbing for me while I've had to take time off. But I get to bowl again tomorrow! Why do it if it's not fun?

LOL, the frustrated English teacher in me is coming out. I want to edit for apostrophes. :) I'm just glad to see new posts.

i understand about the corrections ..:D i have a problem child at my local center where he does no wrong and likes to tell everybody else what to do...it drives me crazy....

kev3inp
02-23-2009, 12:52 PM
i understand about the corrections ..:D i have a problem child at my local center where he does no wrong and likes to tell everybody else what to do...it drives me crazy....

Ah, I see that FIGJAM's are everywhere. :rolleyes: Some folks are so clueless.

Our DD bowler didn't show up last night, nor did she call any of us to let us know. Nothing like a little consideration. Exactly nothing like it.

ThongPrincess
03-03-2009, 11:36 PM
I signed up for 2 Summer leagues at the center I expect to bowl at in the fall. This will give me a chance to meet some of the bowlers and test out the lanes. One is a 9-Pin No-Tap league, the other a Match Point Draft Trios Scratch League. I talked with the owner Saturday and he said both are good leagues to get my feet wet and have fun.

NoTapNorm
03-04-2009, 06:35 AM
I suppose I'm fortunate. The fall league I joined is the first 5-man team I've been with since 1995. Over the previous summer, I bowled in a 3-man league when the proprietor asked if I would bowl with them in the fall. Of course I accepted-although I didnt know the other 3 guys. We get along great, and will bowl the state events this spring.

In last summer's trio league, a friend and I decided to bowl, but needed a third. The house provided a third, and he was a very good bowler, averaging 210+. However, his hygiene was less than desirable. We learned to tolerate and stand down-wind.

I've only changed centers once, and that was at the end of the season. The team was always late to the house, late for their turn, generally, always the last out of the house. Yes, we were that team. I didnt want to stay at the house as most of them bowled in other leagues at the same house and I didnt want to explain why I wasnt bowling with them.