PDA

View Full Version : new usbc specs

fordman1
04-24-2018, 03:35 PM
The USBC has come out with new rules on balance holes and only dry towels. Something about absorption rate on balls also. Haven't read it all yet.

Phonetek
04-24-2018, 03:38 PM
You have a link? I guess this would effect the "anytime" cleaners list. Anything wet couldn't be anytime if it's dry towels only.

Amyers
04-24-2018, 03:40 PM
Didn't thinl it was a big deal myself. Basically no extra unused holes period. No cleaners during bowling was what I noticed. Takes effect in 2020

https://youtu.be/1nkmk733Nbs

Phonetek
04-24-2018, 04:00 PM
I found the link. https://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622331019

Wow so thumbless bowlers will no longer be able to have a thumb hole. That's gonna stir up some hornets nests. According to what that says every hole must be used every delivery. So bye bye balance holes. Since I only have 3 holes and use them all I could care less about that rule. As for the dry towel, I'm okay with that too. I see these as good things but I'm sure a lot of people are gonna be less than thrilled. At least the USBC seems to be doing something.

If you are looking to buy a serious oil sucker ball you better get it now so it's grandfathered in.

mc_runner
04-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Read through them, the sky isn't falling and I don't really have a problem with any of the changes. I have some issues with the USBC & how things are run, but think this isn't a bad thing for the sport... Long term something has to be done to get balls and/or lane conditions under a bit of control.

Definitely does affect no thumb/2 handers a little more, but in the sense of closing loopholes that were exploitable (triangle drill for example).

chip82901
04-25-2018, 11:40 AM
So, I started thinking about this more last night about the balance hole idea. The current rule is 1oz side and 3oz finger or thumb. Basically, this new rule is saying you're allowed 3oz of side, meaning where you'd normally take 2oz out of the side of the ball to make it legal, you no longer have to. This rule was intended for the bowlers that were placing the balance holes statigically to alter the ball motion (most drillers do this anyway depending on how you roll the ball ie. more flare/less flare). It will actually give more options on drilling actually as you don't have to worry so much about static weights.

The other big thing that we as bowlers don't have to worry about so much is the absorption rate rule. This is a rule that is primarily for the manufactures. I think what USBC was getting to is that bowling balls are becoming too porous, causing the lanes to break down faster, thus losing integrity of the game when the best bowlers in the world are lofting the ball over the gutter 15 feet down lane in the world's most prestigious tournaments. I think where the new rule is going to go, is that coverstocks will become harder and less porous, meaning that the soak up less oil, and your oil patterns won't break down as fast. This is actually a good thing for bowlers as it should mean less adjustments in the long run.

Lastly, the one thing I wish they would regulate, still won't happen. What I'd like to see is a standard for normal league oil patterns to justify averages. Come up with 5 oil patterns to choose from, and report your averages to that pattern. At that point, at least your guy averaging 230 in one house but can't hit the broad side of a barn in another would be justified.

bowl1820
04-25-2018, 12:09 PM
It's all a big too do about basically nothing, Yes It's a chicken Little situation.

Absorption rates? If they could've changed the absorption rate on balls secretly, Frankly I doubt anyone would have noticed. Now when someone rolls the first ball off the line with the new spec. it will be "OMG, OMG, OMG it didn't hook like the old balls!!!! It's too weak!!!!!"

Weight holes? The one that will hurt the most is Mo Pinel, he always pushed you should have a weight hole in every ball. But don't worry him and radical will come up with something new that no other company has, Radical balls will cut donuts down the lane and then do flying drop kicks on the pins as they give the USBC the stink eye!

The funny thing to read are the posts by guys that say "I have 20+ balls in the basement/Closest I've had for 20+ years and are collecting dust because I don't use them, I just pulled one out last week and it worked great!! I might want to use another one 10 years from now I can't get all those balls plugged."

Or the posts "DRY TOWEL"!!!! "WHAT CONSTITUTES A DRY TOWEL??????? Is a leather shammy a towel? What about microfiber towels are they dry towels?

bowl1820
04-25-2018, 12:25 PM
It will actually give more options on drilling actually as you don't have to worry so much about static weights.

Which is what many for years had wished they'd do, get rid of the static weight rule so'd they have more options in layouts. But of course they didn't exactly do away with the the static weight rules. So they'll still complain.

The other big thing that we as bowlers don't have to worry about so much is the absorption rate rule.

Another thing is if the balls absorb less oil, they'll last longer or you'll at least not have to deoil them as often.

Lastly, the one thing I wish they would regulate, still won't happen. What I'd like to see is a standard for normal league oil patterns to justify averages. Come up with 5 oil patterns to choose from, and report your averages to that pattern. At that point, at least your guy averaging 230 in one house but can't hit the broad side of a barn in another would be justified.

They don't really need new patterns, They just need to make houses rotate through the patterns not use the same one week after week.

You could put out the hardest pattern there is, But if you bowl on it all the time the scores will go back up. The PBA found that out when they first used the animal patterns. The scores plunged, but after they bowled on them for several weeks they went right back up.

chip82901
04-25-2018, 01:22 PM
They don't really need new patterns, They just need to make houses rotate through the patterns not use the same one week after week.

You could put out the hardest pattern there is, But if you bowl on it all the time the scores will go back up. The PBA found that out when they first used the animal patterns. The scores plunged, but after they bowled on them for several weeks they went right back up.

While yes, this is true, it will at least be justifiable. I was a firm believer in the Red,White and Blue patterns. If they came out with something like this and said, "Here, in order to be sanctioned you have to use at least one of these". Instead of, "I average 230+ on my house shot I bowl on every week that is a wall on the 8 board, but when I go bowl tournaments, I complain about the 190-200 average bowler who bowls in a house that lays out a tougher shot getting 15-20 sticks a game"

vdubtx
04-25-2018, 01:46 PM
No problem with the changes here. I only use a dry shammy currently before every shot anyway.

The balance holes won't be an issue either and I won't have to get them plugged as they will all likely be replaced before Aug 1, 2020 comes around anyway.

Phonetek
04-25-2018, 03:22 PM
None of these rules bother me one bit. I always used a dry towel except when I was done or before I started. I never had a ball with any balance holes and always used all 3 finger holes. To me everything will be status quo. From a heated discussion with someone at work who switches between thumbless and using his thumb isn't happy. He feels the USBC is making a mistake. He says this is going to make more bowlers go find non-sanctioned leagues and leave the USBC's reach. Apparently if you don't like following rules and feel the need to cheat then sure non-sanctioned is the way to go. Good riddance, I wouldn't want to bowl with them then anyway if they can't follow rules. LOL

Talk about making a big deal over nothing. How difficult is this? Plug the extra hole or get a second ball drilled without a thumb and move on with your day. They can still throw without the thumb and chuck it over gutters 40 feet all that want. No rules against that. Instead lets cry about it and call foul? The only mistake the USBC made is not making these rules eons ago when thumbless started becoming a thing.

fordman1
04-25-2018, 04:19 PM
What is the balance hole for? Can't the pro shop drill a ball without having to add an extra hole? Or is it the manufacturer who can't make a ball that is balanced? Can't the bowler hook the ball without a ball that has all the weight on the side?
Explain your self you experts!

Phonetek
04-25-2018, 04:36 PM
What is the balance hole for? Can't the pro shop drill a ball without having to add an extra hole? Or is it the manufacturer who can't make a ball that is balanced? Can't the bowler hook the ball without a ball that has all the weight on the side?

I agree. If I get a ball that can't be balanced within spec without the need for an extra hole then I'll tell them not to drill it and find a different ball. Fortunately I have not run into this scenario as of yet. It appears it won't be a concern much longer.

mx1alex
04-25-2018, 04:46 PM
While yes, this is true, it will at least be justifiable. I was a firm believer in the Red,White and Blue patterns. If they came out with something like this and said, "Here, in order to be sanctioned you have to use at least one of these". Instead of, "I average 230+ on my house shot I bowl on every week that is a wall on the 8 board, but when I go bowl tournaments, I complain about the 190-200 average bowler who bowls in a house that lays out a tougher shot getting 15-20 sticks a game"

I like your idea of making leagues report the scores to a pattern. It's not fair to have two bowlers of equal skill levels have different handicaps only because one bowls on a harder pattern in league than the other.

RobLV1
04-25-2018, 04:57 PM

It's not the manufacturer who makes a ball balanced. It's the ball driller and how he/she decides to drill the bowling ball for a particular bowler. With the current side weight max of 1 oz (pick up five quarters = one ounce), the balance hole is needed for many popular drillings to keep the side weight from going over one ounce. Raising the static weight requirement to three ounces will allow most drillings to be used with no balance hole. They ones that can't be used without a balance hole will go away.

By the way, the side weight has minimal effect on how much the ball hooks (watch the video - 2 boards), but the way the ball is drilled and the resulting imbalance determines the shape of the hook and where the ball hooks on the lane.

RobLV1
04-25-2018, 04:59 PM
I like your idea of making leagues report the scores to a pattern. It's not fair to have two bowlers of equal skill levels have different handicaps only because one bowls on a harder pattern in league than the other.

As long as the USBC and BPAA are both headquartered in the same building, nothing will EVER be done that requires proprietors to do anything to monitor their oil patterns... it's just not fiscally feasible!

Phonetek
04-25-2018, 05:54 PM
As long as the USBC and BPAA are both headquartered in the same building, nothing will EVER be done that requires proprietors to do anything to monitor their oil patterns... it's just not fiscally feasible!

You mention USBC and proprietors. How much hold does the USBC have on the centers? I know where I work we get the lanes and equipment certified I believe once or twice a year. What if the center told the USBC to go pound sand and didn't invite them in to certify anything? Given how it is where I'm at we aren't required to have any certified leagues or tournaments as it is and we don't. What happens if we didn't follow their rules on the lanes? Does the USBC have the power to shut down a center or can they still operate without following guidelines? I know this is a tad off topic but since Rob opened the door I figured it would be a valid question and I'm curious.

RobLV1
04-25-2018, 06:14 PM
The USBC has no hold on bowling centers to my knowledge. They are charged with growing and upholding the integrity of the game; something at which they have failed miserably in my opinion. It would not surprise me at all if the USBC does not continue to lose membership and fades away altogether in the not-to-distant future. This all started when they decided to walk away from their "old" headquarters in Wisconsin and moved into the Arlington facility that they share with the BPAA. As a matter of nature, the USBC and the BPAA are at crossed purposes. They USBC is supposed to support the bowlers. The BPAA supports the profits of the proprietors. If this is not a "no win" situation for the bowlers, I don't know what is. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion based on what I have seen and experienced.

Phonetek
04-25-2018, 06:22 PM
The USBC has no hold on bowling centers to my knowledge. They are charged with growing and upholding the integrity of the game; something at which they have failed miserably in my opinion. It would not surprise me at all if the USBC does not continue to lose membership and fades away altogether in the not-to-distant future. This all started when they decided to walk away from their "old" headquarters in Wisconsin and moved into the Arlington facility that they share with the BPAA. As a matter of nature, the USBC and the BPAA are at crossed purposes. They USBC is supposed to support the bowlers. The BPAA supports the profits of the proprietors. If this is not a "no win" situation for the bowlers, I don't know what is. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion based on what I have seen and experienced.

Understood on it being your opinion. For what it's worth given your experience I lean toward it being pretty accurate. Given my love of the game I sorta wish the USBC did have some hold. It bothers me seeing all this non-certified competition going on and I want no part of it. However it seems that the certified events and leagues are going away at an alarming rate and eventually I'll be forced to join them unless all I want to do is open bowl. Pretty sad in my opinion.

vdubtx
04-25-2018, 06:58 PM

Truer words couldn't have been spoken about this. The BPAA is the one driving the non-monitoring aspect of this statement. Heck, I think BPAA is driving more of what USBC does than the USBC would care to admit. LOL

boatman37
04-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Hmmmm. won't affect me as I don't wipe my ball at all during games (I know.....), I have never had a balance hole and use all 3 holes.

My PSO told me when he drilled my BWG he mentioned either 3.5oz side weight or 3/4 oz. Don't remember now because I had no idea what he was talking about anyway...lol

RobLV1
04-25-2018, 08:38 PM
While certified leagues are indeed disappearing at an alarming rate, there is only one reason that many bowlers choose to vote for certification and pay for membership... fear, "OMG, what if I shoot 300 and there's no-one to give me a ring?" Most every year the USBC raises dues and cuts back on awards. How many key chains can any individual use in a lifetime?

got_a_300
04-25-2018, 08:47 PM
I really have no problems with the new rules at all because I
believe it will make for a more level playing field but that is
just my opinion. I will probably be getting too old and broken
down to even be bowling anyway by then the way I'm going
down hill. LOL!!!!!

I think to really make for a level playing field and to bring out
a bowlers real talent all balls should be required to be drilled
on a straight up label lay out with no exotic layouts and weight
holes to help make a ball do something special.

Blacksox1
04-25-2018, 09:42 PM
New rules ok with me.

Phonetek
04-26-2018, 01:47 AM
While certified leagues are indeed disappearing at an alarming rate, there is only one reason that many bowlers choose to vote for certification and pay for membership... fear, "OMG, what if I shoot 300 and there's no-one to give me a ring?" Most every year the USBC raises dues and cuts back on awards. How many key chains can any individual use in a lifetime?

Where else does the USBC get their funding from besides membership? If that's all they get is just membership fees to work with then the decline of membership is likely why it goes up. The over abundance of honor scores due to modern equipment could outweigh the funding they have causing them to have to cut back. That's just a guess and one of many possible reasons. Someone should pose the question to them on why they are doing these things and see what they say.

That fear and honor scores isn't why I prefer certification vs. non. I prefer it because the rules mean something when it's certified. They can be enforced and help keep things fair to promote some competition. To me, when the rules are being paid attention to it feels more like a sport rather than a night out with the boys. Non-certified feels more like open bowling but with teams and bowling shirts. They don't even use foul lights for the non-certified leagues where I work. Heck, nobody in the place even knows how to turn them on or if they work or not. including our head mechanic which really shocked me. LOL Worse yet, nobody cares.

mattmc82
04-26-2018, 07:39 AM

I would like to be in one so that I can have an average on the books and so others can go pro. the local chapter hasn't updated the sanctioned league list since 2015. basically told me to go to each alley and put up a flyer asking to join one. thanks for the help guys haha

bowl1820
04-26-2018, 09:26 AM
I would like to be in one so that I can have an average on the books and so others can go pro. the local chapter hasn't updated the sanctioned league list since 2015. basically told me to go to each alley and put up a flyer asking to join one. thanks for the help guys haha

Put up a flyer? Jeez.. If they have a bulletin board sure why not.

But Most houses have a sign up sheet or book for leagues, since most leagues are ending about now. You would be looking at summer leagues, just go in and ask. See what they have available on nights you can bowl, if not noted ask if they are certified.

Some houses also post lists of teams needing players and/or players looking for teams.

boatman37
04-26-2018, 10:51 AM

Well if you want to drive an hour every Tuesday night you can probably find an opening in our league. Our summer league starts next Tuesday. I think it starts at 8:00PM. 4 game sets. 2 bowlers per team (4 per pair) so you get done pretty quick. This will be my first year in it so don't know much about it or if it is even sanctioned. I know you can have 3 man teams and rotate bowlers. Next week my 2 teammates will be away so we have a 4th guy filling in. Then the following week I will probably sit out and those 2 will bowl, etc, etc. I know one of my teammates said he had a friend wanting to get in and was looking for a partner. Let me know and I will see if I can get you hooked up.

Phonetek
04-26-2018, 03:15 PM
The new rules from a PSO point of view. Talked to mine today and he's hopping mad about the new rules. He said he's going to lose a ton of business and money due to having to plug the holes because he's going to have to do many for free or risk losing the customers. I told him that he didn't make the rule so he shouldn't lose business because of it but I guess some people wouldn't share in that thought. He said the USBC tried this rule in the past but the ball manufacturers put a stop to it. He said he's ready to boycott the USBC because of it. He also feels that it will give a greater advantage to two handers but I really didn't understand his reasoning on it. Lastly, the less oil absorption cover stocks he feels will just result in the centers putting down less oil to compensate so people who need the aggressive balls will still be able to hook it so it won't result in preserving the shot. A different take on the situation so I figured I'd include it in this post.

mattmc82
04-26-2018, 07:45 PM
Put up a flyer? Jeez.. If they have a bulletin board sure why not.

But Most houses have a sign up sheet or book for leagues, since most leagues are ending about now. You would be looking at summer leagues, just go in and ask. See what they have available on nights you can bowl, if not noted ask if they are certified.

Some houses also post lists of teams needing players and/or players looking for teams.

http://www.gpusbcba.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/leaguesbycenters_rotated.pdf

It’s incredible how few leagues are sanctioned around here considering I sometimes have to drive an hour just to find open bowling.

With regards to the new rules, I wonder how they will test oil absorption.

bowl1820
04-26-2018, 07:54 PM
With regards to the new rules, I wonder how they will test oil absorption.

There's a video here

http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads/21593-Bowling-Technology-Study-AN-EXAMINATION-AND-DISCUSSION-ON-TECHNOLOGY%E2%80%99S-IMPACT

Scroll down to Bowling Technology Study - SECTION IV: Bowling Ball Oil Absorption Study

Basically they put a drop of oil on the ball and watch it and time how long it takes to be absorbed.

J Anderson
04-27-2018, 10:53 AM
The new rules from a PSO point of view. Talked to mine today and he's hopping mad about the new rules. He said he's going to lose a ton of business and money due to having to plug the holes because he's going to have to do many for free or risk losing the customers. I told him that he didn't make the rule so he shouldn't lose business because of it but I guess some people wouldn't share in that thought. He said the USBC tried this rule in the past but the ball manufacturers put a stop to it. He said he's ready to boycott the USBC because of it. He also feels that it will give a greater advantage to two handers but I really didn't understand his reasoning on it. Lastly, the less oil absorption cover stocks he feels will just result in the centers putting down less oil to compensate so people who need the aggressive balls will still be able to hook it so it won't result in preserving the shot. A different take on the situation so I figured I'd include it in this post.

I talked to my PSO Wednesday since most of my balls do have a weight hole to meet the old static weight rules. He's not worried at all about the new rules. His initial response was "Ca-ching!" Since all the current balls are compliant, people who don't take care of their stuff will still be buying at least one new ball per season. At the point where the weight holes go away, he figures he'll have an upsurge in plugging old balls.

bowl1820
04-27-2018, 11:21 AM
At the point where the weight holes go away, he figures he'll have an upsurge in plugging old balls.

That or he'll be selling new balls to all the people that say why bother putting money into a old ball.:cool:

panbanger
04-27-2018, 11:32 AM
The rule about liquid cleaners during competition is concerning. When I get belt or grease marks on my ball, I spray it and clean it off. The rule says I can still do so, but only with the tournament/league honcho's approval. I have a feeling this won't be a big deal in a league setting, but stopping during a tournament to do a "Mother may I" to clean off a belt mark will be annoying.

Phonetek
04-27-2018, 02:29 PM
The rule about liquid cleaners during competition is concerning. When I get belt or grease marks on my ball, I spray it and clean it off. The rule says I can still do so, but only with the tournament/league honcho's approval. I have a feeling this won't be a big deal in a league setting, but stopping during a tournament to do a "Mother may I" to clean off a belt mark will be annoying.

Belt marks on the ball in most cases are due to filthy or poorly worn carpets (big belt in the pit that pulls pins to the pin lift wheel and angles ball to return door) Also if the ball lift belts are covered in crud or the ball wipes aren't on or changed at least once a week then you will get that stuff on the ball. Bottom line poor maintenance. Since liquid cleaners aren't approved anymore, bowlers need to complain to the center to make their pin chasers and mechanics to go do their job and clean the equipment or change the worn carpets!

It literally takes 5 minutes to clean a pair of pinsetter carpets and ball lift belts every few days or once a week. It's not rocket science, just a rag with some cleaner on it. Alcohol and Simple Green works great. Cleaning the gutters each time they oil and oiling daily will minimize debris carry down to the pit keeping the machinery cleaner. Of course there are some other situations like a pin getting caught in the carpet which could stir up debris or a ball stuck going up and down in the ball lift that can cause it among other things.

In most cases it's neglect and laziness by the guys in back so by all means make your voice heard to the counter to light a fire under their rear end. 99% of the time it can be avoided. At a good clean well maintained center your ball should come back with nothing but your oil rings. If enough people complain it may force the centers to do a better job. Google, Facebook and Yelp are also effective ways to get your point across if they don't listen. Trust me they look at these things if they have any dignity and care about their business. Bad reviews go a long way.

TCJ
04-28-2018, 11:20 PM
No real effect here. It seems nobody in my center cares about rules anyway and people pretty much do whatever they want and nobody else pays attention. I could have thirteen holes in my bowling ball and nobody would say a word.