PDA

View Full Version : Every bowling split possible??

BowlerGuy1500
05-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, so I've been trying to research EVERY possible split you can get in bowling.

I'm creating a bowling game, and I'm trying to adjust the scoring system to update throws with the little circle to indicate that it's a split.

After going to a few sites, the splits they show on there aren't organized in a list or any of that, so it's hard to get a full list of every split you can get in bowling.. If you knew any sites that had something like this, that'd be great!

Thanks guys :)

mishatx
05-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Are you asking if it's possible to *leave* any split? Technically, yes, I suppose, although physics makes some extremely rare (I can't see how any adult on a good lane could leave a 4-5-6 or 7-8-9-10, for instance).

Phonetek
05-04-2018, 05:20 PM
You're trying to put together a list of every possible split combination? I suppose if you wanted to do this it's just a matter of starting with the 2 pin and simply putting it up with every other pin that would be a split and then moving to the 3 pin and doing the same thing and so on. Of course anything with the headpin is a wash out unless you're including those too. It can take some time to do what you're doing but like anything else there is only so many combinations. I guess be thankful there is only 10 pins and it's not 100 pin bowling like Wii Sports.

mishatx
05-04-2018, 05:46 PM
If you want to write code to determine a split, maybe calculate on the fly rather than do a lookup?

if #pins = 1 then !split
if pin1.isup then !split
if (pin2.isup and (pin3.isup or (!pin4.isup and !pin5.isup) ) then split
if (pin3.isup and (pin2.isup or (!pin5.isup and !pin6.isup) ) then split
if (pin4.isup and ((!pin2.isup and !pin7.isup and !pin8.isup) or (pin5.isup and !pin2.isup)) then split

etc.

BowlerGuy1500
05-05-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Well actually, if I asked this question, it'd probably make everything a lot simpler. What's the formula for a split in bowling?? I originally thought any pin leave, separated by one spot, excluding the head pin, was a split. Apparently, this isn't always the case..

If that formula for splits in bowling could be further explained, I could probably work on adding every split combination in the module I have.

Unless it's not an exact formula.. with that being said, I didn't entirely understand what you were saying about starting at the 2-pin and then every other pin? then moving down to the 3-pin. It's just not processing in my brain :/

Thanks guys! :)

Phonetek
05-05-2018, 01:29 PM
What I meant by starting with the two pin.....Go through each combination that would equate to a split that would include the two pin. After you finished that then do each possible combination containing the 3 pin and so on. As you go further obviously they would start to become redundant because many of the combinations will be taken by the earlier pins leaving fewer possibilities as you go through. Basically it's process of elimination.

bowl1820
05-05-2018, 02:03 PM
If your writing a program, you don't particularly need a "list" of splits to have the program check against. You just have to write the code to have it check what pins are left standing and if they meet the criteria for a "split" and then if it does mark it as a split.

Criteria for a "split"

2h. Split
A split is a setup of pins left standing after the first delivery, provided the head pin is down and at least one pin is down:
1. Between two or more standing pins; e.g., 7-9 or 3-10.
2. Immediately ahead of two or more standing pins; e.g., 5-6.

Considering how many bowling programs there are, The needed source code is probably already written that you can get to either add to your project or reference .

mishatx
05-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Obviously, it has to be two or more pins to be a split.

If pin #1 is left up, it's not a split, by definition, no matter what else is left up.

It is a split if any pin is separated from the other pin(s) by more than one spot.
It's also a split if two pins are next to each other on the same row (4-5 or 9-10 for instance) but the pin in front of the two (2 and 6, in this case) is not up.

Put another way, every pin standing must be able to connected to an adjacent pin on a diagonal for it to not be a split.

Phonetek
05-05-2018, 02:10 PM
Put another way, every pin standing must be able to connected to an adjacent pin on a diagonal for it to not be a split.

Don't forget about sleepers, they aren't on a diagonal but for everything else you are correct Mishatx.

BowlerGuy1500
05-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info!

I think I got it.. I'll probably attempt to modify the system to get rid of the list, and go through the criteria for a split.

mishatx
05-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Ah, there you go. 2-8 and 3-9 are the two exceptions.

BowlerGuy1500
05-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, so I'm still having a hard time processing this in my head.. :/

I'm trying to figure out how to go about writing the code, but the criteria for what is a split is still not processing in my head.. Any further explanations would be highly appreciated!

Blacksox1
05-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Buy an app for 5$. Put in every spare combo in, app will tell you the splits, take notes. Good luck and report your findings.:)

BowlerGuy1500
05-07-2018, 06:47 PM
Black, thanks for the reply, although that's not quite what I'm looking for..

Plus, on most of those apps you have to actually say if it's a split or not. although I like the idea..

Blacksox1
05-07-2018, 06:53 PM
Best bowling is what I use. See my scores thread.

boatman37
05-07-2018, 08:49 PM
PinPal tells you if it's a split. i have the paid version ($7.99) but i think the free version tells you too

BowlerGuy1500
05-08-2018, 06:12 PM
I'll check that out. Thank you!