PDA

View Full Version : ARG Stuck in a slump

nickcuban
02-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Well I shouldn't stay "stuck" in a slump, more like hitting a wall. I used to bowl when I was younger and my average was about 140. I stopped for a few years and started again a few months ago. My current average is 169.x and I CAN'T get it any higher. It really sucks because I generally bowl between155 and 175 (hence my average) but I can bowl over 200 usually at least 1 of 6 games... But that game is usually followed by a game in the 130s!!!

I need to get a video of me throwing the ball a few times so you all can see my method.

Any suggestions on what to do in the mean time? Anyone been in my position and how did you get out of it?

ThongPrincess
02-17-2009, 02:48 AM
If you can afford it, get a coach who will work with you on improving your game. If you don't know one, you can always go to Bowl.com and click on the "Find a Coach." They list the USBC Certified coaches in your area.

You also might talk to your pro shop guy or one of the better bowlers in the center where you bowl. I have used a few certified coaches and right now am working with a friend who is a high bowler and works at the center.

The Bowling Guru
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
I have been in a slump before, mainly due to taking some time off. Before I took the time off, I was averaging around 215, and was able to wheel the entire lane effortlessly. After about a month off, I went back to bowling again and just could not get the ball to hook, causing my average to plummet. It took a good 3 weeks to get my release back, and then my average climbed back to where it used to be.

Bowlers go through slumps, as it is just part of the game. You can go a few weeks of having some great games and series, to a few weeks where you just flat out struggle. I would advise you to just go out and practice, and really work on your game. That is what I usually do, and over time, I will start to realize my flaws, and then I can correct them to improve my scores. You can also have an experienced bowler take a look at your approach and release to see if they can spot anything that might need to be corrected.

11 in a row
02-26-2009, 03:59 PM
i agree with posters in here that tell you if you can,t find a coach or you can,t afford one then find the bowlers that bowl well in your center...for me i,m self taught but will talk to all the bowlers in my center that have high averages and they know me well enough to give me some info on what to do with your game ..so biggest thing is don,t get in a hurry take your time ..don,t rush things just to get it over with...so i would talk to the top guys in your center that are willing to give you the right information so you can adapt it to your game as well...do what works for you....

nickcuban
02-26-2009, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine is a great bowler and I was bowling with him the other day and asked him to take a look at me and tell me what I could do to better my scores. He said that my approach was kind of weak and my release was wrong. I guess I was just walking up to the lane and not staying low. Also I was releasing the ball and bringing my weight back instead of forward. Also I had the ball cocked to the side really bad.

Now I am staying lower and keeping the ball straighter. It seems to be working, but I need to get more revs on the ball so I can throw it harder. I throw it about 14-16mph and I'd like to get more into the 16-18 mph range. But until I get the revs up I can't get the ball to hook enough.

It is a constant work in progress.

The KingPin
02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Well I shouldn't stay "stuck" in a slump, more like hitting a wall. I used to bowl when I was younger and my average was about 140. I stopped for a few years and started again a few months ago. My current average is 169.x and I CAN'T get it any higher. It really sucks because I generally bowl between155 and 175 (hence my average) but I can bowl over 200 usually at least 1 of 6 games... But that game is usually followed by a game in the 130s!!!

I need to get a video of me throwing the ball a few times so you all can see my method.

Any suggestions on what to do in the mean time? Anyone been in my position and how did you get out of it?

I know you use the BowlingBoards.com Bowling Score and Analysis software, so I know you care about your game and your progress.

I think everyone has really hit home on some solutions, mainly being a coach or someone to watch you and point out things between each shot.

Say you throw a strike and then a 3 count. Something is different and I am not saying just 7 pins. Something in the way you are throwing, thinking, or holding your ball.

Not to say you are doing any of these things, but here are some tips that helped me.

1. Do not think about anyone around you. Pretend its just you and the pins. If you ever have see the movie, For the Love of the Game, the pitcher zones everything out. If you are worried about what others think about you bowling, you will think too hard. Just have fun.

2. Before you get setup to throw, breathe. Take a deep breathe. Focus on your target. Again feel good about yourself and surroundings.

3. Be confident. If you think negative, you MAY, not will bowl bad sometimes. If you think, I will never get that single 10 pin, you may get yourself worked up, and miss it. So think positive and bowl positive.

These are just a few things, and believe me I amnot a coach. These small things have just helped me.

Keep us posted.

Chris

The KingPin
02-28-2009, 11:14 AM
If you can afford it, get a coach who will work with you on improving your game. If you don't know one, you can always go to Bowl.com and click on the "Find a Coach." They list the USBC Certified coaches in your area.

You also might talk to your pro shop guy or one of the better bowlers in the center where you bowl. I have used a few certified coaches and right now am working with a friend who is a high bowler and works at the center.

That makes me wonder what I can do to get that feature here?

nickcuban
03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Being inconsistent really sucks. Sorry the scores are small and kind of hard to read.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/nickcuban/Untitled.jpg

11 in a row
03-09-2009, 02:36 PM
do what works for you and try not to do what other good bowlers do in your center..

kingpin has a great step by step on what to do and it will work with confidence..my philosphy is too much thinking is too much stinking...know before you go and stick with your plan ..have a plan ...

schades2009
03-13-2009, 01:33 AM
find a good coach to help you with your technique.
good coaching got me out of my slump. :)
give it a try.

nickcuban
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
I am going to go bowling tonight. I hope I will have better success than I have as of late. I will try to get a video of what I do so ya'll can see all the mistakes I make lol.

ThongPrincess
03-17-2009, 06:12 PM
That makes me wonder what I can do to get that feature here?

It actually only lists the certified coaches who pay the fee to be a part of the Coaches Association. You might contact them and see if you could create a similar feature. The email address for questions is coaching@bowl.com.

The other this is have us, the members here list the coaches and contacts we know from our state in the Bowling Buddies section. Or let us do a copy and paste from the USBC site, if that is legal.

Back on topic:

At each practice go with a set plan. Pick one or two things to work on and that is your major focus for the session. From personal experience, often inconsistency often comes from the first step. Make sure, if using a 4 step, that the ball and foot go together on the first step.

As KingPin said, keep positive. If you roll a bad shot, it is just that a bad shot. Let it go, the shot is over and cannot be redone. Evaluate each session based on execution first - did you roll the ball well. Then look at the scores, if they don't match the execution, why? Is it spare shooting, wrong part of the lane, etc. Make a note and use that information to plan the next practice session. Just my 2 cents worth.

nickcuban
03-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Well I went tonight and was inconsistent like usual, but at least I started with a good game. Here are two videos of me throwing the ball... The quality is kinda bad and the angle sucks. But oh well here they are:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/nickcuban/memoir/th_Video0012.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/nickcuban/memoir/?action=view&current=Video0012.flv)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/nickcuban/memoir/th_Video0010.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/nickcuban/memoir/?action=view&current=Video0010.flv)

onefrombills
03-18-2009, 04:09 AM
the best advise I can say is you have to bowl thur a slump or go into your local pro shop and see someone in there for a fix lesson

dougb
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I hit the same wall as you did, coaching took me past it.

Jord_84
03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Well I went tonight and was inconsistent like usual, but at least I started with a good game. Here are two videos of me throwing the ball... The quality is kinda bad and the angle sucks. But oh well here they are:
From what I can see, it looks like you're bringing your arm behind you slightly, instead of straight back.
I also noticed that the first video where you threw a strike, you followed through with your release.
The second video it looks like you didn't follow through, then the ball came in too low.

I'd keep up with the practice and videotape the sessions. Pay attention to your follow-through and see if you aren't more consistent.

MH1313
03-30-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm no expert, but it looked as if on the second shot your body opened towards the right. That is never good for a low rev bowler. We need to be square to the lane.

If I were you I'd do what I did after coming back to bowling after 6yrs off. Don't worry about your pin count in practice. Focus on hitting your mark and being consistent throughout the whole process. Bring the ball straight back and straight forward, keep your hand behind the ball (you'll get more revs) lift consistently with the fingers and follow through straight up through the shoulder. Remember, hit right=move right.

Consistency is key! If you aren't being consistant you can't adjust to the lane conditions and your scores will suffer.

UrMagesty
03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
After watching the videos I agree with the above posts.

In a textbook situation you want to push the ball in front of you (straight out) and let your arm swing straight back. You shouldn't feel the weight of the ball if your arm swing is "correct".

When you don't push the ball out in front of you then the body has a tendency to try and auto correct the weight distrubition and your arm will pull towards the center of your body on the way out and on the way back will swing out towards the gutter. Or just the opposite and your arm swings out towards the gutter on the way back and on the way forward will spray towards the 7 pin.

Any decent coach that is bronze or better will be able to teach you a consistent arm swing without changing the rest of your motion.

Outside of getting your balance at the line your average being around 160ish is consistent with an inconsistent bowler.

The majority of bowlers in your average range are not converting better then 50% of your spare opportunities a game. All the greats agree that you strike for show and spare for dough.

Hope this helps some...

nickcuban
03-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Thank you guys very much for the responses. I feel like I am picking up more than 505 of my spares, but if I go tonight I will keep track... It's a statistic I never even thought about.

Yeah, I am inconsistent as hell. The last time I bowled a 246, the next game was 141 :(

I will try to work on the 'swing' so that I am not going inside out.

The more I try to improve, the more I realize this is just like golf!

MH1313
03-31-2009, 02:17 PM
As a high school bowler my coaches used to keep track of a lot of "stats" for us. Some of them were interesting, some sad. A stat I like to keep track of besides my spare % is my 8 or better on the first ball. Typically 8 or better means you are in the pocket, this can tell you how consistent you are.

Keep the ball in the pocket two things will happen, an easy spare, or a strike. rarely will you split (unless you are high or light to an extreme) it just helps to keep something in mind.

as for the strikes vs. spares...I couldn't agree more! focusing on spares are the most important piece to the game. My coach used to say "anyone can get a strike, only someone who has skill can consistently cover their spares!" thats just something I think about when I'm up against a big shooter....

nickcuban
03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Ok, so tonight I will track: Strikes, spares, how many 8 or more on non strikes per game. Anything else?

MH1313
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
nah, that should get ya...I wouldn't want to over think the game too much. You are there to have fun! Granted bowling well is fun, but don't let it all bog you down.

let us know how you did after league!

UrMagesty
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
nah, that should get ya...I wouldn't want to over think the game too much. You are there to have fun! Granted bowling well is fun, but don't let it all bog you down.

let us know how you did after league!

I couldn't agree more with that... My worst slump (2 months before I broke it) was from making a few minor changes in my swing to alleviate knee pain. In my personal experience I've usual found it easiest to track stats and work on timing during the fall season and make major corrections and overhauling my swing during the summer leagues or open bowling during the summer when the prices are usually discounted. After you find your timing in line and feel comfortable with ball reaction etc it takes the body about 100 repetitions over a weeks timeframe to develop muscle memory so like MH said try not to over think it and let it bog you down. There are plenty of people here to help you and hundreds of articles scattered across the web and videos posted up on how to conduct a "successful" practice session.

Bobgpaa
04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Nick, do you have a digital camera with a movie feature? If so, record yourself bowling. I used this to work on my consistantcy. Watch how you swing the bowl. Try to start it off to your side. Push out straight down the lane. Watch your swing to see if it's straight, nothing behind the back. Once you get your swing consistant and straight, you will find that you hit your mark more consistantly.
Practice just a few items at a time. You aren't going to fix everything at once. Work on a straight pushoff, straight swing and hit that mark. with practice the scores will come. Good luck.

nickcuban
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I think I might take LONG break from bowling if I don't start improving soon. I bowled mostly in the 140s last Thursday night. It is possibly the most frustrating thing in the world... at least at that time. But seriously, it sucks.

Jord_84
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
don't do that! you'll come back worse than where you are right now lol

take a break from it over the summer and go back into it in the fall with a good attitude.
this is just something you've got to work through, from what I've seen in your videos, you throw a nice ball. You've got the potential to do so much better, but you've got to stick it out through this slump.
Hang in there!

nickcuban
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Well I enjoy bowling and I feel like I can probably be good enough to hold down a 200 average... BUT I am tired of being crappy.

The other day I came to the realization that I should probably stop doing a lot of things. I should stop: guitar, drums, bolwing, golf (although I don't think I could ever stop golfing), most video games. I don't ever see myself getting better at them and I am beginning to not want to do them because I just get frustrated and stop.

Who am I kidding, I probably won't quit any of them. I just need to find something I am really really good at.

jaws1945
04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I was in a slump for most of this season. I was off by about 5 inches(The distance between my ears)

MH1313
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Nick,

Stick with it man! Like Jord said you need to work through this. Do you have fun when you bowl? Thats the most important thing...Don't look at your scores as the measure of a good bowler. Look at your enjoyment of the game and whether you improve or not.

I used to average 190's back in high school, took 6yrs off of league for college, came back to league and averated 150's for most of the first season. I still had the 190 mentality, it damn near killed me! I got back to the basics, and started practicing, focusing on the fundamentals of bowling and now 2yrs later, I'm finally consistently bowling back at my former level...Slumps can take time to work through.

Muscle memory is a huge piece of being a "good' bowler. You need to put in a lot of time practicing so your body knows what to do without thinking about it. I would also reccomend a workout routine (if you dont' already have one) to help build strength and consistency. my scores improved drastically once I started working out again...it took fatigue and a lot of the goofy arm positions out of the equation.

Also if you drink alcohol during league, I'd stop...yeah it helps loosen you up, but it also can detract from your concentration.

Remember bowling is fun! You should never take it too seriously, because no matter what you WILL make mistakes and have bad games. Just have fun with your friends and throw the ball ;)

nickcuban
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I have fun until I start making a lot of mistakes. The main problem is that the ball doesn't hook the same amount every time. Sometimes the throws feel exactly the same and the ball appears to travel down the same line (within 2-3 boards) and be spinning the same way, but it won't hook NEAR as much.

Plus I hate the idiots that have NO lane etiquette. They always seem to be next to me and man they make me mad.

Jord_84
04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
if it's not hooking the same...your wrist might not be positioned the same as the last ball, also your fingers might be coming out of the ball differently and you're not getting the same amount of lift.

After watching your video, I pointed out to you that on one ball, it looked like you didn't follow through.
The follow through is so important because that's where your lift comes from, thus giving you more hook.
Like MH said, muscle memory is important....there are so many factors that go into a good approach and release, sometimes it's hard to remember every last little detail you have to go through to get a consistent hook.
The more you practice, the more you'll notice that you'll start doing all of these little things without even thinking.
Just keep practicing and sit back and enjoy the results

MH1313
04-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I wonder if the hooking issues aren't related to ball speed. Is that relatively consistent too?

I would also try to button down your accuracy. 2-3 boards at my center is a "big miss" I normally have one board either way or I'm in trouble, either no hook or too much hook...

The etiquette thing is somthing most of us deal with on a weekly basis...I just figure out who really doesn't have it, then make sure I either wait for them to be done, or I go up there and just let them go first no matter what...

Jord_84
04-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I wonder if the hooking issues aren't related to ball speed. Is that relatively consistent too?

true, ball speed is definitely another variable to consider

nickcuban
04-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah my ball speed is pretty consistent in 13-14mph range. I don't throw it all that hard because my lack of revs

MH1313
04-07-2009, 09:53 PM
if your speed is consistent, then I'm gonna have to agree with Jord, it has to be a follow through/hand position issue.

take your time you'll get it!

nickcuban
04-17-2009, 12:02 AM
So I took two weeks off from bowling... Partly because of Guitar Hero Metallica :) Anyway, I opened with a 152. Not bad, but then went 184,193,189, and 204. I'd say at least for tonight, I am out of my slump. It just felt good. I'm sure next time I go I will be bowling 140 again lol.