PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Sync

fordman1
06-30-2018, 11:17 AM
Do any of you have the Brunswick Sync system in your local center.
We are getting it installed this week, it may already be done.

What are the good and bad things about it. I have heard some good things about stats. That you can get all kinds of stuff emailed to you etc.

League bowling or Tournament only. I don't care about what it does for open bowlers.

fordman1
07-01-2018, 02:39 PM
No one answered so I looked it up and found out it is really new.

bowl1820
07-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Yep I guess nobody has it that posts on here, I've never seen it around here.

classygranny
07-03-2018, 11:47 PM
We got new scoring at both the Brunswick houses I bowl in, but the personnel can't even figure out how to operate the basics. Not sure if it's the Sync system but it gives stats and etc at end of game, series - not sure about the email stuff and I seriously doubt any of them have figured that one out. I can try and ask when the most intelligent person is working but I haven't seen him much lately.

fordman1
07-04-2018, 10:20 AM
There are a group of us old tired seniors who bowl on Monday at noon. Last week there were 8 of us. Big pots of $1.50 for high game and High card hand. Also High spade and low heart. The price is right and it is fun.

What I noticed is that they eliminated the Marks usually on the bottom of the telescore. It also shows your ball speed after each shot. They still had 3 tech's there helping with the operation of the stuff. How to enter names, change scores etc. Seems simpler than the old Brunswick we had. It is HD and the screen is really much better even with the same old monitors. Didn't get into too much of the technical stuff. If I learn anything new I will post it.

Happy 4th of July and be careful with the fire works. Hard to get fingers in the ball without fingers.

Phonetek
07-11-2018, 05:01 AM
Sounds a lot like the Cubica AMF system we have. Ball speed, different theme backgrounds, silly animations and a whole bunch of other useless fluff. On the upside you can calibrate the scorer's from the counter with a few clicks. Plus you can click on a persons name if you want bumpers to come up for them and hit a checkbox and done. Also, you can reset or cycle a pinsetter without having to walk down to the lane to do it. For leagues you can load the team lists, averages and handicaps on the correct lanes all at once in seconds. That said, gimme a paper score sheet or the transparencies with a white pencil for a telescore and I'm a happy guy LOL

fordman1
07-11-2018, 10:33 AM
"For leagues you can load the team lists, averages and handicaps on the correct lanes all at once in seconds. That said, gimme a paper score sheet or the transparencies with a white pencil for a telescore and I'm a happy guy LOL"

This has been a norm for years. It was in use in the 80's and maybe before that. Also you can have my paper or plastic score sheets. In league they were nothing but a head ache.

One of the bowlers told me he was 16 mph at the other center and only 12 on our new one. ??

Phonetek
07-11-2018, 02:54 PM
The MPH should only be used as an estimate. There really is no way to calibrate them besides making sure the lasers are lined up correctly. All it does is measure the time it takes for the ball to pass through both lasers. The phase your ball is in when it passes through (Sliding, grabbing or rolling) and the angle all create a variable. The distance at which the lasers are also makes a difference. I don't know if they are the same everywhere or not. Off the hand speed and at the pin speed are going to be different with the at the pins speed being slower of course.
The only way to test the real accuracy would be to use a radar for that purpose while E.A.R.L threw the ball to tell how accurate they really are. Humans sure can't throw it the EXACT same speed, the EXACT same way every time. A 4mph difference is significant though, I'm not sure what's up with that.

Amyers
07-12-2018, 09:26 AM
There are a variety of measurement systems. some show the estimated speed as your ball nears the pits some centers add to it automatically to show an estimated off hand speed. it's not uncommon for their to be 2 to 3 mph differences in the speed shown here between centers

watertank
07-12-2018, 04:28 PM
They have it at our house. Pretty nice stats. Speed, which as mentioned is off a little. True speed seems to be angle related, good ol’ straight balls are probably pretty accurate, but driving angles at the pocket…not so much. It does seem consistent though.

You can email yourself the scoresheet.
Setup pin locations, very nice for practicing. You can select how many cycles you would like of that particular leave. I haven’t figured out if the is a randomize leave, that would be really nice.

A good graphic screen for strike/spare percentages.

It’s nice, just have to play with it a little.

fordman1
07-12-2018, 05:14 PM
Thanks very informative.

Phonetek
07-12-2018, 06:32 PM
They have it at our house. Pretty nice stats. Speed, which as mentioned is off a little. True speed seems to be angle related, good ol’ straight balls are probably pretty accurate, but driving angles at the pocket…not so much. It does seem consistent though.

You can email yourself the scoresheet.
Setup pin locations, very nice for practicing. You can select how many cycles you would like of that particular leave. I haven’t figured out if the is a randomize leave, that would be really nice.

A good graphic screen for strike/spare percentages.

It’s nice, just have to play with it a little.

That seems to have some nice features. I like that you can program the cycles for a leave. I wonder if our Quibca does that? I was nosing around in it one day and it has a ridiculous amount of features, most of which nobody knows how to use. I know it has a feature where you could share your scores on Facebook but we don't have it hooked up to the internet to do it. It also has a feature where you can take photos with a webcam at the counter and when a person comes up to bowl it shows their photo on their turn. You COULD do it for all bowlers if you were so inclined. We only use it for little kids birthday parties.

Personally I could do without all the animations and the "How to pick up this spare" crap. Both can be disabled but it has to be done manually and again after that bowler leaves. Most of the stuff is cute and all but I believe in "KISS" (Keep It Simple Stupid).

As far as the ball speed indicators....they would possibly be more accurate if the distance between the two lasers was shorter. Since they are both mounted on the circuit board you can't move them. Plus if they were any closer it may break both beams too quickly, there has to be some gap. I can't remember the distance between the two but it isn't much but enough to make a difference on an angular roll. Who knows, their is probably some engineer working on it as we speak making a better mouse trap for that very purpose. Then again, maybe not. Face it, knowing EXACTS on ball speed isn't really that detrimental anyway. Even a pro isn't gonna say "The next ball has to be .1 MPH faster so I don't leave that 9 pin"

Question for you two guys...When you go to cosmic, do you have black lights by the pindeck instead of white bulbs? We do but I find when we use them that the scoring cameras hate them and will put up inaccurate scores. I know it's an issue with the brightness of the cameras, it has to be adjusted just right. Which tends to be a pain to adjust because one person has to adjust it manually on the lane and the other has to be at the camera looking at the monitor. There isn't a way to hook a laptop to it by the lane so you have to be on the phone with each other or yell across the house. Just curious.