PDA

View Full Version : Lanes getting cut in two weeks

Phonetek
07-29-2018, 09:01 PM
Two weeks from today in the afternoon we are closing early. I'm working with the head mechanic to drop the pindecks, take out the flat gutters and remove all the ball returns on the approach. The pinchasers are taking out all the chairs in the seating area, end caps and bumpers. The next day they are coming to cut the lanes. A more aggressive form of resurfacing. They are gonna send a machine down which is basically a power plane that's going to take off 1/16" each pass until there is no more dents. Whichever lane gets the most cut then all the lanes will be cut to match that depth as well as all the approach all the way across. It's going to make a HUGE mess! Meanwhile all the furniture, ball returns and end caps are going to get power washed and the end caps will get a fresh coat of paint. When all that's done we will raise the pindecks back up, clean up the big mess, coil the lanes and put in fresh bowling pins. Then USBC is going to come out and certify the lanes. Lastly, carpet in the entire place will be steam cleaned and we are supposed to re-open that Thursday.

It sounds like a tremendous amount of work to do in just 4 days. They have been through it before so I guess they'd know. I think seeing this process is going to be quite cool and a true learning experience. I also can't wait to be the first to bowl on fresh lanes! I am going to TRY to get a bunch of video on this but there will be stuff going on around the clock so I won't be able to get everything. I will try my best to get as much quality footage as I can. I know if anyone would appreciate that more it would you folks on this board.

Amyers
07-30-2018, 11:31 AM
They do this yearly in one of my houses but they close for 2 weeks to do it. Good luck doing it in 4 days. It is a 36 lane house though.

LyalC52
07-30-2018, 02:05 PM
back in the early 90's I worked in a 48 lane house that cut ever summer
they closed up Saturday night and re-opened the following Friday afternoon
The guy in charge was a long time construction supervisor and ran the project just like a construction site ( gant charts, daily assignments, punch list, etc...)
All the regular employees worked a bunch of overtime and they had 5 to 6 temporaries to get it done.
In addition, they deep cleaned the entire building, painted, refreshed and replaced what ever was needed.
I was one of the best houses around back then, sadly the building is now gone and a scummy used car dealership is on the property

Phonetek
07-30-2018, 02:09 PM
They cut the lanes or just resurface? They tell me there is a difference. They say cutting takes a lot more wood off the top and it can't be done too often or you'd eventually run out of wood which makes perfect sense. I think resurfacing is more of a sanding? We only have 12 lanes, I still think 4 days is ambitious too.

Amyers
07-30-2018, 03:04 PM
Truthfully I don't know. They re did the lanes and approach both usually there were no divot marks or anything after they finished and it took about two weeks bowling to get the approaches back to where they were just slick lol

fordman1
07-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Our lanes were resurfaced every year and never got bad enough to have to be cut. After about 35-40 years went to synthetic lanes but kept wood approaches. Just replaced the wood approaches. Bought the approaches from Taylor lanes in Taylor Mi. the long time PBA stop. The management there only did them every 5-6 years. They were in really good shape for being 40 yrs. old.

Phonetek
07-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Yeah I bet! LOL I'm eager to see the process and definitely the end result. Right now our lanes are rather orange looking and approaches have been sticky from the humidity lately. They tell me they haven't been touched in 3 years hence the color. It will be nice to see them blonde and fresh. It will probably really brighten up the place when it's all said and done. Thanks for the warning about the approaches, since I'm a minimal slider that's definitely valuable information to have so I don't break my arse!

ALazySavage
07-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Just make sure to measure twice...you could be like the new Bowlmor in North Phoenix on Mayo. They have decided to put in 52 foot lanes rather than the normal 60 foot lanes...

Phonetek
07-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Just make sure to measure twice...you could be like the new Bowlmor in North Phoenix on Mayo. They have decided to put in 52 foot lanes rather than the normal 60 foot lanes...

LOL I'm not doing the cutting. That's up to the pro's to do, they screw it up it's on them. My main job is to drop the pindecks because those don't get cut. When their done I have to raise them to be flush and even. All lanes have to have the tables adjusted to the new height and pins re-spotted and sweeps adjusted. I'm sure some other stuff I will find out about then. A LOT of work to do. Hopefully they don't have to take too much off or we are going to have to lower all the machines too.

bowl1820
07-30-2018, 05:39 PM
If you want a idea about how lanes are resurfaced then look at this page:

A Look at the Dying Craft of Sanding & Finishing Bowling Alleys
https://www.woodfloorbusiness.com/sanding-finishing/a-look-at-the-dying-craft-of-sanding-amp-finishing-bowling-alleys.html

http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Resurfacing/Res_Procedures.html

While some companies might use slightly different machines, the procedure is basically the same.

You can also look here:

http://bght.blogspot.com/2012/01/bowling-highlights-column-1-27-11.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayFknlnxFmk

bowl1820
07-30-2018, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSLE7lbFVI

bowl1820
07-30-2018, 05:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggn0mlCW_5w

doesn't appear to be a part 4

Phonetek
07-30-2018, 05:45 PM
Awe man Bowl1820, you stole my thunder by posting videos. I was gonna make one! LOL Just kidding, I'm still gonna make one either way. I'm sure I'll get some of the stuff you don't see in these about the full process. I'm not looking forward to editing it though.

Outerlimits
07-31-2018, 07:28 PM
I remember wood lanes when they had just been resurfaced, I always tended to score higher. Not sure if the finish had anything to do or if was mental, but they usually had a real nice reaction.

Phonetek
07-31-2018, 08:33 PM
I remember wood lanes when they had just been resurfaced, I always tended to score higher. Not sure if the finish had anything to do or if was mental, but they usually had a real nice reaction.

Could have certainly the finish. Could have been a lot of things really. Everything being re-calibrated and spotted, new pins and everything working properly. Then again it could have been mental like you said or coincidence, no way to tell. I plan on being the first to shoot on at least some of them. I'll let you know how I do. =)