PDA

View Full Version : What a Night!!!

GrumpyCatFace
08-15-2018, 10:58 PM
I just started bowling regularly last October, on a whim. A friend of mine had recently gone through a divorce, and was looking for something to do. He signed up for a league, and I joined him. I threw a house ball at around 100mph, and held a 107 average through the end of Winter League.

After a month or so, I wanted to get a little more serious, so I purchased a Pyramid Path Rising, and started learning to throw a hook. There were some ups and downs, but I started to get the hang of it a few months ago.

Coming into summer, I purchased my second ball, a Storm Hyroad (I love this ball), and got it freshly fitted. Whether from the fit or the ball, my average jumped to 130. I was onto something. I just couldn't seem to make the release consistent, though.

I tried suitcase, cup/release, cocked to the side, all kinds of things. Some gave an amazing reaction, but I couldn't repeat consistently. My average is around 132 now, but I'm improving quickly.

Then tonight, it all clicked.

First game, a 157. Not bad at all, for me. My highest ever was a 210, but it was a total fluke.

Second game... 246. Holy. Crap.
I had discovered my form. If I could only repeat it. Reading a Ron Clifton article earlier today, I realized the importance of good timing. As we started the 2nd game, I simply stood a little straighter in my stance, pushed the ball away a bit higher, and focused on the target with a quiet eye. For my release, I just turned my wrist a TINY bit at the bottom of the swing.

Strike after strike, after strike. I hit brooklyn, I hit low, everything went my way. Pins were FLYING around the pit.

Ok, that couldn't happen again. I'm simply not that good. But here goes... 239.

I bowled a 642. Mind blown.

People that have known me throughout the summer league were silent, watching. I didn't realize it at the time, but they were all standing clear when I shot. I had the center to myself. It was like nothing I've ever experienced.

I know that a lot of you guys are still looking for your shot. And I was about ready to give up hope, but it is out there. Just relax, and trust yourself and gravity to take care of it. Tiny adjustments can have AMAZING results.

Phonetek
08-16-2018, 12:35 AM
Good for you bud, I'm happy for you. 642 is a very respectable series. I'm pulling for you to have many more to come!

jaypeesmith
08-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Remind me not to bowl against you for money. Great work!

JasonNJ
08-16-2018, 09:54 AM
Awesome, I love those nights where everything is working and bowling just seems so easy. Unfortunately for me, I usually end up sucking the next time I bowl.

Keep it up, that 200 average will be coming. =P

GrumpyCatFace
08-16-2018, 03:11 PM
Awesome, I love those nights where everything is working and bowling just seems so easy. Unfortunately for me, I usually end up sucking the next time I bowl.

Keep it up, that 200 average will be coming. =P

That's kind of what I anticipate happening lol

Hopefully I can retain some of the magic sauce for next week.

got_a_300
08-16-2018, 03:26 PM
That's kind of what I anticipate happening lol

Hopefully I can retain some of the magic sauce for next week.

Hopefully your next week doesn't go like my next week usually does
I'll shoot something like a 640 to 740 series one week and maybe a
440 series the next week it seems like that's the way it goes. LOL!!!!!

Phonetek
08-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Remind me not to bowl against you for money. Great work!

Did someone mention bowling for money? Who? When? Where? How much? LOL I'm in! I'll probably lose but I miss those days.

got_a_300
08-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Did someone mention bowling for money? Who? When? Where? How much? LOL I'm in! I'll probably lose but I miss those days.

Hey Phonetek you can count me in too as I'd love to get some money games going
on again like back in the day.

Way back in the late 80's to the mid 90's the gang would all get together and we
would bowl for up to $100.00 per game and that added up to anywhere from around
$800.00 to $1000.00 for the winner each game.

We didn't always bowl for that much each game starting out but as some of them lost
money early on they would keep raising the pot each game until got up there like we
would start out at $10.00 per person and go from there and I'll have to say that I did
alright most of the time went home with a pocket full of money most nights. LOL!!!!

Phonetek
08-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Hey Phonetek you can count me in too as I'd love to get some money games going
on again like back in the day.

Way back in the late 80's to the mid 90's the gang would all get together and we
would bowl for up to $100.00 per game and that added up to anywhere from around
$800.00 to $1000.00 for the winner each game.

We didn't always bowl for that much each game starting out but as some of them lost
money early on they would keep raising the pot each game until got up there like we
would start out at $10.00 per person and go from there and I'll have to say that I did
alright most of the time went home with a pocket full of money most nights. LOL!!!!

Yep, used to love those after hours high stake games. That was a long time ago though when I was at the top of my game. I was also making great money then and single w/no kids. I had money to burn had it happened. I'm feeling pretty good now but still missing more spares that I should be missing. Not a lot of spares but enough to tank a lot of money in a high stake game. Even with this pay bump, money is still quite tight to get involved in that sort of stuff. This time next year I think I'll be better equipped.

GrumpyCatFace
08-28-2018, 10:53 PM
2 weeks later, I just rolled 13 strikes in a row. :) Not a 300, but a 655 series.

I think I'm onto something now. :)

boatman37
08-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Awesome! now share it with me cause i just got home from a rough one...lol

GrumpyCatFace
08-29-2018, 12:55 AM
Awesome! now share it with me cause i just got home from a rough one...lol

Really, it was just a fix to my timing. Standing straighter at the push away, and waiting a teensy bit longer before dropping the ball into a swing.
That late timing really allows me to set myself before the ball comes through, and I can focus on what I want to do with it.

My biggest problem now is just keeping my speed up, so I don’t hit Brooklyn. I’m not really trying to hook it at all, it’s just coming off my hand.

mx1alex
08-29-2018, 09:18 AM
I hope I can find some of that magic bowling juju when my league starts next week!

vdubtx
09-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Awesome to see this Grumpy! Getting that first 600 series and then another in quick succession is awesome. Looks like consistency is working for you right now. Keep it up. :cool: