PDA

View Full Version : new 3 ounce rule

fordman1
08-17-2018, 11:13 AM
Isn't the new rule of 3 ounces of side, and finger weight going to make balls hook too much?

Amyers
08-17-2018, 11:36 AM
From what I have heard from my drilling friends is that a P4 hole and 3 oz. of side weight the 3oz will effect ball motion much less.

vdubtx
08-17-2018, 11:45 AM
I am not very technical when it comes to drill layouts, but from what I am understanding, balls will flare less without the weight holes. My next ball I plan on getting drilled per Aug 2020 specs to see how much of a difference it will make for my own game.

RobLV1
08-18-2018, 11:14 AM
In the USBC's original ball motion study, they concluded that static weights had less of an effect on ball motion than the ambient temperature in the bowling alley. When weight holes are drilled they can greatly affect the static weights. Increasing the static weights to 3 oz. in combination with eliminating weight holes will make balls hook less, not more.

got_a_300
08-18-2018, 03:34 PM
in combination with eliminating weight holes will make balls hook less, not more.

I completely agree with that Rob as I had one ball that we drilled without a weight hole and
then we went back in after a few frames and drilled a weight hole in it and on the same lane
it hooked quite a few boards more than it did before the hole was put in it.

JerseyJim
08-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Storm has a video out on youtube about this subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9zahj7etws&t=206s . Bowling This Month also had an article with a lot of info about the effects of eliminating balance holes.