PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why I fix my own vehicles

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Recently I blew a metal brake line on my Tahoe. Coming to a red light, my pedal went to the floor. I quickly slammed it into low one and used the parking brake to come to a stop. I got out seen the puddle of fluid forming. I quickly made a Uey and headed slowly home. I got under and seen where the break was. The lines were all rusted because GM cheaped out and didn't use stainless steel like they are SUPPOSED to. I found the kit on Amazon to replace them all on the entire truck for 70 bucks, prebent and everyone who got them left rave reviews.

Replacing them is extensive work. I have to drop the tank, drive shaft and a series of electrical harnesses to do it. About a two day job on my back. The day I was going to order the parts my father in law called wifey and said to have it towed to the stealership that he wanted to pay to have it done. That's just his way, he brings his to the dealer to have a bulb replaced and even wipers. I've always been a DIY guy because I don't have that kind of money. I worked at a shop for 2 years as a wrench before I got into telecom. I didn't go to school for it other than a kick *** auto shop class in high school with a teacher I would compare to my head mechanic at work. I still talk to him to this day.

Today I got the call and realized while I DIY. The man called with a solemn tone and said. "Well we got under your Tahoe and it needs all new lines, also fuel lines, 4 new calipers so were looking at $5300. I said "WHAT!?" He says "Yeah, everything is so rusted it all needs to be replaced" I said "The calipers are all rusted? Kinda odd since they are solid steel" He said, "No but they probably won't get the bleeder screws loose without breaking them, they already shot them with penetrating oil" I said "What good is penetrating oil going to do? If the oil penetrates then the brake fluid would have been leaking out, Ever hear of a torch?"

He said "Oh we don't use torches because there is hydraulics inside" I said, "Your not heating the whole caliper, only the bleeder screw itself. You don't use an Oxygen Acetylene torch, just a propane to get it to 200 degrees your not trying to melt or cut anything. Get it hot then splash it with cold water, insert a 3mm drill bit in the screw so it doesn't collapse and gently turn it WILL come right out 100% of the time!" Not to mention, I just did the front brakes 3 months ago and the bleeders loosened right up and I put anti-seize compound on them. I told the dude "Don't call me like your a doctor with a terminal patient and tell me everything is a lost cause. If they can't get them loose without breaking them then they don't know what they are doing, they break it then they bought it I'm not paying for it PERIOD!"

They don't use torches? LOL EVERY mechanic here in the rust belt uses torches! If they don't, then they aren't mechanics they are parts changers! Also, my fuel lines are just fine, I was just under there looking at that very thing and checked them stem to stern and THEY are stainless steel like the brake lines SHOULD have been. Freaking Steelerships, such a joke!

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 12:21 PM
I actually know their motivation for quoting me that ridiculous price. First is because they figured they found a sucker who'd pay it. The other reason is because my 01 Tahoe is in cherry condition. It doesn't have so much as a rock chip or spec of rust. It runs perfect, burns no oil and even the interior is perfectly clean. You'd be hard pressed to find another 01 around in that kind of shape in Illinois. The blue book on it is still several thousand dollars. The next conversation would be if I declined the repair was to use it for a trade in which they would low ball me on. They'd get the truck, put a couple hundred in parts on it and turn around an cash in from selling it. I'm not stupid. LOL

GrumpyCatFace
08-20-2018, 01:24 PM
I think you nailed it with this part: "They're not mechanics, they're part changers"

There are very, VERY few actual mechanics left anymore.

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 01:48 PM
I think you nailed it with this part: "They're not mechanics, they're part changers"

There are very, VERY few actual mechanics left anymore.

Exactly. I just talked to the head service guy. I told them, I simply will NOT pay for calipers if they break them screws and that's that. He can pay for his guys blunders and poor skills or pass it onto the next idiot to make up for it. No excuses. Fuel lines? I can see MAYBE the ones at the tank at most because in fairness I couldn't see them without dropping the tank, so I'll give them that.

He tried telling me that the water pump is leaking too. I called him out on that and cried foul. I literally just did a pressure test on the cooling system a few weeks ago because I was smelling coolant but seen no leak, no drips but a still a loss. An extensive pressure test, turned out to be the reservoir cap. The seal is bad so air gets in and allows coolant to vaporize and evaporate hence the odor. I swapped it with my wife's who has a Trail Blazer same cap, problem fixed but moved to her truck. Repeated pressure test with her cap, no loss. I swapped them back until I get a new one. Water pump? Pfft!

I'm shocked they haven't mentioned the drive shaft U-joints. Those are clearly bad, when putting it in gear you hear the loud clunk. I'll do those but I'm sure since they have to drop the shaft they didn't say anything about it. Oh wait! Those U-joints have plastic seals instead of snap rings that you have to use a torch to melt in order to remove them and they pop right out. Next call will be. "Uh sir, you need to replace your drive shaft. LOL You watch, I WILL get that call before this is over! LMAO

fordman1
08-20-2018, 01:51 PM
I started leasing in 1986. Haven't bought a tire, battery, tune up or had a brake job since. Just an oil change every year and a half. I used to hate getting under those old cars and skinning my knuckles.

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to do that. My credit is in the tank and a car payment even on a lease isn't something that would fit into our budget at this time. Ol Besse still has a lot of years left on her, she's in excellent shape and runs perfect. I've always been good at preventative maintenance. I don't even know if the check engine light works because it's never been activated.

This problem is completely caused by poor craftsmanship, cheaping out on materials not maintanance. Brake lines should outlast any vehicle. These aren't even galvanized. Heck, the rubber hoses to the calipers aren't even dry rotted, pretty sad when rubber outlasts metal. If you google it, there are literally thousands of complaints about this particular issue but GM won't do a recall like they should. These cheapy lines create a severe safety risk. My quick reaction to downshifting and using the parking brake is the only reason I didn't go flying through the intersection to my death or someone else's. You'd think on a vehicle which cost $45k back in 2001 they could have been a little less frugal on something so important.

Timmyb
08-20-2018, 04:49 PM
I do all my own non-warranty repairs. I can rebuild almost any RWD transmission, engines, diffs, and I've never met a brake job I couldn't do. Funny thing is, I no longer do my own oil changes. Cheaper to get done by the kids than crawling around by myself.

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 04:57 PM
I do all my own non-warranty repairs. I can rebuild almost any RWD transmission, engines, diffs, and I've never met a brake job I couldn't do. Funny thing is, I no longer do my own oil changes. Cheaper to get done by the kids than crawling around by myself.

LOL I do oil changes myself too. I had my drain plug stripped out and filters cranked on with a wrench where I had to shove a huge screwdriver through them to get them off. Somehow they think filter wrenches are to remove and install them. BUZZZ! Thanks for playing. Lube the gasket fresh oil, twist on by hand then snug tight 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn absolute MAX and only by hand. Wrenches not only over tighten them but can crush the filter. I'm sure you already knew that Timmy.

boatman37
08-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Welllllll, let me tell you about my local Dodge dealer. It had 2 previous owners before the current one and I never had any issues when the others owned it. The current owner bought it (Napletons) and it has been a disaster since then. It is so bad now that you drive by in the summer and there are more empty bays in the garage than cars in there. You don't need appointments anymore for basic stuff because they are never that busy.

Let's see. 4 out of 5 oil changes they left the filter loose (3 different vehicles). They never reset the oil change alert thing. I took my just washed truck in for an oil change and they dripped oil down my fender and didn't even clean it off. I have permanent fingerprint marks above my one headlight that won't come off. Even had a different dealer try to get them off. Will need to be wet sanded and buffed to get them out. Not sure how they did that. This is on a 2013 Ram that was about 2 years old when it happened. Went there to buy tires for same truck because they had buy 2 get 2 free. Drove to work the next day and about rattled my teeth out. Called dealer and the asst' service manager said the mechanic said i had a bent rim. i knew this wasn't true but asked why they didn't call me if i had a bent rim? and also mentioned that it was fine before that. went back in the next day and talked to the service manager (who was off the day before). she asked the mechanic and he said he never mentioned anything about a bent rim. So they rebalance both rear tires and fixed that.
That was my 2013 Ram (except for the loose filters which were my Ram, wifes 2006 Commander and daughters 2006 Grand Cherokee)

So daughter takes her GC in for an alignment. She just had a 2" lift installed and needed the alignment. The dealer said they broke a few bolts off and would have to order parts because they couldn't get the broken bolts out. Meanwhile these bolts were out a week earlier when the lift was installed. So anyway they had it a week and the bill was over $500.

Step-son has a 2015 Dodge Dart he bought new from them. He had an engine issue so they replaced the engine with about 20,000 miles on it (under warranty). He got the car back with a cracked front bumper, the little plastic 'door' in front of the front tire to change the headlight was missing, there were wire looms not put back into place and even one that couldn't be put back because it had to go around the exhaust manifold so either the exhaust had to come off or the harness unplugged and re-routed. Then he took it in for an oil change and tire rotation. They stripped his locking lug nut on one wheel and ruined the locking lug socket and also scratched his wheel up all around the lug holes.

That's all I can remember but i quit going to them. The only reason we kept getting oil changes was cause they were doing buy 1 get 3 free so I got in the habit of checking the filters when I got home. 4 out of 5 were leaking and could be turned by hand about 1/2 turn. Step-son was stubborn and kept going there. told him to go to a different one but he said it was too much of an inconvenience but i think with this lug nut deal he is done there too.

J Anderson
08-20-2018, 08:11 PM
Back in the mid 80s, I took my car to the locally owned alignment shop for a front end alignment and was charged the going rate. A few weeks later, my dad took his ‘75 Dodge Monaco with about 50,000 miles in for an alignment and was told he needed to have the upper and lower ball joints as well as the tie rod ends to the tune of about $700. Dad took the car across town to a different shop. They replaced one tierod end and the car was fine.
P.s. the first shop had been sold the year before and was out of business within five years.

Earlier this year, my 2002 E250 work van was running rough so I made an appointment to take it to an independent garage. Unfortunately, that day the van ran fine. It had stored a code that a cylinder wasn’t firing but they could not figure out which one it was. They said to come back when it started to act up again. About a week later it did and they were able to find the cylinder that was misfiring and replace a bad coil. The next day, the check engine light was on but the van was running fine, so I drove in with out an appointment. I was thinking they had forgotten to clear the code and I hadn’t noticed. One of the techs came right out to the van, plugged his code reader in and saw the cde for a bad egr valve. Made an appointment to have them fix it. When they went to replace the valve they found the vacuum hose was cracked where they could not see it. They cut the line back, checked to make sure the old valve was working, and sent me on my way. The only thing I had to pay for was changing the coil. Not all car repair shops are crooks.

Phonetek
08-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Not all car repair shops are crooks.

I agree with that 100%. The mom and pop small independent shops you have a better chance of getting honest work. I had a guy who unfortunately isn't around anymore (passed away) that did great work at a fair price. He was NOT a parts changer, he fixed what was wrong and that's that. The small guys have to build a rep to stay alive. Whenever I brought a car in it was always something relatively straight forward and simple. If it was something that cost a thousand bucks it was a thousand bucks legit. Take the same car to a dealer it's triple and a parts list longer than my posts. Sadly I don't know any mom and pops out here in this area. It's a snooty community. Most of the people around here buy new cars every 5 years. Nothing but 2010 and newer on my block besides mine unless it's a classic show car.

I don't know why my father in law prefers dealers but we're doing what he said. Just because he wants to foot the bill I'm not going to them try to pull something like they did this morning. It's his money but I'm not going to let them bilk him that's for darn sure. $5300 bucks, they can bite me.

boatman37
08-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Had another incident back around 1988. Had a 1985 S10 Blazer I bought from them a few months earlier and it was under warranty. Engine had a miss. Took it over and dropped it off. They called later in the day and said to come and pick it up. I get there and ask what the problem was. They said they couldn't find anything wrong. I asked if they hooked it to their computers and he said no, the mechanic drove it around the block and sprayed water on the engine. Then tried to charge me $27...lol.

Same dealer a year earlier I ordered a brand new 1987 Camaro IROC Z from them with the 5.7 TPI (Corvette engine). It was the first year for the 350 in the IROC. I gave them a deposit around October 1986. They did tell me it would be awhile because they were building all the 5.0 cars first. I kept checking in and around February they said they still hadn't started building the 5.7's yet. Called another Chevy dealer and he had one on the lot and one on the way there. I got my deposit and went to the other dealer.

About 1998 I was buying a newer F250. Went to one dealer and they had a 1997. Talked to the sales manager and got some numbers. Went to a different dealer and looked at another one. Went back to the first dealer the next day and talked to the salesperson. Told them to knock another $500 off and they have a deal. She called the sales manager at home and he ok'd the deal. I signed papers and gave a deposit. I was headed to my bank the next morning to get the money and the salesperson called me and said 'we have a problem'. The manager didn't realize who I was or my trade in and when the salesperson told him he decided he couldn't do the extra $500. I reminded them that I had signed papers and gave a deposit and that my attorney would be happy to call them. She came back and said 'ok, come get your truck'. I told them to stick it and rip up my deposit check. I went to the 2nd dealer and bought the other truck. A few days later I got a card in the mail from them apologizing and a few days later got my check back in the mail.

I have bought several new cars in my life and have had some very good experiences too so they aren't all bad but these were my dealership horror stories.

Phonetek
08-21-2018, 03:19 PM
And there it is! I got the call!
"Mr. Phonetek, it appears your U-joints are bad and unfortunately they are non-serviceable so we need to install a new drive shaft and that's going to be an additional $1,250" LOL Did I call it or did I call it?

My response, "One more phone call insulting my intelligence, I'm coming in there signing a waver of insurance and fixing the truck myself."

Service guy "What do you mean?"

Me "I mean, that YES they ARE serviceable but you have to use the forbidden torch to remove and change the U-joints and it takes about 25 minutes to do and about $40. The torch melts the plastic that holds them in since they don't have snap rings hence releasing them. If you don't believe me then perhaps you need to have your mechanics sit in a room watching Youtube for training for a day, it certainly couldn't hurt. I'm sure there has to be a video on it somewhere."

Him "I wasn't aware of that"

Me "I'm sure you weren't, nor were the many people who payed for an entire drive shaft for nothing"

Him "So that's a no on the new drive shaft?"

Me SMH "That's correct, leave it alone I'll do them when it's home. Once again, just change the brake lines!" OMG These people, I swear. I can only wonder what's next.

got_a_300
08-21-2018, 03:56 PM
I can only wonder what's next.

It probably will be something like "Mr. Phonetek" you have a reverse wobbler shaft
that has came loose from the dillafrat connector that controls the dohenkie. LOL!!!

Phonetek
08-21-2018, 04:03 PM
It probably will be something like "Mr. Phonetek" you have a reverse wobbler shaft
that has came loose from the dillafrat connector that controls the dohenkie. LOL!!!

LOL It wouldn't shock me. Maybe they will tell me the tires are low because my hubcap gaskets are leaking?

That reminds me of this nice elderly lady that used to come to the tire shop I worked in after high school. She used to come in twice a year. She said "I'm here to have the winter air changed out of my tires to put in spring air" LOL We would pull her car in and put it on the rack for about 15 minutes check the pressure. Pull it back out "Okay, your all set, free of charge" She'd come back in fall to have us do the same only she said she wanted us to "Winterize her tires" LOL You gotta love it. It was certainly quicker than explaining to her that air is air.

boatman37
08-21-2018, 04:21 PM
OMG! WOW. unreal

Florida Bowler
08-21-2018, 04:24 PM
How long before they notice that your right rear blinker fluid reservoir is running low? That can lead to a driver's side window actuator failure, if it hasn't already, and we all know how expensive that can be to fix.

Timmyb
08-21-2018, 04:50 PM
How long before they notice that your right rear blinker fluid reservoir is running low? That can lead to a driver's side window actuator failure, if it hasn't already, and we all know how expensive that can be to fix.

Don't forget to have them replace your muffler bearings while they're under there....

Phonetek
08-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Got my truck back today. All I can say is that she stops when I hit the brakes now. Funny, they ended up only doing the brake lines imagine that. They didn't have to change the calipers, fuel lines, drive shaft and the other list of things they said they'd "Have to replace". They did change the bleeder screws on the calipers because the mechanic stripped them so badly. So $250 worth of brake lines and $4 worth of bleeder screws but $1800 in labor. They did a "complimentary" tire repair because I had a nail in it which was true. All and all I can't complain in the end it was a labor intensive job. I just don't think it's right that I had to babysit them so they just didn't change a bunch of parts willy nilly that didn't need to be replaced. $2,100 is a big difference from $5,300! But hey, they did detail it before I got it back too. Too bad it's raining today but I'm happy to have the ol girl back.

boatman37
08-24-2018, 07:04 PM
Well they must have found their torch!

Phonetek
08-25-2018, 03:10 AM
Funny how that works isn't it? LOL Don't worry, it means they will just really sock it to the next customer. They'll replace 3/4 of their vehicle. =)

Timmyb
08-25-2018, 10:18 AM
I took my Escape last week to my Ford dealer to have my oil changed (see previous comment--I don't change my own oil). The last time I was there, they told me I needed rear brakes and a left rear wheel bearing. The service writer was very confused on how new brakes got on the car when he didn't see that they had been done there. He then tried to explain to me how this was dangerous, and that Ford would not be responsible for anything that happened related to this (car is out of warranty). Should've seen the look on his face when I explained that if he had one more comment, they wouldn't even be doing my oil changes anymore. At least that shut him up....

Phonetek
09-11-2018, 12:38 AM
I didn't post about it sooner because I'm extremely angry about it. Last Thursday after getting off work after opening that day I went out to my truck to leave. It wanted to start but wouldn't stay running. I figured I'd leave it sit for a half hour and try again so I went back inside work. Tried again and I smelled this overpowering odor of gasoline. I look under the truck and gas is just gushing everywhere! I look and there is a massive puddle in the gravel under it. A full tank when I went to work that morning has now been spewed all over the parking lot. There's $65 bucks for nothing.

I pushed it out of the puddle, climbed underneath and it was coming from above the tank. I couldn't see up there but I felt the line going up and found that the fuel line was kinked and busted. I immediately called the dealer where it was fixed and they claim no responsibility and will do nothing but fix it at full price plus the tow. So bottom line is, I'm screwed. I have to fix it myself and in the parking lot at work. Somehow I have to drop the tank laying in the gravel and replace the line. It's in a place where I can't get away with just cutting out that section and clamping on a rubber hose. No other way around it. So, all that money and a week and a half later I'm left with a dead vehicle which is stuck at work! I HATE DEALERSHIPS! They are ****ing crooks!

So since wifey don't get home until 6:30pm I ended up staying at work the rest of the night until my league started. I was there from 8:30 am until 11pm, one long freaking day lemme tell ya. Now it's Monday night, there it still sits because when wife is work I have been home, when she's home I've been at work. So I haven't had any time to fix it. I knew I should have done it myself, I wouldn't be dealing with this crap right now that's for sure. Oh and another reason I pushed it to a different part of the parking lot. If someone would have flicked a butt near my truck that night, it would have been in orbit! Not what I need with liability only insurance on it.

fordman1
09-11-2018, 11:52 AM
You have been being the hydrant a lot lately. Maybe your luck will change soon. It might help if you didn't call your wife "wifey" that sounds a little condescending. This is not the time in our history to get caught looking bad by the feminists.

Phonetek
09-11-2018, 01:52 PM
You have been being the hydrant a lot lately. Maybe your luck will change soon. It might help if you didn't call your wife "wifey" that sounds a little condescending. This is not the time in our history to get caught looking bad by the feminists.

LOL Actually she likes "wifey". It was a Facebook thing about 9 years ago. Her and I had a couple of very rough marital years. Her marital status on FB became the always dreaded "It's Complicated" instead of married and even the rings came off her fingers. Eventually, she came around and we got things resolved, rings went back on and marital status was "Married" again. We did this disgustingly overly mushy loving post making everyone ill as we went back and forth. Even though were were making them sick, they were happy for us but said to "Get a room". In that post she referred to me as "hubby" and I called her "wifey" and since then it just stuck. In our case they are "terms of endearment." So it's not at all an insult or a chauvinistic thing, it's just a habit at this point to where if I type "wife" it just doesn't look right to me. On a related note, this October 9th we will be celebrating our official 19th year of marriage. They have truly been 12 of the happiest years of my life!

As far as my luck is concerned, yes these things seem to always happen in spurts. I'm fine for a while and then some higher power somewhere decides I've been just a little too happy for too long and decides to pee in my lemonade for a bit. On the upside, things can only get better from here and they will. I'm quite used to it. As they say, when life taints your lemonade, switch to Jack & Coke. =)

boatman37
09-11-2018, 02:08 PM
lol. I keep thinking of the old Hee Haw song 'if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all'. Now I'm showing my age. But anyway, went to a night at the races Saturday night and my step-son is president of the local FOP so he was running it. We had about 20 friends and family at our table. Seriously, no lie, I think /i was the only one at our table that didn't win a single thing. Not that I'm having bad luck, just no good luck. I could buy 99 of 100 tickets and not win.

Oh, and congrats on the upcoming anniversary. Our 25th is coming in October (again, showing my age....lol)

Florida Bowler
09-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Congratulations on the upcoming 19th anniversary! I would have been celebrating that in October as well, but she asked for a divorce a couple of years ago. Best thing that ever happened to me. I'm not one to say that marriage is bad (I'm engaged and will be married again in 2019), but that one was.

You just keep doing you. Your luck will turn soon. Especially with that Jack and Coke.

Stormed1
09-11-2018, 09:40 PM
You yuoung whipersnappers LOL Last month Debby and I celebrated 44 yrs of marriage.

On a similar note to your issues about 2 years ago I bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota st. Took it in for an oil change (private shop) and they told me it needed a water pump (leaking from weep hole, 1 ball joint and a diff overhaul ( i had asked them to check it as I smelled gear oil and it started making noise on the way home the day before). Everything it needed they showed me so I had them do the water pump and basll joint. They did not do rear ends so I had it towed to a shop that one of my former mechanics from when I was an asst service manager recomended. They called me with an estimate and asked me to stop by so they could show me why they needed to replace the ring and pinoion. He also sugested we rebuild the posi at the same time as the kit with clutches was only $20 more than the spider gears alone and there would be no additional labor asa they had to take it apart to do the gears anyway. When we picked it up the bill was $60 more than quoted but before I could ask he told me they went ahead and replaced the axle bearings while they were out. No labor just parts.

Fast forward 2 months. Now the truck starts overheating after drioving for a period of time. I took it back to where the water pump as installed and low and behold it now needs head gaskets (apparently a chronic problem on 4.7 v8's. Checking around no private shop wanted to do head gaskts , only reman moptors @ $6k. Called Dodge and they said $1400 for head gaskets. Took it in and I get the call. Needs 2 heads ,all the o2 sensors and the Cats $7k i did some research and found a remanufacturer in Michigan who would pick the truck up here in Chicago, put a reman engine w/100k warrenty and deliver t back to me for $4k Got a call saying it needed a lower radiator mount/crossmembe rand it would be $250 they emailed me pictures so i could see what they were talking about. I also had them put a new oil pan on the fresh motor as the one on the old motor was pretty rusted. They also eplaced a leaking metal bake line from the master to the junction $50 all told $4300.00. all it needs now is 1 o2 sensor. Truck runs great and gets good milage... Just goes to show not all plaes afre crooks

Phonetek
09-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Just goes to show not all plaes afre crooks

Cars are definitely a pain but an unfortunate necessary evil. I agree not all are crooks but surely a higher percentage of dealers are it seems. I did catch a break last night. One of my co-workers had her husband come to the bowling alley to crawl under to check it out, he wanted to see how bad it was. If it was a quick fix he'd have done it in the parking lot. As it turns out I was correct, the line broke above the tank so it has to be dropped. Of course that's not the good news.

Turns out she has some Triple A towing package where if she's with someone whose car breaks down she can have that car towed free of charge. She made one phone call, said she was with me and her car was at my house but we were broke down. LOL Next thing I know a tow truck came and scooped my truck up and towed it to my house. It didn't cost a penny. Before her husband left, he packed the back of my truck full of tools and everything I would need to get it done. All I have to do is get it down, get the parts and do it.

From what I can see I have to replace everything from the fuel pump on the tank to the filter under the drivers seat. It's not that bad of a job really. I should be able to do it in a couple days give or take. Getting it home for free was a big deal, it would have been minimum $175 for that tow. $175 is a bowling ball! Since the dealer had the tank out a couple weeks ago I don't expect to be busting rusty bolts or anything, it should come right out.

Ironic thing about this is, this lady who helped me was the last person I would have expected to do so. I get along great with everyone at work but out of everyone she was on the bottom of my list of my favorite people there. I always pegged her as kinda edgy with an attitude. I am right about that but after getting to know her while we waited outside for the tow I understand why. Under the facade she's actually a very nice woman. Another case of you can't judge a book by its cover. I'm truly grateful for her help and I'm glad I got to know her better.

boatman37
09-13-2018, 01:23 PM
Be sure to use the correct fuel lines. Fuel injected engines have much higher fuel pressure than carb'd engines.

Phonetek
09-13-2018, 03:42 PM
On this truck Boatman, it's a type of flex steel line until it connects to regular metal fuel line. I just got the tank down, guess what I found?? NOT A BAD FUEL LINE!! The fuel line isn't attached to the freakin fuel pump!! That dumbass dealer screwed up the connector on the end of the line where it connects to the fuel pump so the pressure shot the line off. WTH!! Man oh man am I BOILING right now! Okay so I'm happy that the line is alright but seriously? Well, the line may have to be replaced anyway, I don't know if the connector is separate but I'll be dammed if I'm paying for it, guess who is?! I have to cool down before I call them. All this aggravation and inconvenience for the past week over this?!?! The least of what they owe me is the part to fix it and $65 in gas but they better throw in a full wash and wax and oil change. Sloppy, sloppy incompetent work to say the least. Man am I angry!

boatman37
09-13-2018, 05:07 PM
On this truck Boatman, it's a type of flex steel line until it connects to regular metal fuel line. I just got the tank down, guess what I found?? NOT A BAD FUEL LINE!! The fuel line isn't attached to the freakin fuel pump!! That dumbass dealer screwed up the connector on the end of the line where it connects to the fuel pump so the pressure shot the line off. WTH!! Man oh man am I BOILING right now! Okay so I'm happy that the line is alright but seriously? Well, the line may have to be replaced anyway, I don't know if the connector is separate but I'll be dammed if I'm paying for it, guess who is?! I have to cool down before I call them. All this aggravation and inconvenience for the past week over this?!?! The least of what they owe me is the part to fix it and $65 in gas but they better throw in a full wash and wax and oil change. Sloppy, sloppy incompetent work to say the least. Man am I angry!

ugh. i'm with you there. i'd be fuming too. you sure you didn't go to the same dealer i had all the issues with? lol.

On another note, i just called the Dodge dealer today to get a quote on spark plug change in my 2013 Ram Hemi. it has 62,000 miles and still the original plugs. supposed to change them every 30,000...lol. My mileage dropped from about 16 in town to about 12 so figuring it has to be the plugs. also down on power a little. anyway, the hemi has 16 plugs and they are a real pain to change from what i hear. Quote was $320 parts and labor. But i certainly didn't call the same dealer I had the trouble with. This one is 15-20 miles away where the other one is 2 miles but worth the extra drive time.

Phonetek
09-16-2018, 03:32 PM
I was able to get the ol girl back on the road yesterday afternoon. Wow was it hard getting that tank back up by myself. I made sure while it was on the ground still to clean the fuel line connections, hook them up and start it to check for leaks. Not a drop! No hoses or lines were bad as I previously said. Then each step as I got the front of the tank up, started it and checked again and still no leaks. After I got it in place before I put the straps on I checked one more time, no leaks. Of course after it was secured checked one last time, no leaks.

I took photos of my findings before touching anything and I called the dealer. The guy I dealt with wasn't in on Saturday but I got a supervisor. I laid into him really good. I sent him the photos and told him sloppy shotty work like that was absolutely inexcusable and a disgrace. I asked him "Why do people take their vehicles to a dealer for repairs vs. a mom and pop shop?" He had no answer. I said "Because they expect the best top notch quality repairs!" My photo showed the connections weren't even cleaned before putting the line back on. I asked him "Is that top notch work?" I said "That is what you call someone charging the full hours according to the parts and time guide and rushing through a job to finish long before the stated time" He claims he will take my comments and photos to the higher up's Monday and they will do something for me. Funny thing is once he knew the problem he asked if I could have it towed to them on Monday so they could fix it. I laughed and said "You'e got to be fing kidding me! You seriously think I'm going to let you touch it again? LOL

Had I had it towed to them before I dropped the tank, I could bet my life that they would have found that fuel line was popped off of course. The phone call I would have gotten would have sounded like this. "Mr. Phonetek, we found the fuel leak and we have determined that all your fuel lines from the tank to the engine need to be replaced, and it will cost upwards of $1500. I could bet my life on it. There is no way they would have called me and said "Oh, the leak was a fuel line that came off because our mechanic didn't put it back on properly the last time it was here." NO WAY ON EARTH they would have said that. I'm sure they would have said the former not the ladder. I'm curious to hear what they will say tomorrow. I'm glad I got it back on the road at least. It was hell with one vehicle, especially for something like this.

boatman37
09-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Glad you got it fixed. My wife said one of her students told her the other day he was going on co-op so she asked where he would be working. Wait for it....a mechanic at the local Dodge dealer I had all the problems with. He is 16! No wonder they have so many problems