PDA

View Full Version : Sore knee

boatman37
08-25-2018, 12:17 AM
Well pre-bowled last night and about 1/2 way through the first game my slide knee started hurting. Still hurting today. Had a bad issue with hopping to keep my balance. Bought a cheap knee brace today so hopefully that will help but I really need to get this fixed. I'm throwing way too hard and off balance on my release. Can't seem to fix it. Tried slowing my approach and even almost come to a stop after my first step. What has me confused is most nights I can bowl 4 games and the knee is fine. Last night I threw about 4 frames before it started hurting.

BobbyGunz89
08-25-2018, 01:09 AM
I have a lot of knee problems as well. Usually starts to bother me more in the winter part of the season or when i tweak it at work. I rub some Bio-Freeze on it and I'm usually good to go right after.

boatman37
08-25-2018, 09:16 AM
I have a lot of knee problems as well. Usually starts to bother me more in the winter part of the season or when i tweak it at work. I rub some Bio-Freeze on it and I'm usually good to go right after.

Thanks for that tip.

chip82901
08-28-2018, 03:03 PM
I have tried neoprene type braces before (I tore my meniscus in HS). They help a bit. But what I have found to work even better is KT Tape. If you learn the proper way to apply it (there are tutorials on their website and youtube), it functions like a heavier duty brace, only with mobility. It does however get expensive as the proper way requires 3 pieces of the tape. I usually buy the jumbo pack on amazon for around $60 and it's 150 strips. Make sure to get the synthetic KT Tape as the cotton doesn't seem to stick well. If you bowl multiple nights a week, you can even shower with it on. I can usually get 3-4 days out of one application.

boatman37
08-28-2018, 03:23 PM
i just bought a P-Tex knee brace the other day. Wore it around the house the other day but will bowl with it for the first time tonight. also have this outback pain relief roll on that my mother bought that swears its the best thing since sliced bread so tried that too. and some ibuprofen and hopefully i'm good to go. now just hope the cut on my thumb holds up...lol

boatman37
08-28-2018, 10:20 PM
Knee brace definitely helped tonight.

GrumpyCatFace
08-31-2018, 01:49 AM
Might want to try a higher slide sole, too. I know the “microfiber S8” that came with my shoes sucked, and it was doing a real job on my knee.

boatman37
08-31-2018, 09:27 AM
Might want to try a higher slide sole, too. I know the “microfiber S8” that came with my shoes sucked, and it was doing a real job on my knee.

actually thought about that the other day. i have the cheaper Dexters (about $55)

GrumpyCatFace
08-31-2018, 10:37 AM
actually thought about that the other day. i have the cheaper Dexters (about $55)

I’ve got the Dexter Turbo IIs. The changeable sole makes all the difference.

I ordered an S10 sole and S9 heel with it, and haven’t looked back. My leg is much better now.

boatman37
08-31-2018, 11:46 AM
I’ve got the Dexter Turbo IIs. The changeable sole makes all the difference.

I ordered an S10 sole and S9 heel with it, and haven’t looked back. My leg is much better now.

might have to look at a shoe upgrade next. Thanks!

boatman37
09-04-2018, 11:01 PM
Seemed to be a little better tonight. Wore the knee brace again. Still hopped on most shots but worked on it and was better.

JerseyJim
09-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Try using a jumper's knee strap. It's similar to the golf elbow strap. You strap it just below the knee cap. It limits movement of the knee cap, which helps me avoid knee pain.

boatman37
09-10-2018, 10:49 AM
Thanks Jersey. I have seen those and my wife just got one for her elbow.

Eddy
09-12-2018, 10:19 PM
Thanks Jersey. I have seen those and my wife just got one for her elbow.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

boatman37
09-12-2018, 10:31 PM
49 but have alot of miles on me...lol.

Last night it was very humid but cool so the AC wasn't on and the approaches were very sticky. Tweaked my knee in warmups and it bothered me for a game or so but mentally it affected me all night. Just ordered new shoes today with interchangeable soles so hopefully that helps. Still hurting today and limping.

Eddy
09-12-2018, 10:56 PM
49 but have alot of miles on me...lol.

Last night it was very humid but cool so the AC wasn't on and the approaches were very sticky. Tweaked my knee in warmups and it bothered me for a game or so but mentally it affected me all night. Just ordered new shoes today with interchangeable soles so hopefully that helps. Still hurting today and limping.

I'm 55 and know about pain. I have a bad back and have had wrist issues lately. I believe the wrist will get better, (unless I do something stupid again) but the back problems will come and go as they see fit. Getting old sucks.

boatman37
09-13-2018, 09:26 PM
Got the new shoes today. Hopefully it helps. Already put the S10 sole on it.

JerseyJim
09-14-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm 63, and have years of playing basketball on asphalt courts. That and playing racquetball for years as well. I have strong legs, and lousy knees. Along with the knee strap. I rub Capzasin cream into my knees before bowling sometimes. Once you get past the burning sensation, the pain relief is incredible.

fordman1
09-14-2018, 03:47 PM
I used Capzasin on my wrist about 15 years ago. It was a little stronger than todays. You used to have to put in on 2-3 times a day for a few days to get the best results. Even after washing you hands don't rub your eyes!

boatman37
09-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Will keep that in mind. I hurt that same knee in football in high school and have always had a bit of a mental thing with it. My mother bought this stuff from Australia (can't remember what it's called but something like outback) but it has a roll on bottle. Used it 2 weeks ago and it didn't hurt that night but lanes weren't that sticky either.

Aslan
09-15-2018, 03:39 PM
I think knee pain is part of the game. Pros experience is as well. You're putting a tremendous amount of force on that one joint. Most bowlers will experience knee pain (opposite knee they bowl with) and elbow pain (bowling elbow) in some form or to some degree.

Good form helps with a great deal of the upper body issues such as back, elbow, and shoulder issues. Not saying those won't end up hurting...everyone is different...everyone has different injury history...but for those that are younger and have no previous shoulder, back, or elbow issues...I've found poor bowling form will often be the culprit. When my swing was BAD...when I first started...I had back pain and shoulder pain...because my back and shoulder were doing WAY too much work. When I "quieted my swing"...those areas have never hurt since.

Same thing with forearm pain...almost 100% of the time you get forearm pain...you're gripping the ball too hard.

I do have elbow pain...that tennis elbow strap has virtually eliminated it.

Knee pain is tougher:

- It depends on how tore up your knee already is. Mine took alot of abuse from baseball, football, and taekwondo...so it's already a liability.

- It also depends on your age...obviously we break down over time.

- It depends on how tall you are. Shorter bowlers are closer to the lane and can reach their release point without as much bending.

- It depends on how much you weigh. When I was 200-215...my knee was fine. Now I'm 225-235...and I can't bowl 2 full games before I start feeling the soreness.

The good news is...as you strengthen your core and butt muscles...and keep your form good (meaning your back will take some of the abuse away from your knee)...the knee pain will lessen. A physical therapist can give you exercises to do that will help strengthen your (butt area) so that muscles are helping more with the force and its not all on your knee joint.

It's a real problem for me, and many bowlers, because if you can't bend your knee...or you struggle bending your knee...you tend to not be nearly as competitive. Those guys in the PBA50 can still hit their mark and still know more about bowling than I'll ever forget...but they can't get the speed and they can't get as low as they used to...and there's very little you can do to compensate for that. And when me starts to hurt...it's almost a natural reaction to get down to where it hurts and then RISE UP as I'm releasing. Then I end up releasing on top of the ball...my revs are non-existent...I usually miss my mark right...or at the last minute over-compensate and tug it left.

NOTE: Aslan is NOT a doctor...but he may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

Eddy
09-15-2018, 09:25 PM
After reading these posts, I feel blessed to have had perfect knees my whole life. Not one problem, or even a little twinge of pain. And yes I did play sports for many years. But that being said, I'm not without issues. My left elbow is really bad right now. (thank God I'm a right handed bowler) and have back and right shoulder problems. Most people have something that bothers them.

mattmc82
09-21-2018, 02:07 AM
Is it the outside of the knee that hurts ? Good IT band stretches will help after the pain is present.

boatman37
09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Is it the outside of the knee that hurts ? Good IT band stretches will help after the pain is present.

Think it's more inside but have to see next time it hurts.

boatman37
09-25-2018, 10:28 PM
No aches or pains tonight. Put the S10 sole on and that was much better other than falling on the lane...lol.

GrumpyCatFace
09-25-2018, 10:59 PM
No aches or pains tonight. Put the S10 sole on and that was much better other than falling on the lane...lol.

Oh crap, you actually fell? Hope everything's ok...

The adjustment can be startling. The S8 has absolutely no slide, for me. The S10 feels like a bowling shoe should.

boatman37
09-25-2018, 11:50 PM
It is very slick but much better on my knee. I didn't have much trouble with it once I got used to it and had confidence in it but on that shot it was a 7 pin (lefty here) and I sort of pivoted on my slide foot and it slid right out from under me. Tried catching myself but was afraid I would foul so just sort of fell to my left. My knee barely touched the floor and I caught myself with my hand so it was a graceful fall...lol. My teammates and opponents got a laugh out of it once they knew I was ok.
But same thing here. The S8 doesn't slide at all for me and jams my knee but the S10 is a little too slick but nothing I can't deal with. I left the grippier heal on. But the 10 is much better than the 8 for me.

JasonNJ
09-26-2018, 09:27 AM
I think Bowl1820 recommended these in another post and I use this slide sole and love it. I think it's between the S8 and S10.

https://www.bowlingball.com/products/accessories/bowlingball.com/9564/original-linds-buck-skin-leather-replacement-slide-sole.html

boatman37
09-26-2018, 10:23 AM
I think Bowl1820 recommended these in another post and I use this slide sole and love it. I think it's between the S8 and S10.

https://www.bowlingball.com/products/accessories/bowlingball.com/9564/original-linds-buck-skin-leather-replacement-slide-sole.html

Will keep that in mind. I think I will get to like the 10 after a few weeka

boatman37
10-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Just to update...fell again last week wearing the 10 so switched back to the 8. This week changed my approach and it was much better. Realized my issue was my timing and balance. Think after a few weeks with my new approach it'll be much better.

JerseyJim
10-24-2018, 08:05 PM
I'm trying something different for my knees. I'm picking up a set of compression sleeves for my knees. I'm going to try to use them in practice in the next couple of days to see how they feel. I'm still going to use the Capzacin cream though.

boatman37
10-24-2018, 08:47 PM
I'm trying something different for my knees. I'm picking up a set of compression sleeves for my knees. I'm going to try to use them in practice in the next couple of days to see how they feel. I'm still going to use the Capzacin cream though.

I have been wearing one the last few weeks. It seems to help a little but not an end-all-be-all. My knee is a little sore today. I was much better last night and got through all 3 games pretty good. I moved back on the approach and took longer steps so I was a little lower at release and my shoulders weren't out in front of my feet. I was still rushing it a little and throwing too hard but if I get that under control I think my release will be much better and much easier on my knees.

JerseyJim
10-27-2018, 12:22 AM
I used a small knee brace on my right knee for bowling last Tuesday. It made a difference, I didn't have any pain during bowling. The only problem that I had is that it's a bit bulky. I wanted something a bit more low profile. I thought the compression sleeves would do the trick. I might even wear them at work. I'm on my feet constantly.