PDA

View Full Version : New way to bowl because of body issues

Hammer
09-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Our first league night was this past Saturday. I found out I couldn't do my normal slide to the foul line because my new right hip didn't like it and my right knee can't support my body weight because it might need replacing. So I had to just walk up to the foul line and put my left leg a little behind me and crouch down some. Then I would swing the ball three times and let it go. The first game was an 85. Once I got used to where to line up and throw my second game was 133. My third game was a 138. When I got a strike or a spare my league members near me would clap and cheer. I told them the problem I had and the reason I was bowling like I was. I didn't want to give up on bowling because I love it and I am in my 34th year on this league.

I asked my teammates if they are okay with me doing this. They said that this night was for setting handicaps so I will just be getting a higher handicap. Once I got used to my new technique it started to be fun to see what I would get on each shot. I picked up some pretty good spares doing this and had several strikes. Time will tell when I will have to get my right knee replaced. Getting old is rough for me these days but not rough enough to bail on bowling.

boatman37
09-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Good to hear. Whatever it takes. That's what handicaps are for. Keep it up and do what you need to!

Florida Bowler
09-19-2018, 09:18 AM
That's awesome! Do whatever it takes to stay on the lanes.

Phonetek
09-19-2018, 01:02 PM
It sounds a lot like a one step drill only with a little more ball speed from the extra swings. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably get some excellent timing out of it and a nice release. I certainly applaud your efforts, you're a hell of a human being for having the gusto that you do! You are an inspiration to say the least. All the best to you!

Hammer
09-19-2018, 08:24 PM
It sounds a lot like a one step drill only with a little more ball speed from the extra swings. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably get some excellent timing out of it and a nice release. I certainly applaud your efforts, you're a hell of a human being for having the gusto that you do! You are an inspiration to say the least. All the best to you!

Yeah, mine is a no step drill. My three swings gives me enough energy to get some good speed on the ball. The good thing about it is it let's me have a good release. I can better feel if my hand stays behind the ball and doesn't turn early. If anyone wants to better their release I would recommend training yourself this way. Once you figure out where to stand at the foul line you can bowl strikes and pick up spares once you figure out how your ball reacts. I am looking forward to the next league night.