PDA

View Full Version : Thumb

oltymer
12-03-2018, 04:28 PM
My thumb suffers after 1 or 2 games. I bought a thumb saver but realized its the top of my thumb that gets really sore. The thumb saver doesn't help that much as there is just a little nylon material covering the top. Any ideas on how to alleviate this prob. Thanks.

bowl1820
12-03-2018, 05:00 PM
My thumb suffers after 1 or 2 games. I bought a thumb saver but realized its the top of my thumb that gets really sore. The thumb saver doesn't help that much as there is just a little nylon material covering the top. Any ideas on how to alleviate this prob. Thanks.

First you start by having your fit checked, Depending on where the irritation is (Just what do you mean by top?) it could be a problem with Span (too long or short), pitches, the hole could be too big or you might need some bevel etc.

Take a look at this page:

Fitting tips
http://www.jayhawkbowling.com/Pro_s_Corner/Fitting_Tips/fitting.html

It has pictures of typical problem areas on the fingers and thumb and It can give you a idea of what might need to be corrected.

The use of a fitting tape could help, but doesn't correct the underlying problem.

J Anderson
12-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Without knowing exactly what you mean by “the top” of your thumb it’s hard to say what would help. My first guess would be that there is something wrong with the way the thumb hole is drilled.

vdubtx
12-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Maybe OP means "tip" or his thumb?

djp1080
12-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Oltymer, I'll guess that the top of your thumb is the non-pad side or where your knuckle is.
If that's the case, I'd suggest that you walk into your pro shop and ask the operator what kind of protective tape that he would recommend to cover your thumb. Usually they'll have Vise or Turbo tapes in stock. Vise's HADA tapes work well for covering the top of your thumb and are stretchy enough to cover the entire back of your thumb as needed.
Hope this helps...