PDA

View Full Version : 'Getting it' after long layoff

boatman37
12-12-2018, 06:46 PM
For those that had a long layoff how long did it take you to get back to your old average? I quit in 2002 with a 193 average. I have been back just about a year and have been around 175 since then. Hoping I can get back to the 190's but after a year with no improvement not sure I will. For those that had an extended layoff how long did it take you to get it back?

Florida Bowler
12-12-2018, 06:58 PM
I stopped years ago and just started again in May. I was at the point where I expected a 540 or better series. I have yet to get to 500, but that's just a matter of time. My current league average stands at 146. I do have a new ball, and I will be striking a lot more now. I'm hoping to have 500 series most weeks by the end of the season.

SRB57
12-12-2018, 07:20 PM
I quit the same time you did. I left averaging 216 and came back in 2015 but then had to have 2 hip replacements and after a full year plus back I am averaging 212 and still learning as the game has changed a lot with the THS. I am finding out getting to the pocket is not hard until they breakdown and then carry is another thing. Just got to keep plugging away. Steve

boatman37
12-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Yeah the game definitely changed. My last ball was urethane and I had never bowled on synthetic lanes before. I don't think that is my problem though. I have noticed in the last few weeks that I have been more consistent with my release and hitting my mark but I just can't get strikes consistently. If I had to guesstimate I'd say 2 of every 5 pocket hits are strikes. My spare shooting is erratic at best. One week I'm 3/4 on 7 pins then the next 0/4. Can't blame the ball or lanes on that.

One thing I find odd is that I seem to be getting more strikes lately and my spare shooting seems to have got better but I'm still hovering around 175 (actually about 182 the last 5 weeks but not a huge swing). I just would have thought that after a year (bowled in summer league too) I would have seen more improvement.

mc_runner
12-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Are you doing anything for practice or just able to get to league?

boatman37
12-13-2018, 12:58 PM
Are you doing anything for practice or just able to get to league?

Haven't made it out for practice much

mc_runner
12-13-2018, 01:46 PM
It is likely going to be a lot slower curve then. Eventually the muscle memory and repetition will help, but pinpointed/effective practice... particularly at certain pins to raise the spare %... would be great. If you have a couple things to work on and get the reps in on (like for me, I'm trying to fully transition to a cocked wrist, I won't be doing that during league) practice is great for building it up.

boatman37
12-13-2018, 04:19 PM
i got some practice days in back when i first came back but just been too busy to make it back out.

i tried cupping my wrist more and it hurt my thumb on the release so quit that.

i agree the muscle memory means alot. somebody asked me about my approach from 15 years ago and i said i didn't remember. i never had to think about it before but now i think about every step of my approach now. starting to come more naturally so it is getting better but my scores haven't changed much

Eddy
12-16-2018, 12:53 PM
I'm now about 1 1/2 seasons in after a 20 year layoff, and can honestly say I'm now a better bowler than I ever was before. (I was always around 188 back in the day) I'm in 2 leagues a week and over the last 6 weeks have been averaging about 210. Over the past year and a half, I have tried just about every release, style, and wrist brace, searching for answers. It took me a while, but I have realized I'm pretty much a "power stroker" for lack of a better description.

Last year I averaged 174, and so far I'm at 185 right now and climbing quickly. If it wasn't for such a poor start to this season the first 3 weeks, I'd be over 190 right now. But that will come as I keep banging out solid 600's. I fully expect to be around 205-210 next year.

boatman37
12-16-2018, 02:10 PM
I'm now about 1 1/2 seasons in after a 20 year layoff, and can honestly say I'm now a better bowler than I ever was before. (I was always around 188 back in the day) I'm in 2 leagues a week and over the last 6 weeks have been averaging about 210. Over the past year and a half, I have tried just about every release, style, and wrist brace, searching for answers. It took me a while, but I have realized I'm pretty much a "power stroker" for lack of a better description.

Last year I averaged 174, and so far I'm at 185 right now and climbing quickly. If it wasn't for such a poor start to this season the first 3 weeks, I'd be over 190 right now. But that will come as I keep banging out solid 600's. I fully expect to be around 205-210 next year.

Well that is a little encouraging. I'm only bowling 1 night a week and am around 175 now after about 11 months. Been closer to about 181ish the last 5 weeks and getting a little more confident recently.

tomcat
01-15-2019, 06:45 PM
I gone for 6 years, started up with older and newer balls. My ball speed is slower. 2 weeks of league so far, I try to practice 1 time a week. My muscle memory getting better.