PDA

View Full Version : PBA is back

fordman1
12-24-2018, 03:31 PM
Did anyone else see the PBA show on Fox yesterday the 23rd? Gimick show but not bad. Rob Stone was back with Randy and I think he did a pretty good job. Even Randy didn't have too many bad jokes or silly sayings. The regular shows will start Jan 7th I think they said. It will be on Fox Sports one.

boatman37
12-24-2018, 04:54 PM
I recorded it but haven't watched it yet

GrumpyCatFace
12-24-2018, 05:53 PM
I enjoyed it. I love the new stats display, but I found myself watching that instead of the actual bowling.

fordman1
12-24-2018, 06:29 PM
I was told that the ball speed we were shown was at release. Our scorer is at the pins and is much slower.

GrumpyCatFace
12-24-2018, 06:53 PM
I was told that the ball speed we were shown was at release. Our scorer is at the pins and is much slower.

That explains a lot lol. I was thinking I was incredibly slow.

RobLV1
12-24-2018, 11:39 PM
If you ever get the opportunity to see any of the pros in person, I think that you will find that the difference in ball speed is much more than can be explained by where the speed is measured. I've had the opportunity to bowl in tournaments with a couple of the pros on the show, and have seen virtually all of the others bowl in person, and their ball speed is beyond belief. If you want to get a pretty accurate measurement of your actual ball speed, there is an App available on the App Store called "Ball Speed". It is a manual App where you tap when the bowler releases the ball, and tap again when the ball reaches the pins. I checked it on several shots on the telecast, and it was accurate to within one mph with the monitor on the screen.

GrumpyCatFace
12-25-2018, 12:02 AM
Well, I’ve certainly never had a problem with getting enough ball speed. My ball simply doesn’t do anything when I’m over 16 mph or so lol

RobLV1
12-25-2018, 07:47 AM
Well, I’ve certainly never had a problem with getting enough ball speed. My ball simply doesn’t do anything when I’m over 16 mph or so lol

The most important thing is not ball speed. It is achieving a balance between ball speed and rev rate. Speed dominant players who have a lot of speed without sufficient rev rate have one set of problems, while rev dominant players who don't have the necessary speed to balance out their rev rates have another. From a coaching standpoint, getting speed dominant players to slow themselves down to achieve balance is much easier than teaching rev dominant players to get more ball speed.

bdpeters
12-25-2018, 09:48 AM
I caught the last part of the show and enjoyed it. I liked the stats. I will be looking forward to the next broadcast.

fordman1
12-25-2018, 11:48 AM
Rob that would be average speed. Speed at release and speed at the pins are different. Speed at the pins seems more important. Example would be throwing between 5th and 6th arrow going out to 5 board at a speed of 16 at release might be 13-14 at the pins. I am not doubting their speed on TV just would like to know how they get their readings. I like all the techy stuff. Speed does make for more strikes on off hits compared to slow speed will ever get.
Either way Merry Christmas to all.

boatman37
12-25-2018, 03:20 PM
I am definitely speed dominant and need to work on that. I don't think I used to have this much speed but can't remember. Just need to get my speed down and I think the added revs and increased angle at the pins will make up for the slower speed.

On a side note, used to watch Mark Roth bowl alot. He was a partner in the lanes a couple miles from my house when I ran the kids league around 2002. Because of a bad business deal he up and left town but it was cool watching him and getting tips from a pro.