PDA

View Full Version : Baking your balls?

six6guy
01-26-2019, 01:16 PM
Baking (or reconditioning) your balls removes absorbed lane oil and restores the factory performance of a ball. The more porous the surface of a given ball the more frequent this will be need be done. I gather it's as often as every 25 games for some balls. The pro shop here charges $25 per ball and their oven is a stainless unit that rotates the balls and can do 2 balls at a time. I see at Amazon a personal unit that doesn't rotate the ball, is $190, and looks to be made with ABS plastic... I guess the pro shop got their oven someplace and my guess is it would be significantly more than the plastic unit

So I'm curious with your experiences on this topic...

Do you have your balls recondition at the pro shop and if so how often? (every 25 games, every 50, once a month)
Do you own a recondition oven/device and if so can your describe or give make/model?
More frequent and shorter bake time _OR_ Less frequent and longer bake time?
Can you describe the performance difference of pre/post reconditioning and how long had that ball not been reconditioned?

I have a couple of new balls that need reconditioning periodically and I'm toying with getting a oven, what models do people have/avoid. My budget is somewhat limited but it's not completely sour.

Thanks in advance
Brad

tomcat
01-26-2019, 02:47 PM
hi pro shops tell me every 100 game recondition in oven. Some folks put ball in bucket hot water with dish soap, with taped holes. For 15 or 20 min.

djp1080
01-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Creating the difference website has some videos on how heat effects on bowling balls that is pretty interesting. See for yourself.
Probably one of the best devices for getting an oil soaked ball pretty close to new condition is a Detox machine.
You can make an inexpensive ball oven by making use of a food dehydrator by modifying it to handle the size of a bowling ball. Nesco has a couple of units that seem to fit the bill and they have a temperature control capability to more or less keep the ball from heating up too much (i.e., 125 degrees F or so).
If you were to invest in a good chamois and some ball cleaner, you'll be miles ahead of the game. Spending some money on some sanding pads might be in order as well.
If you're going to spend $190 on a ball oven, you might as well go another chunk of cash and get a ball spinner while you're at it.
Keep your gear clean and use ball cleaner after each session of bowling and you'll probably not have to bake your ball at all.
Hope this helps...

RobLV1
01-26-2019, 03:47 PM
As djp states, if you continually take care of your bowling balls, you probably will never have to bake them. Personally, I've never had a ball baked, though to be honest, when I was bowling a lot, I did try to put one out in the sun during the summer (I live in Vegas). I really didn't see any difference after baking. I will say that anyone who recommends baking a ball after fewer than 100 games is either not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or has an ulterior motive (PSO?).

fordman1
01-26-2019, 04:26 PM
I have soaked my balls many times. One time I had an emergence and had to leave. My red and blue swirl colored ball sat over night and turned pink and sky blue.
Thread title made me chuckle.

J Anderson
01-26-2019, 08:52 PM
As djp states, if you continually take care of your bowling balls, you probably will never have to bake them. Personally, I've never had a ball baked, though to be honest, when I was bowling a lot, I did try to put one out in the sun during the summer (I live in Vegas). I really didn't see any difference after baking. I will say that anyone who recommends baking a ball after fewer than 100 games is either not the sharpest knife in the drawer, or has an ulterior motive (PSO?).

When I used to drive from Connecticut out to Long Island once every summer to bowl with my friend Jeff, by the time I got to the bowling center every reactive ball in the bag would have a sheen of oil on the surface. Of course, while I’m very good about wiping balls between shots, I’m terrible about cleaning them before leaving the alley.

Timmyb
01-26-2019, 11:13 PM
That $180 ball oven that you see is nothing more than a Nesco dehydrator with 4 extra rings. Built my own for about $100.

Did later add a probe thermometer just to see if the temp I set it at was accurate. It was not. Ran about 10° hotter than what I set it at, so be careful.

got_a_300
01-27-2019, 06:02 PM
Yep I also built me a ball oven out of a Nesco dehydrator with the 4 extra rings
and a ball cup in the bottom to hold the ball in place while baking it. I do not
really use it all that much myself as I try to keep all of my equipment cleaned
with some ball cleaner and a pad after league is done.

I mainly use it to de-oil other peoples bowling balls for a very small charge not
anything even close to what a PSO would charge to do the same thing I don't
believe in over charging people like a shop would. I also refinish bowling balls
on my ball spinner for myself and others as well for a very, very cheap price
the PSO wants to charge them $30 to bake a ball and around $40 to refinish
a ball.

I usually charge them somewhere around $5 to bake it and $5 to refinish it.

boatman37
01-27-2019, 08:24 PM
I threw one of mine in the oven once on the lowest setting for a few minutes and it came out soaked in oil. Won't do it again but just wanted to see. A teammate said he left his in his car one day while at work in the middle of summer and when he got to the center it was soaked with oil. That same guy said every once in awhile he will set his ball in front of a little electric heater in his house.

JasonNJ
01-28-2019, 12:30 AM
I had an older Ebonite Pursuit-S that I baked once and I got a good amount of oil out of it but recently I've been using Clean and Dull and rarely get any oil coming out of the bowling ball now so I rarely bake them.

If you do bake bowling balls, you have to make sure you stay under 135 or to be safe around 125, because the heat can damage the material in the ball.

Timmyb
01-28-2019, 05:17 PM
If you do bake bowling balls, you have to make sure you stay under 135 or to be safe around 125, because the heat can damage the material in the ball.

Exactly why I bought the temp probe. It was just a little cheap-*** battery powered grilling thermometer with an extended cord so I could hang the gage up to see it. My rig will hold 125 all day, and that's as high as I'll let it go.

bowl1820
01-28-2019, 07:38 PM
Baking (or reconditioning) your balls removes absorbed lane oil and restores the factory performance of a ball. The more porous the surface of a given ball the more frequent this will be need be done. I gather it's as often as every 25 games for some balls. The pro shop here charges $25 per ball and their oven is a stainless unit that rotates the balls and can do 2 balls at a time. I see at Amazon a personal unit that doesn't rotate the ball, is $190, and looks to be made with ABS plastic... I guess the pro shop got their oven someplace and my guess is it would be significantly more than the plastic unit

So I'm curious with your experiences on this topic...

Do you have your balls recondition at the pro shop and if so how often? (every 25 games, every 50, once a month)
Do you own a recondition oven/device and if so can your describe or give make/model?
More frequent and shorter bake time _OR_ Less frequent and longer bake time?
Can you describe the performance difference of pre/post reconditioning and how long had that ball not been reconditioned?

I have a couple of new balls that need reconditioning periodically and I'm toying with getting a oven, what models do people have/avoid. My budget is somewhat limited but it's not completely sour.

Thanks in advance
Brad

In regard to The Dehydrator/Rice cooker type ball deoilers like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4182XENYN7L.jpg

While I don't have one I made my own years ago, It's based on a old Magic Chef dehydrator and a bucket. The Nu-ball and innovated ones are well reviewed I haven't seen any reviews that said anything particularly bad about them. If you do a do forum search there are several threads about them, most have considered them worth the money.

diy ones are popular also.

As for de-oiling a ball, If you religiously clean your equipment you can almost eliminate the need to de-oil a ball. But A lot depends on the conditions you bowl on the most and coverstock used, so the number of games can vary.

Stormed1
01-28-2019, 10:06 PM
I have the Inovative ob\ne and it works great. I charge pople $10 to de-oil and refresh the surface. It paid for itself in less than 6 months

got_a_300
01-29-2019, 06:18 PM
I have the Inovative ob\ne and it works great. I charge pople $10 to de-oil and refresh the surface. It paid for itself in less than 6 months

Hmmm maybe I'm under charging people when doing it for $5 for each
thing maybe it's time to try going for myself a raise. LOL!!!!

JasonNJ
01-29-2019, 09:30 PM
Hmmm maybe I'm under charging people when doing it for $5 for each
thing maybe it's time to try going for myself a raise. LOL!!!!

Hmm....maybe I should offer people a de-oiling and resurfacing service myself. I've never even thought about it. =P

Stormed1
01-30-2019, 03:14 AM
i also offer it for $5 if I'm plugging and re-drilling a ball for them

mx1alex
01-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Last time I try that! I have one of those EdenPURE heaters. Where the air comes out it's around 110 degrees. I put my Brunswick Cutting Edge about a foot from where the air comes out and left it there for 4 hours or so. Went to clean it. Didn't really see much difference from when I normally clean it. Then I put my Storm MatchUp in front of it and came back to this.... bummer.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_atakZvvkxvt77iPrNeXkotQVa8mKQj2W6vEi-0qkgHXfbWGbiAz2aGwl9mRd2eosjbkzlSkdozc-NPY2CpiQ0J6fydF20YkCEDHl6jkFeNyKYGp1Whuj1jxeMUOGq4 v6gPSLWvIzCgZZtqmZIqE8w3zhNSyqZz1cgn-ZXfW7ErTzfARDdpq4pSiWRKddERWA3uIhGgvN0oQLIYlIiA3gX biafDK2Y-aMHR4XqkxLXENIVAfnICOZFyGHnzWWSuL-K-6xlzCRThyUdOzUyrd1pqa3IxH0hu2akf80e8HVWsBNm4wCk3NP q5qpZQA-RcqTQhXvAUhaZluzAkSnZsKMVtAul2VQeK4WVmWEwz4FHchbiz RtsFps8YpLuSTHwx5LZZZ8dqzJeYFiExl9k_9B3Z9SU8JBoRdD L8Av6TKTejQFWDRVOYE7tAG0W20sVF3Z8UKuw7I2U_shAjxKh3 5Nen3BQQ74mLd3esKKXHXIOd1GW8GSkxCQaXueLs9b_2CqJssB 5YSbA-Vxlg2I6hQO7cuV0lbWcWqiV7S3XGDJ1c_N36LnV_9MpniyLNOo 1az8bQpUFyRQ6OodMh2kTOQcJzM1_mQozZOWm2WQpIXmh9b087 yQcjCFn13WQbHo8-ONOMvyvK0Hvl2U5mi3iZLno19QQ=w704-h938-no

boatman37
01-30-2019, 09:11 AM
That sucks. That ball looks just like the Storm Sync I bought off a fellow league member. I never baked it. Can't say whether he ever had but I had used the ball a few times then set it on a chair in my office. A few weeks later it looked like that.

JerseyJim
02-04-2019, 03:19 PM
I have this routine of cleaning my balls before and after a set. I also own a "Polish your ball" kit, and refresh the surface every month or so. I've seen that video from Creating the Difference as well. When you bake a ball, you are also removing some of the plasticizers (sp?) from the ball. They say that the ball has a better chance of cracking. The only ball that I had rejuvenated eventually cracked. It was a Storm Street Rod.

boatman37
02-04-2019, 03:26 PM
I clean mine after each night and have CTD pads but only use those every 30 or so games. Looking to buy a ball spinner soon so hoping to keep mine in top shape after that. Happy with the 4 balls in my bag now and no plans of buying anymore anytime soon.