PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Glove Restrictions

grumpter
02-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Are there any restrictions to what type of glove you can wear on your throwing hand? I checked the USBC site but couldn't find anything. The only reason I am asking is I may need to go to a two handed, all fingers out, throw while waiting for my finger injury to recover. If I get desperate enough, and it is legal, I may try a glove like receivers use in football. Hopefully tonight goes well and I come up with a way to bowl somewhat consistent without a glove but just in case...

ALazySavage
02-12-2019, 04:33 PM
I don't believe there are any restrictions, like you I couldn't find anything online against it. With that being said, something interesting I thought of is the PBA has so many restrictions on equipment you can use based around the company paying the fee to be "certified" - not limited to certain shirts and bowling shoes being banned...so when Weber throws using a Footjoy golf glove shouldn't that be banned? I'm pretty sure they are not paying the annual fee for one bowler to use it. Guess that is a long winded way to say I don't think the glove will be an issue.

got_a_300
02-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Back in the day I used to do like PDW and used a golf glove
with the thumb cut out, as far as I know there is no USBC
restrictions on using any kind of glove none that I can think
of anyway.

J Anderson
02-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Are there any restrictions to what type of glove you can wear on your throwing hand? I checked the USBC site but couldn't find anything. The only reason I am asking is I may need to go to a two handed, all fingers out, throw while waiting for my finger injury to recover. If I get desperate enough, and it is legal, I may try a glove like receivers use in football. Hopefully tonight goes well and I come up with a way to bowl somewhat consistent without a glove but just in case...

August of 2020 a rule goes into effect banning weight holes and requiring the bowler to use all the gripping holes drilled in the ball on each and every shot. So if you deliver your first ball with out using your thumb, but like to use it to shoot spares you will need two different balls, one with a thumb hole and one without.
Your no fingers in the ball delivery would require an undrilled ball or a house ball since house balls are exempt from the new rule.

grumpter
02-12-2019, 05:36 PM
Well the weather is not cooperating so no practice tonight which is the same as last night. That stinks.

I have plenty of golf gloves around as I buy them a dozen at a time but I am thinking something with a little more grip. I had previously read the 2020 rule about using all holes on every throw but this is purely a stop gap measure to get through until my finger heals and I can back to a 2 finger plus thumb grip. If it persists I may look into a 3 finger plus thumb grip to see if that offers any relief.