PDA

View Full Version : Do you know your individual game average?

RobLV1
03-14-2019, 11:06 PM
With many bowling leagues utilizing LeagueSecretary.com, it is very easy to find out your individual game average. Do you know what your individual game average is, and can you figure out why you have that particular variation in scores?

classygranny
03-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Hadn't looked this year

My morning league is 157, 162, 160
Afternoon league doesn't post and this yr I haven't tracked
My evening league is 156, 157, 164

Tells me I'm still struggling since coming back after my elbow surgery - consistently struggling. And that's exactly what it feels like each session.

Good thing is....maybe I'm not missing the transition as much as I thought I might be?

boatman37
03-15-2019, 12:17 AM
Our league isn't listed on that site but I have a spreadsheet that I keep so I know mine. They are all pretty close actually.

Game 1: 180.36

Game 2: 179.24

Game 3: 178.16

Lately my 3rd game has been quite a bit lower though.

mc_runner
03-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Games 1 and 2 are both significantly higher than game 3 in both my leagues this year (225 vs 207). I run into transition and burnt up lane conditions and sometimes have issues making the right adjustment. Trick is getting ahead of it vs. reacting to it.

vdubtx
03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Very interesting topic Rob. :cool:
I have looked at these stats before on occasion.

Tuesday overall average 222
217-228-221
I will have to do some more analysis here, game 1 is certainly the problem, just not sure what it is.

Wednesday overall average 223
225-225-221
Overall consistent here, game 3 could use some help.

Thursday overall average 226
234-229-222-217
Being a late shift league and not on fresh conditions, this would be the explanation for drop off in scoring each game. But, not using that as an excuse as I need to get better when lanes really transition quickly. Have been working on this and my game 4 shows the work. Back in January my game 4 average was at 211.

J Anderson
03-15-2019, 01:04 PM
Sadly, there are only two leagues from my local center uploading to League Secretary this season. I was able to look up my individual game averages from a league I bowled in last season that folded this fall.
I had forgotten that I had switched to bowling Lefty for the last nine weeks due to a pinched nerve.

First 25 weeks (right handed): 179, 184, 186
Last 9 weeks (left handed): 193, 190, 179

GrumpyCatFace
03-16-2019, 01:08 PM
PinPal tracks mine for me.

Aslan
03-16-2019, 01:52 PM
With many bowling leagues utilizing LeagueSecretary.com, it is very easy to find out your individual game average. Do you know what your individual game average is, and can you figure out why you have that particular variation in scores?

I've looked at this quite a bit this season as I have a noticeable issue in Game 1: 164-185-185

Do I know what it means?

Well, yes and no.

Yes...it tells me I'm a 185 average bowler at this house...and that I'm making the right adjustments as the lanes transition.

But, "no" in terms of why that first game is such a struggle for me.

It 'could' be the arsenal selection. This is the first arsenal that I didn't get help from a coach in putting together. It's not 'ideal'...it's essentially the last 3 balls I had in 16lbs. The first ball out of the bag is a ball I would usually use as my skid/flip #3...not my 'first' ball. But...since the Reax Pearl (my previous 1st ball) cracked shortly after I switched arsenals...I can't really experiment much with this theory.

To make this theory 'worse'...my ball spinner has been out of commission nearly all season...so I can't make slight adjustments to the surfaces of the balls to try and compensate for the non-ideal ball selection.

It 'could' be that I am throwing too hard or trying too much in Game 1...not relaxed, not tired yet...and that is keeping my ball from an ideal ball motion. Then, as I tire out...relax a bit...things fall back into place. The only problem with this theory is I've tried to bowl a couple games prior to league, to tire myself out and relax...and all three times my 1st game was horrible.

I think for mid-level and higher level bowlers...looking at these kind of statistics are crucial to improvement. If you see an obvious trend...like what I'm seeing...it's probably not just coincidence and there is probably something going on. I see a LOT of mid/higher level bowlers that have obvious issues...usually in the final game...because they don't know how to adjust to transition. But....since most of them don't really utilize statistics at all...they just struggle. Our anchor left after the first two games Thursday night because he was struggling so bad. He blames the center and the way they oil...but it's pretty clear that the problem is he throws a high rev, significant axis tilt, at about 8.5-12.5mph. He doesn't watch the ball go through pins...and he doesn't understand what certain leaves 'mean' and how to adjust off those leaves.

RobLV1
03-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Aslan: Usually a low first game average is a result of going in with a preconceived line that you are going to play come hell or high water. Add to that a preconceived idea of what ball you are going to use, and you have a recipe for first game disaster! I know you love to plan things, but if you can learn to accept the fact that the lanes tell you how they want to be played, I think that you will see a massive leap forward in terms of your average every game.

boatman37
03-16-2019, 07:13 PM
So what if all 3 games are almost the same but all suck...lol? Guess that means I adjust pretty well I'm just not that good....lol

bowl1820
03-16-2019, 07:31 PM
Typically in the past my 2nd game was the lowest and the 3rd game the highest.

This season my first and second games are basically even and the third is still highest.

GameAverage

classygranny
03-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Lower first game averages could be related to not being fully warmed up. With only 10 minutes of practice and slow resetting machines we at best usually only get about 4 frames of practice. If I didn't stretch and warm up prior, my body would be in big trouble trying to compete in the first game.

RobLV1
03-16-2019, 09:44 PM
I first posted this after seeing my own league scores. I was surprised to find that my first game was, by far, my best: 201-187-188. When I really started to examine the individual scores, I found a correlation between a change that I had made about three weeks ago and a totally different average pattern: 203-190-206. I made the change after realizing that once the lanes went South, I could usually come back to some degree by making a large move left: on average 5:3. After realizing this, I started playing much deeper with a more aggressive ball at the beginning of the set. Once the transition happens, I find that I have a much better shot in the third game thanks to all of the bowlers who never leave the track. Overall, my average is improving nearly every week. This is fun!

Aslan
03-17-2019, 08:17 PM
Aslan: Usually a low first game average is a result of going in with a preconceived line that you are going to play come hell or high water. Add to that a preconceived idea of what ball you are going to use, and you have a recipe for first game disaster! I know you love to plan things, but if you can learn to accept the fact that the lanes tell you how they want to be played, I think that you will see a massive leap forward in terms of your average every game.

You and I have had versions of this discussion before. I don't disagree with your theory...but in a 5-man men's league with 15 minutes of practice...I'm LUCKY if I get two shots on each side of the pair. Assuming I can throw "good" shots in those 4 shots...you're essentially advocating a bowler try to decide on 3 lines and 4 balls (12 variables not counting speed, approach, and release variations). I can't try out more than 4 variables in practice...and that assumes I want to assume each lane plays the same as the other on the pair...otherwise we're talking 24 variables.

Not saying you're incorrect...and I'd love to have the Pro's practice time of an hour or so the day before to work with their ball rep on all the possible ways they might play the lanes the next day...but that ain't Thursday Men's League reality.

Back when I was on 4-person mixed teams...where it wasn't as serious and 1/4 to 1/2 the bowlers didn't even throw a ball in practice because they were more concerned with drink orders...I at least had enough warm-up shots to decide between a couple balls...but not anymore.

mc_runner
03-17-2019, 10:45 PM
I have 10 minutes of practice on a 5 man team.

My general routine is...
stretch out a bit, swing the ball, etc (pre practice/shot)
shot 1 - warm up - benchmark ball. Something that I trust will tell me how the lane is playing
shot 2 - first "real" shot on my preferred line with benchmark.
shot 3 - adjust if shot 2 was bad, look at reaction/pin action/ball path
shot 4 - ball up/down as necessary. shots 2 and 3 generally will give me a good read on what the lanes are doing 95% of the time so this is more of a confirmation, most of the time.
shot 5 - 10 pin practice spare ball (optional)
shot 6 (if time) - act like it's game and throw whatever ball I'll be using on my beginning line, based on what I saw in shots 2-4.

Amyers
03-18-2019, 09:30 AM
You and I have had versions of this discussion before. I don't disagree with your theory...but in a 5-man men's league with 15 minutes of practice...I'm LUCKY if I get two shots on each side of the pair. Assuming I can throw "good" shots in those 4 shots...you're essentially advocating a bowler try to decide on 3 lines and 4 balls (12 variables not counting speed, approach, and release variations). I can't try out more than 4 variables in practice...and that assumes I want to assume each lane plays the same as the other on the pair...otherwise we're talking 24 variables.

Not saying you're incorrect...and I'd love to have the Pro's practice time of an hour or so the day before to work with their ball rep on all the possible ways they might play the lanes the next day...but that ain't Thursday Men's League reality.

Back when I was on 4-person mixed teams...where it wasn't as serious and 1/4 to 1/2 the bowlers didn't even throw a ball in practice because they were more concerned with drink orders...I at least had enough warm-up shots to decide between a couple balls...but not anymore.

I get what both of you are saying with this Rob and Aslan. Going in with a preconceived notion of how and where your going to play does lead to disaster as Rob says but I agree with Aslan too, Unfortunately my first two shots are wasted basically warm up and yes I've tried beforehand stretching can't say it helps me much. So you really only have 1-2 shots on each lane during warmups that I put much stock in. Do you change balls or adjust your position off of that? I've tried both but am yet to find a consistent answer to that question.

boatman37
03-18-2019, 11:33 AM
My first couple of practice shots I try for the pocket to get a feel for everything then I use my first ball for the 7 pin then my 2nd ball for the pocket. I found that if my plan is to target the pocket on my first ball then the 7 on my 2nd ball I usually get a strike so no chance at the 7....lol. I don't do this on every shot in warmups but try it at least twice

vdubtx
03-18-2019, 11:49 AM

2 shots per side with 15 minutes?? That is crazy. We only get 10 minutes and with 5 man teams, I can easily get 3-4 on each side. Takes a few to just get loosened up a bit.

SpinBowler300
03-18-2019, 12:25 PM
I have my own program that I wrote many years ago that calculates my bowling average after every league session. I added the ability to know my per game average when I converted it to Visual Basic. it can be quite an eye opener when you look at it.

Amyers
03-18-2019, 12:57 PM
I think he's saying his first couple of shots are just to get the blood moving lol. At least I know it's that way for me. Our practice time is only 10 minutes though. With some of the older folks taking forever to throw a ball. once you throw one or two to warm up your really luck to get a shot on each side to determine your line.

RobLV1
03-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Aslan: You think it's all about you. It's not! Regardless of how few shots you throw in practice, make sure that you watch where every other bowler on the pair is playing. Once you see that, you can pick your line, and let your chosen line dictate the ball that you start with.

grumpter
03-22-2019, 12:08 PM
I have access to my league average through League Secretary but that doesn't really tell me much. It would be much more useful if it had shot by shot data.

Outside of league I use 'My Bowling Pro' app to track every shot. The details lead me to believe my variance is mostly due to making/missing spares and/or stringing together strikes. The app gives me a list of every leave and the conversion percent. So at the end of my practice sessions I am working on that 10-pin leave as it is the leave that needs the most work.

Aslan
03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
2 shots per side with 15 minutes?? That is crazy. We only get 10 minutes and with 5 man teams, I can easily get 3-4 on each side. Takes a few to just get loosened up a bit.

I feel like in a previous 5-person league...where most (but not all) of the bowlers warmed up...we got more shots in because each bowler got one shot at a full rack and then it reset to a full rack to the next bowler. In THIS league, if you strike on the first shot, you go to the back of the line...but if you leave a spare, you shoot at the spare. So, depending on how lined up the rest of the bowlers are...kinda determines how many warm-up shots you end up with.

Last night I think I got 7 shots. One was a strike on the first ball. The other 3 times I made a bad shot and followed it up with a good shot (both on the same strike line). My line seemed to be working...based on the 4 "good" shots (of 7). But I certainly didn't have another 72 shots to try my other 3 strike balls on a few different lines...with a couple different hand positions. And I disagree (for the most part) with Rob on what you can get watching other bolwers. Reasoning:

1: You have to find someone with a similar shot (line).
2: You have to find someone with a similar speed.
3. You have to find someone with a similar ball.

I bowled against Tom Hess last night. He stood 10 boards left of me, with more speed, and whatever the latest ball on the market is. If I tried that line...I'd throw my ball in the gutter at about the midway point on the lane.

I DO agree with Rob that it is useful to gain knowledge from other bowlers...especially given the lack of practice time...but it's not easy finding someone who throws similar enough to you that you can learn much from their shot. I'm fortunate that I have a guy on my team that throws "similar" to me. He's older, a little slower speed...and a more powerful ball...but we have similar lines and releases...so I can usually watch what he's doing and that helps a little. And I did well at a tournament once by watching the squad before me...looking for that guy that bowled most like me (I even used my timer on my phone to find someone with a similar speed)...and I adjusted my initial line to where he was at...and it helped.

RobLV1
03-22-2019, 05:27 PM
Aslan: You are watching the wrong part of the lane. If Tom Hess was 10 boards left of you, where was his ball at the breakpoint. See that, and figure out how you can get there with your style. Once you see the breakpoint, everything else is easy!