PDA

View Full Version : Sidearm Bowling Technique (the best)

topbowlveryverygood
03-29-2019, 05:49 PM
Hello friends, I have very very good bowling technique for you all today. First, you pick up the ball, ok? Then, second, you swing your arm to the side. Very very important that it goes to the side. If your arm moves down during your motion it is no sidearm, yes? Third, you must flick your wrist as hard as you can with your arm completely sideways--which is very very important, by the way--and send the ball flying down the lane at the pins, yes? It is very very easy to exceed 25 mph with this technique and done correctly knocks down all those pesky pins. Thank you for listening to my tutorial on top 2019 technique, and I hope you all have a very very good day.

vdubtx
03-29-2019, 05:59 PM
Video of you doing this "technique" or it didn't happen. LOL!!

Wishing you a very very good day too sir.

boatman37
03-29-2019, 06:24 PM
Sounds like Kent Tekulve took up bowling...lol

Timmyb
03-29-2019, 06:40 PM
Sounds like Kent Tekulve took up bowling...lol

Sounds more like the 2 handed guy has a new handle.....

JasonNJ
03-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Sounds more like the 2 handed guy has a new handle.....

Can't be the 2 handed guy. This guy has much better grammar. =P

topbowlveryverygood
03-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Hello, my friends. I appreciate all of your comments on my top bowling technique. I assure you, it works 100% and is very very effective. I post a video tutorial tonight walking through the steps so that you can learn this best strategy. Note that I have a bit of wrist injury—completely unrelated. So maybe only 20-25 instead of 25+. Cheers, friends.

topbowlveryverygood
03-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Thank you, friend. I do not know who the “2 handed guy is” but I appreciate your comment. We all have two hands, no?

bowl1820
03-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Thank you, friend. I do not know who the “2 handed guy is” but I appreciate your comment. We all have two hands, no?

The 2-handed guy was a user trolling this board with nonsensical posts of ridiculous bowling claims etc. Which your post has the appearance of being and I'm going to stop it right here.

I would suggest you not going down that same road.

Thread locked

bowl1820
03-29-2019, 11:37 PM
topbowlveryverygood has asked to have his thread reopened, he says he going to post a video of his technique.

Okay I'll give him a chance.

okay topbowlveryverygood you got your chance.

topbowlveryverygood
03-30-2019, 12:03 AM
The footage of my groundbreaking technique will be posted in this very thread on Sunday night. As said previously, expect only 20-25 speed because of my lingering unrelated wrist injury. Also, the bowling alley doesn’t display any speeds above 23 mph and stops showing your speeds after. I will try to take footage before I am warmed up and throwing harder.

Timmyb
03-30-2019, 02:24 PM
I cannot wait.....

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 05:07 PM
Hello, my very very good friends. I am posting here to tell you that I have captured footage on my telephone. I will try to figure out how to move it to here, yes? Unfortunately, I did not capture speed in the video because the display stopped showing my speeds--however, going off of averages it should be 22-23 mph, despite my wrist. I also need to figure out how to blur out my head... if any of you know how to do these things, please let me know.

J Anderson
03-31-2019, 05:25 PM
Hello, my very very good friends. I am posting here to tell you that I have captured footage on my telephone. I will try to figure out how to move it to here, yes? Unfortunately, I did not capture speed in the video because the display stopped showing my speeds--however, going off of averages it should be 22-23 mph, despite my wrist. I also need to figure out how to blur out my head... if any of you know how to do these things, please let me know.

If you go to the FAQ page and click on the Board FAQ you should be able to find an explanation of how to post a video file. From what I’ve read it is actually better to post the video to a sharing service and put a link to the video in your post.

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 06:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGQVLN3ckJw

Behold. I come to you all today with the next evolution of bowling. A few notes:

-You will notice that my release is only at about a 40 degree angle relative to the ground, rather than a ~90 degree angle expected of a sidearm throw. This is because my wrist hurts too much to throw full sidearm. This also hurts my speed a lot--my fastest balls are thrown full sidearm, but this just was not a possibility for me today.

-As previously noted, the alley stops displaying speeds once you've bowled the ball "too fast." As such, I have no idea how fast this ball was, but going off of averages I'd say low 20s at the pins.

-My attempt to block out my face may slightly affect your ability to see my hand during the upswing... I did the best I could to not obstruct anything though. Also, I'm aware this isn't exactly how these are meant to be filmed, but I did the best I could with the person helping me out.

I hope you all enjoy my video and are inspired to give this very very good technique a shot yourself, especially if you can go for a release near 90 degrees, as it's meant to be. Be sure to post results :)

fordman1
03-31-2019, 08:08 PM
Is it just me or is that just stupid?

J Anderson
03-31-2019, 08:14 PM
At the point of release, at about 3 seconds, the angle between your body and your arm is more like 30 degrees than the 80 to 90 degrees that a true side arm delivery would be.

A six second video is not enough to truly judge how good this new technique of yours is. I would need to see slow motion of the full approach from both back and side to see what’s really happening, or an unedited video of a full game so we can tell if you are getting the same great pin action on every shot.

bowl1820
03-31-2019, 08:16 PM

No it's not just you.

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm well aware that my arm isn't far enough to the side to be "true" sidearm. I even noted that. When my wrist is fully recovered I will make a new video, but trying to release at a 90 degree angle hurts like hell right now.

The pin action is pretty consistent. I also find I get surprisingly few splits even when I get a lot of head pin... don't ask me why. Getting somebody to record an entire game for me would be a bit tough from a logistical standpoint, but I will try to do so whenever my wrist heals.

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 08:24 PM

Well, that's just not nice. As far as I can tell, I am the pioneer of this new technique. I could keep it to myself and steadily improve, but I don't feel that would be fair. I am relatively inexperienced, and so I figured I would share this very very good technique with all of you, since I know most of you are older guys who have been bowling for a long time and could better adapt it than I. I also don't know of any technique that is better for speed than this. With a "normal" motion and release, I average low 20s, but with a healthy wrist and this method I top out around 26 mph, and that's despite not being in impeccable shape or having a huge amount of experience.

If you think it's stupid, I suggest that you give it a shot for yourself, except going for a 90 degree release. Maybe you'll discover something interesting.

bowl1820
03-31-2019, 08:45 PM
I downloaded the video and stepped through, this is not a "very very good technique". It's just someone running up the to the foul line and throwing a 12# ball as hard as they can down the lane.

There is no "sidearm" to it, which there would be no point in rolling a ball sidearm anyway. Your forward swing shown is basically just a regular forward swing, It's just poorly done because Your just arming it down the lane as hard as you can.

There's nothing really special about the backswing either , it's just is just a poorly executed one because you just jerked it back into the backswing to chuck the ball down the lane as hard as you can.

A properly done normal approach and swing, can generate the speeds you got on that straightball you threw. More efficiently and with less wear and tear on your arm.

Now if this system works for you hey fine, it's your arm and wrist. But personally I don't believe you actually bowl this way all the time or with your arm 90 degrees out to the right. (If you do your not taking the game seriously your just fooling around.)

But to anyone reading this thread, this technique isn't something that you should try to emulate.

bowl1820
03-31-2019, 08:51 PM
You want speed here's Osku Palermaa throwing at 31mph using a good swing and approach.

Mind you he doesn't throw that hard all the time, he doesn't need too and most bowlers don't. High Speed isn't the answer to low scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOjYJLArrs

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 09:06 PM
You want speed here's Osku Palermaa throwing at 31mph using a good swing and approach.

Mind you he doesn't throw that hard all the time, he doesn't need too and most bowlers don't. High Speed isn't the answer to low scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOjYJLArrs

I'm well aware of Palermaa. His spare ball is an inspiration to me, after all. Forget about traditional analysis of the motion--this is a new paradigm. And besides, how can bowling even claim to be a sport if athleticism isn't rewarded? A 30 mph throw in the pocket should have a higher strike % than a 16 mph throw, but it doesn't. Rewarding accuracy is fine; punishing speed isn't. I go for speed because I care about getting exercise more than I care about my score. Does that make me not a serious bowler? You be the judge. I bowl the way the game should be, not the way it is.

Also, I would throw a heavier ball if I had one. I just don't feel like dropping a cool hundred bucks on a glorified heavy ball. If I got fatter like some league bowlers, I could bowl a house 15 or 16, but right now the smallest size 12 is the largest that fits my hands. Also, you can throw a 16 faster than a 12, so getting a fast speed with a 12 doesn't invalidate the argument--it makes it stronger, in fact.

Think outside of the box, my friend. Join me on my journey to make bowling a real sport, rather than the sport that the kids who were too out of shape to play football played in HS. It's exactly because the pin action is so consistent with a full sidearm release that it is a viable alternative--only accuracy holds us back.

Let us fly, brothers!

Edit: Also, these pro bowlers never measure speed at the pins, anyway. So his 31 at the pins would be a 28, which is close to the fastest I can throw.

bowl1820
03-31-2019, 09:35 PM
!

Edit: Also, these pro bowlers never measure speed at the pins, anyway. So his 31 at the pins would be a 28, which is close to the fastest I can throw.

If you actually watch that video his speed was measured the same way you got your speed. Using the lanes speed measuring system, which measures at the pins. So his off hand speed was a little bit faster still.

The point here is he's generating speed equal too or greater than you using more proper technique.

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 10:04 PM
If you actually watch that video his speed was measured the same way you got your speed. Using the lanes speed measuring system, which measures at the pins. So his off hand speed was a little bit faster still.

The point here is he's generating speed equal too or greater than you using more proper technique.

It doesn't look like a 53 to me... these things malfunction sometimes, especially at high speeds--I should know. It looks to me like a 35 or similar--right around the highest speed he's actually claimed, and above the highest televised ball he's thrown. I don't even think there's evidence it's humanly possible to throw above 40, let alone 50. Maybe the sidearm technique can reach these highs?

Proper technique isn't everything, especially with this paradigm shift. He's just stronger and more experienced than I am. This technique is still in its infancy and you have only seen a shell of its full form which uses a 90 degree release.

bowl1820
03-31-2019, 10:21 PM
It doesn't look like a 53 to me... these things malfunction sometimes, especially at high speeds--I should know. It looks to me like a 35 or similar--right around the highest speed he's actually claimed, and above the highest televised ball he's thrown. I don't even think there's evidence it's humanly possible to throw above 40, let alone 50. Maybe the sidearm technique can reach these highs?

Proper technique isn't everything, especially with this paradigm shift. He's just stronger and more experienced than I am. This technique is still in its infancy and you have only seen a shell of its full form which uses a 90 degree release.

That's not 53 MPH on the monitor screen, It's 53 KPH (kilometers per hour). Which is 32 MPH.

Proper technique is everything in every sport.

topbowlveryverygood
03-31-2019, 10:46 PM
That's not 53 MPH on the monitor screen, It's 53 KPH (kilometers per hour). Which is 32 MPH.

Proper technique is everything in every sport.

Makes sense. It also really goes to show how great this new technique is if somebody like me can come within 5 MPH of the world's strongest bowler throwing a devilishly speedy ball with great traditional technique.

Here's my philosophy: I will never be a great bowler no matter what. Nor will anybody reading this thread. Think about how few bowler are truly successful... the odds are against everyone. So what do I do? Do I go out and get lessons and try to mimic what everybody else does? Do I dedicate my life to throwing a ball down a lane in exactly the same manner as the rest? Shall I buy a nice shirt with my favorite brand on it and throw 14 MPH balls while chugging beers at my local league?

No. I will never be like the rest. You may not see what I am doing as serious, but to me, it is the most serious form of bowling ever dreamed up by anyone. That's because I'm innovating. I'm casting aside all known technique and instead going for one that, as far as my searches found, nobody except for one small child has ever done. I thought of this on my own, and struggled immensely to develop it to where it is now. I used to consistently score in the 50-100 range with it when I first adopted it--an absolutely massive and even embarrassing dropoff from where I was before. I had no accuracy and even my speed wasn't great with it. Most people would simply give up at this point. Maybe they could show their friends this funny technique they thought about and everybody could laugh as they sidearmed it into the left gutter. Well, not me. I kept trying. I have honed my skills and now my motion is consistent and I'm even pretty accurate with it and improving all the time.

I will never slip into complacency. I take this extremely seriously. I am forging my own path. Maybe I am not like you all--you guys seem to live for the established technique, and obsess over the details of it. Most of you are likely better bowlers than I am right now, but I have a clear upward trajectory. You guys and 99.9% of bowlers are trying to perfect that which has already been perfected. I am forging new ground and innovating--what would a sport be without innovation? And despite this technique being in the early stages, when I wasn't plagued with my wrist injury I was already throwing above 23 mph consistently, peaking in the mid-high 20s. Can you call what you're doing sport if a morbidly obese middle-aged man can exactly replicate it?

Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?

Timmyb
04-01-2019, 06:54 AM
But to anyone reading this thread, this technique isn't something that you should try to emulate.

In other words, kids, don't try this at home....

While I'll give him that this is unusual, I highly doubt this is the next great thing in bowling. Just looks like a poorly thrown shot.

Timmyb
04-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Makes sense. It also really goes to show how great this new technique is if somebody like me can come within 5 MPH of the world's strongest bowler throwing a devilishly speedy ball with great traditional technique.

Here's my philosophy: I will never be a great bowler no matter what. Nor will anybody reading this thread. Think about how few bowler are truly successful... the odds are against everyone. So what do I do? Do I go out and get lessons and try to mimic what everybody else does? Do I dedicate my life to throwing a ball down a lane in exactly the same manner as the rest? Shall I buy a nice shirt with my favorite brand on it and throw 14 MPH balls while chugging beers at my local league?

No. I will never be like the rest. You may not see what I am doing as serious, but to me, it is the most serious form of bowling ever dreamed up by anyone. That's because I'm innovating. I'm casting aside all known technique and instead going for one that, as far as my searches found, nobody except for one small child has ever done. I thought of this on my own, and struggled immensely to develop it to where it is now. I used to consistently score in the 50-100 range with it when I first adopted it--an absolutely massive and even embarrassing dropoff from where I was before. I had no accuracy and even my speed wasn't great with it. Most people would simply give up at this point. Maybe they could show their friends this funny technique they thought about and everybody could laugh as they sidearmed it into the left gutter. Well, not me. I kept trying. I have honed my skills and now my motion is consistent and I'm even pretty accurate with it and improving all the time.

I will never slip into complacency. I take this extremely seriously. I am forging my own path. Maybe I am not like you all--you guys seem to live for the established technique, and obsess over the details of it. Most of you are likely better bowlers than I am right now, but I have a clear upward trajectory. You guys and 99.9% of bowlers are trying to perfect that which has already been perfected. I am forging new ground and innovating--what would a sport be without innovation? And despite this technique being in the early stages, when I wasn't plagued with my wrist injury I was already throwing above 23 mph consistently, peaking in the mid-high 20s. Can you call what you're doing sport if a morbidly obese middle-aged man can exactly replicate it?

Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?

Okay, you're trying to come off as though we're going to be talking about this until time ends. I've seen hundreds of unusual styles in 45 years of bowling. From what I saw in your video, yours doesn't come close to some of the weirdest crap I've seen. As far as the rest of us "will never be great bowlers either"? Buddy, I bowl ONCE a week, three games, and I average around 210. When I go to different house during the summer, it pretty much stays there. I may not be a "great" bowler, but I'm pretty damn good.

ALazySavage
04-01-2019, 09:06 AM
"Call it stupid if you want. I call it getting actual exercise and doing something original simultaneously--how many bowlers can claim they're doing even one?"

It is actually sad that I'm taking time to respond to this. if you believe that putting your shoulder in a compromised position and trying to whip it around your body is a measure of actual exercise I would recommend learning about the basic biomechanics of your shoulder joint and surrounding muscles. While you could potentially consider bowling a light form of exercise that can vary based on how you throw the ball, the act of using bowling as a method of exercise comes with a lot of issues - especially a pronounced muscle imbalance due to one side being dominate over another for a high volume of repetition.

While I still believe this is more of a troll post rather than something serious (and you have three pages of responses so you have succeeded), in the instance this is something serious I just want to make you aware of the danger you are putting your shoulder in.

drlawsoniii
04-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Can we just re-lock the thread and ban the guy already? He's definitely 2handedsniper 2.0.

chrono00
04-01-2019, 10:17 AM
I’d like to see a video of him shooting a ten pin like that...or any spares really

vdubtx
04-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Ignoring the thread is the best course of action. LOL!!

bowl1820
04-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Okay I gave him his chance , he posted a video and there's been some discussion. There's nothing useful going to come from further discussion of this technique.

So I'm locking the thread.