PDA

View Full Version : Side hole plugging

Timmyb
04-19-2019, 09:12 AM
Just a fair warning to all you that have a weight hole in your current equipment. USBC will not allow those in sanctioned league or tournament play next season. I took my stuff in now, because my PSO warned me that he'll most likely be plugging 2000-2500 balls this summer. Get you stuff in now, or you'll be waiting!

ALazySavage
04-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Just a fair warning to all you that have a weight hole in your current equipment. USBC will not allow those in sanctioned league or tournament play next season. I took my stuff in now, because my PSO warned me that he'll most likely be plugging 2000-2500 balls this summer. Get you stuff in now, or you'll be waiting!

Unless the time line has changed here is what is showing up on Bowl.com, if this is still accurate your PSO is off by a year.

August 1, 2018 - Bowling ball companies were submitting information about oil absorption rate, the goal is nothing that is faster than 2 minutes and 15 seconds. This rule is to be applied August 1, 2020

August 1, 2020 - The elimination of the allowance of balance holes in equipment. Bowling equipment can have up to five gripping holes as long as each gripping hole is actively being used.

August 1, 2019 - Towels used to clean equipment during competition must be dry and free of any liquid cleaner

January 1, 2020 - Balls are allowed to have up to 3 oz. of side weight in order to help bowlers prepare for the elimination of the balance hole (I thought this was moved up, but the article online still states this date).

https://www.bowl.com/News/NewsDetails.aspx?id=23622331019

boatman37
04-19-2019, 10:58 AM
I thought it was 2020 also but I'm not as up on these rules as many on here. Also, I know when I bought my Kingpin last summer my PSO said it had about 3 oz. of side weight and that it wouldn't be legal the first week (might have been August 1st it was legal, can't remember now) I had it but would the following week.I bought that ball July 17th, 2018.

ALazySavage
04-19-2019, 11:45 AM
I thought it was 2020 also but I'm not as up on these rules as many on here. Also, I know when I bought my Kingpin last summer my PSO said it had about oz. of side weight and that it wouldn't be legal the first week (might have been August 1st it was legal, can't remember now) I had it but would the following week.I bought that ball July 17th, 2018.

Yeah, pretty sure that the 3 oz. side weight was moved up, but that the balance hole is still 2020 - thanks for the input.

Timmyb
04-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Was under the impression that both were moved up. I am not a USBC rep, nor is he. He may also be trying to cushion himself against an onslaught of last-minute customers as well. Just going off what I was told yesterday. My suggestion was merely to enlighten. No one wants to be the last-minute douche canoe.....

Timmyb
04-19-2019, 03:02 PM
Correction--Just looked, and the boys here are right. Goes into effect 01-Aug-2020. I trust my PSO implicitly, an I'm sure he's just trying to even out the rush.

boatman37
04-19-2019, 06:11 PM
Correction--Just looked, and the boys here are right. Goes into effect 01-Aug-2020. I trust my PSO implicitly, an I'm sure he's just trying to even out the rush.

Wait....can you tell my wife I was right....lol

Timmyb
04-19-2019, 11:40 PM
Wait....can you tell my wife I was right....lol

If she's like mine, she won't believe it anyway.....

boatman37
04-20-2019, 12:44 PM
If she's like mine, she won't believe it anyway.....

That's why I need you to tell her....lol

ALazySavage
04-23-2019, 01:40 PM
That's why I need you to tell her....lol

Could backfire, my wife would likely respond with "I'm glad you know all about bowling, but what about <blank>" which you are set up to have no way to know.

boatman37
04-23-2019, 11:18 PM
Could backfire, my wife would likely respond with "I'm glad you know all about bowling, but what about <blank>" which you are set up to have no way to know.

Oh that would likely happen here too...lol

six6guy
05-02-2019, 04:17 PM
The pro at one of my bowling houses says once that effective date happens (no balance hole allowed) he will watch you to bowl against him with the balance hole but at the end of the night set your score to zero... I'm not sure he can do that but he has alot of pull at that house, might be you should prevent them from using.

Anyway, my first thought was he might just get his nose punched for the zero score trick... I'm ordering popcorn that day! :)

Brad

bowl1820
05-02-2019, 06:37 PM
The pro at one of my bowling houses says once that effective date happens (no balance hole allowed) he will watch you to bowl against him with the balance hole but at the end of the night set your score to zero... I'm not sure he can do that but he has alot of pull at that house, might be you should prevent them from using.

Anyway, my first thought was he might just get his nose punched for the zero score trick... I'm ordering popcorn that day! :)

Brad

A member of the opposing team (the Pro in this case) can't just give you a zero for using a ball that is out of specification. He has to file a complaint with the league (in writing) and they will decide if the games are forfeit (A lot would hinge on whether the player had prior knowledge of the rule).

vdubtx
05-07-2019, 10:31 AM
I am going to wait until next year to get any balls that I have remaining in my arsenal with flare holes plugged up. It is highly likely that by next year, any balls that I do still have will not be in regular use any way.

SpinBowler300
05-07-2019, 11:58 AM
It doesn't matter if you have prior knowledge of the rule. You can't use a ball with a balance hole as of 08/01/2020. The pro is right, let them use it for a game and call them out. Zero for the game. I like this idea.

six6guy
05-07-2019, 01:49 PM
It doesn't matter if you have prior knowledge of the rule. You can't use a ball with a balance hole as of 08/01/2020. The pro is right, let them use it for a game and call them out. Zero for the game. I like this idea.

If the league is a sanctioned league then they have to do something. I'm not sure if post game zero score is the kindest of approaches, I tend to prefer stopping them before they bowl even if that leaves them without equipment.

Brad

Amyers
05-07-2019, 01:52 PM
If the league is a sanctioned league then they have to do something. I'm not sure if post game zero score is the kindest of approaches, I tend to prefer stopping them before they bowl even if that leaves them without equipment.

Brad

Probably true but bowlers will manipulate the rule to their advantage 90% of the time and would be well within the rules to do so