PDA

View Full Version : League with odd number of teams?

six6guy
06-04-2019, 09:32 PM
So my Monday league recently dropped a team (I don't know why) and there are now 21 teams on the league. My team was the first team to bowl unopposed because of this. How the house/league did this was unusual (to me) but maybe this is the new norm...

The team captain of the unopposed team picks a team number from a hat and your team is bowling against that team. Not a true head to head, but you can check your progress as the night proceeds. The team you are bowling against still has their win/losses calculated in the normal way.

In the past I have see where they used a simple rule that you had to beat your team average minus 10 pins per player to win/loose. It's almost too easy though.

What have you seen used?

Brad

bowl1820
06-04-2019, 09:59 PM
So my Monday league recently dropped a team (I don't know why) and there are now 21 teams on the league. My team was the first team to bowl unopposed because of this. How the house/league did this was unusual (to me) but maybe this is the new norm...

The team captain of the unopposed team picks a team number from a hat and your team is bowling against that team. Not a true head to head, but you can check your progress as the night proceeds. The team you are bowling against still has their win/losses calculated in the normal way.

In the past I have see where they used a simple rule that you had to beat your team average minus 10 pins per player to win/loose. It's almost too easy though.

What have you seen used?

Brad

It's called the "Draw" system, I haven't personally seen it used but it is a option listed in the USBC rules.

Rule 104 – Teams:
104d. Uneven Number
When a league has an uneven number of teams, the team scheduled against the nonexistent team can-
not be credited with the points by forfeit. The Earn the Points system is used unless the league board
of directors, by majority vote, decides to use the Bye or Draw System. The following procedures apply
for each system.

2. Draw System:
a. Teams bowling the vacant team will draw a team or be scheduled against another team from the
league to earn points.
b. Points not won by the team for failing to bowl the prescribed score, should be recorded on the
standing sheet as “unearned” points.
c. The scores bowled will be used as if bowling in direct competition with the drawn/scheduled
team.

jaypeesmith
06-05-2019, 10:44 AM
In a a summer league I was in, they used a blind team and, like you mentioned, we had to be within 10 points of our averages. So, it was somewhat similar to the method used by your league.

boatman37
06-05-2019, 04:47 PM
In a a summer league I was in, they used a blind team and, like you mentioned, we had to be within 10 points of our averages. So, it was somewhat similar to the method used by your league.

Same here. We have 39 teams in our summer league. We haven't had our 'bye' yet but last season there were a few times near the end that teams quit showing up and we had the same rules. Had to be within 10 of your average to get the points.