PDA

View Full Version : Bowling Center vs. Bowling Alley

J Daisy
07-30-2019, 11:24 PM
I was just curious about something. I have always called a “place at which you bowl” a bowling alley. That is all I have ever heard it called. Since joining this forum, it seems that I may be one of the only ones who use that term. All others choose to call it a bowling center. Are they the same thing? Is one term simply outdated? Is there a right thing or a wrong thing to call it?

I mean, if the term bowling alley was good enough for Elvis (“Down in the Alley”), then it should be good enough for me, right? ;)

boatman37
07-30-2019, 11:55 PM
I have always called it a bowling alley but I'm old school. Started league bowling in 7th grade about 1981ish up until about 2002 then started back again last year. So many things have changed since 2002 and 'centers' seem to be one of them...lol

bowl1820
07-31-2019, 12:02 AM
I was just curious about something. I have always called a “place at which you bowl” a bowling alley. That is all I have ever heard it called. Since joining this forum, it seems that I may be one of the only ones who use that term. All others choose to call it a bowling center. Are they the same thing? Is one term simply outdated? Is there a right thing or a wrong thing to call it?

I mean, if the term bowling alley was good enough for Elvis (“Down in the Alley”), then it should be good enough for me, right? ;)

The term "Alley" hearkens back to the days of when bowling establishment's were dark smoke fill places located in the basements of saloons. About world war 2 there was a upsurge in the popularity of bowling and owners started sinking more money into them and they became fancier, stand alone bowling centers That family's could go to.

Is the term Alley outdated? No it's still commonly used, along with "center" it just depends on the conversation being had at the time which is used.

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 12:29 AM
I have always called it a bowling alley but I'm old school. Started league bowling in 7th grade about 1981ish up until about 2002 then started back again last year. So many things have changed since 2002 and 'centers' seem to be one of them...lol

Indeed, a lot has changed. I wish it hadn't, haha. I missed out on a lot of the good stuff by being born in the wrong decade.

Because I'm so, like, you know, not from, like, my generation and stuff... Let me go to my safe space to mope about it. (Cringing yet? I am, and I wrote it. It could have been worse. I could have misspelled words and used no punctuation.) ;)

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 12:32 AM
Bottom line it boils down to "Old School" vs. "Modern" and where your standing when you say it. I noticed in IL we call it B-Dub's, most other places it's Buffalo Wild Wings. 6 in one....half dozen in the other. Still the same places no matter what you call them.

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 12:37 AM
The term "Alley" hearkens back to the days of when bowling establishment's were dark smoke fill places located in the basements of saloons. About world war 2 there was a upsurge in the popularity of bowling and owners started sinking more money into them and they became fancier, stand alone bowling centers That family's could go to.

Is the term Alley outdated? No it's still commonly used, along with "center" it just depends on the conversation being had at the time which is used.

Thanks for the historical background, that's very interesting. I didn't know that.

You said it depends on the conversation being had, which word was the better choice. Can you please elaborate on that? In what situation would either word be inappropriate?

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 12:44 AM
Bottom line it boils down to "Old School" vs. "Modern" and where your standing when you say it. I noticed in IL we call it B-Dub's, most other places it's Buffalo Wild Wings. 6 in one....half dozen in the other. Still the same places no matter what you call them.

Did you know that a “foot-long” can either be a hoagie or a hot dog, depending on the state you're in? LOL

Do you think that, like many foods, one term is regional slang to one area, and the other term to the other area?

J Anderson
07-31-2019, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the historical background, that's very interesting. I didn't know that.

You said it depends on the conversation being had, which word was the better choice. Can you please elaborate on that? In what situation would either word be inappropriate?

If you are speaking to someone who owns or works in a place where people bowl, the correct term is center.

If speaking to a senior citizen, alley is probably the better choice.

Any other bowler and either is fine.

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 10:21 AM
It only really matters if you give a rats patooty about being politically correct. 99% will know what you mean either way. I did notice in TN that many of the bowling "centers" names in had "Alley" in the name rather than "XXX Bowl" or "XXX Lanes", what do you do then when it's "XXX Alley"? Call it "XXX Alley center"? LOL

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 10:32 AM
It only really matters if you give a rats patooty about being politically correct. 99% will know what you mean either way. I did notice in TN that many of the bowling "centers" names in had "Alley" in the name rather than "XXX Bowl" or "XXX Lanes", what do you do then when it's "XXX Alley"? Call it "XXX Alley center"? LOL

Haha, thanks for your insight. I did not know that Alley was politically incorrect. Does it change anything for me? You bet. Now I'll use it more often. :p

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 11:21 AM
I could care less about being politically correct. The phrase itself is a complete contradiction. How many politicians have you ever heard that were correct about anything? All I do is say what I mean and mean what I say, if people don't like the format in which I do so? Too bad, so sad. When they can come up with a synonym for "Thesaurus" then they can come complain to me, until then they can go away.

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 01:11 PM
I could care less about being politically correct. The phrase itself is a complete contradiction. How many politicians have you ever heard that were correct about anything? All I do is say what I mean and mean what I say, if people don't like the format in which I do so? Too bad, so sad. When they can come up with a synonym for "Thesaurus" then they can come complain to me, until then they can go away.

Agreed. By the way, it's “synonym onomasticon”. ;) I reserve the right to complain at a future date.

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 01:36 PM
If memory servers an onomasticon is a listing of words. You have to add the word Synonym to it for that to work, however thesaurus also shows the antonyms. So to be correct you'd have to say "Synonym and Antonym onomasticon" for it to be a proper synonym but then again that now would categorize it as a "Phrase" vs. a synonym. I call that the best effort I have ever seen to come up with one though so I give you an "A".

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 02:09 PM
If memory servers an onomasticon is a listing of words. You have to add the word Synonym to it for that to work, however thesaurus also shows the antonyms. So to be correct you'd have to say "Synonym and Antonym onomasticon" for it to be a proper synonym but then again that now would categorize it as a "Phrase" vs. a synonym. I call that the best effort I have ever seen to come up with one though so I give you an "A".
Haha, would ya now? And here I thought I was done with school. :p

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 02:29 PM
At least you had an intelligent response. For what it's worth, spell check never even heard of the word "Onomasticon" therefore underlines it in red. It IS a correct word though. LOL

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 02:43 PM
At least you had an intelligent response. For what it's worth, spell check never even heard of the word "Onomasticon" therefore underlines it in red. It IS a correct word though. LOL
I don't even have spell check on my flip phone, which is what I used to post that, so I didn't even know that. I don't have spell check on half of my devices. I don't care much for it. It makes peeple lazzy spellars, haha.

This conversation was taken off topic fast. Too many deer paths. To put it back on topic, does anybody here actually take offense to the term “bowling alley”?

J Anderson
07-31-2019, 02:47 PM

It’s not really about being politically correct. The only ones offended by the term bowling alley are those who work at or own “bowling centers”, or those who feel that connecting bowling with alley gives alleys a bad reputation.;)

Bowling has gone through periods of disrepute. In the 1800s there was so much gambling associated with bowling that the most common form at the time, 9 pin, was banned. Even at the start of the PBA, there was still a trace of bowling's darker history, prompting the organization to adopt strict codes of dress and public behavior. The use of the phrase bowling center is really more of a low cost marketing idea. You know, don’ really change anything but use center instead of ally in all your press releases.

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 03:03 PM
It’s not really about being politically correct. The only ones offended by the term bowling alley are those who work at or own “bowling centers”, or those who feel that connecting bowling with alley gives alleys a bad reputation.;)

Bowling has gone through periods of disrepute. In the 1800s there was so much gambling associated with bowling that the most common form at the time, 9 pin, was banned. Even at the start of the PBA, there was still a trace of bowling's darker history, prompting the organization to adopt strict codes of dress and public behavior. The use of the phrase bowling center is really more of a low cost marketing idea. You know, don’ really change anything but use center instead of ally in all your press releases.

Why would bowling alley/center owners take offense? Nobody pictures a dank, seedy gambling den when the term bowling alley is used today. Anyway, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

Although, I lean toward the Shemp and Moe Howard version: “A rose by any other name smells...” “And so do you!” (Meaning Shemp, not you, obviously. LOL)

Phonetek
07-31-2019, 06:12 PM
Wow a Stooges quote and an abstract one and a Shemp at that.... You truly are old school. Impressed... Very impressed

J Anderson
07-31-2019, 07:14 PM
Why would bowling alley/center owners take offense? Nobody pictures a dank, seedy gambling den when the term bowling alley is used today. Anyway, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet.

Although, I lean toward the Shemp and Moe Howard version: “A rose by any other name smells...” “And so do you!” (Meaning Shemp, not you, obviously. LOL)

Business owners can be rather peculiar. While they should be happy people are talking about their business, some of them will get bent out of shape if your comments don’t match with their “branding”, even though the statements reflect positively on the business.

On the other hand, sometimes it’s the employees who take offense. Years ago, I was working as a temp at Perkin-Elmer. My supervisor’s boss had a side business called the Barter Shop, sort of like American Pickers without the cameras or the big dollars. I stopped in to see what it was like one afternoon and after I had looked around a bit the owner asked me what I thought of it. I said, “You’ve got quite a bunch of junk.” His employee got all upset saying that it wasn’t junk but valuable antiques. The owner stepped in and defended me , saying That I knew junk when I saw it.

mc_runner
07-31-2019, 08:10 PM
for what it's worth I kind of use them interchangeably and also never heard of anyone caring one way or the other. Also, never a question I even thought of!

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 08:51 PM
Wow a Stooges quote and an abstract one and a Shemp at that.... You truly are old school. Impressed... Very impressed

Certainly! Let me tip my invisible derby (pronounced doy-bee) and take a bow. I grew up on the Stooges. And about the old school part, I DID try to tell you, it's pretty bad. Somebody mentions their Apple and their Blueberry, and I still think fruit, haha.

Now to put the conversation back on track again...

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 08:57 PM
Business owners can be rather peculiar. While they should be happy people are talking about their business, some of them will get bent out of shape if your comments don’t match with their “branding”, even though the statements reflect positively on the business.

On the other hand, sometimes it’s the employees who take offense. Years ago, I was working as a temp at Perkin-Elmer. My supervisor’s boss had a side business called the Barter Shop, sort of like American Pickers without the cameras or the big dollars. I stopped in to see what it was like one afternoon and after I had looked around a bit the owner asked me what I thought of it. I said, “You’ve got quite a bunch of junk.” His employee got all upset saying that it wasn’t junk but valuable antiques. The owner stepped in and defended me , saying That I knew junk when I saw it.

It doesn't really sound like those are people who should be catered to anyway. It sounds like they are looking to take offense, and it doesn't matter what somebody says.

Haha, that's funny. Thank you for sharing that story. :)

J Daisy
07-31-2019, 09:01 PM
for what it's worth I kind of use them interchangeably and also never heard of anyone caring one way or the other. Also, never a question I even thought of!

Thanks for your input. :) Glad the question sparked so much interest on here. I think this may be my most popular thread.

Phonetek
08-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Certainly! Let me tip my invisible derby (pronounced doy-bee) and take a bow. I grew up on the Stooges. And about the old school part, I DID try to tell you, it's pretty bad. Somebody mentions their Apple and their Blueberry, and I still think fruit, haha.

Now to put the conversation back on track again...

Blueberry as in the first Bonde Blue iMac or are you talking about a Blackberry phone? Have the Bonde Blue and had a Blackberry phone which I dropped in a puddle. How about the Newton? I still have my Mac IIcx and it still works!

J Daisy
08-01-2019, 12:39 AM
Blueberry as in the first Bonde Blue iMac or are you talking about a Blackberry phone? Have the Bonde Blue and had a Blackberry phone which I dropped in a puddle. How about the Newton? I still have my Mac IIcx and it still works!

Blackberry? Is that what it's called, haha? Point made. I know nothing about such things. And the only Newton that comes to mind either has a fig filling or discovered the Law of Gravity. Since gravity doesn't weigh in this conversation, I'm guessing that's not what you mean. ;)

classygranny
08-01-2019, 11:41 PM
Since Bowlmor owns most everything around here, it's become Bowling Center as they have made them all into entertainment centers. Ones that aren't are usually still referred to as Alleys. Actually, most of us disagree with the Bowlmor Corporate Business Plan, so we just refer to all of them as "the Lanes"; as in, "are you going to the lanes on Sunday?"

Forget political correctness, we bowlers all know what we are talking about...and well, the others just don't matter if they understand or not.

J Daisy
08-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Since Bowlmor owns most everything around here, it's become Bowling Center as they have made them all into entertainment centers. Ones that aren't are usually still referred to as Alleys. Actually, most of us disagree with the Bowlmor Corporate Business Plan, so we just refer to all of them as "the Lanes"; as in, "are you going to the lanes on Sunday?"

Forget political correctness, we bowlers all know what we are talking about...and well, the others just don't matter if they understand or not.

Good way of looking at things. :)

Phonetek
08-03-2019, 01:15 PM
So I got yet another opinion on this OP. When I went in to the new center I will be working at. The girl at the counter said "You don't work at a "Center" if it's only 12 lanes, you work at an "Alley". A "Center" is anything 36 lanes or more, if it's less it's an "Alley". This is a "Center" because we have 52 lanes!" Okay, never heard that before but I didn't question her and corrected myself. Later that day I asked the PBA pro I'll be working for, he said "She's full of ...., she has no idea what she's talking about. LOL He said he don't even know what the difference is but it ain't that. LOL Although it didn't answer your question, I'd rather take his word on it than the counter girl.

J Daisy
08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
So I got yet another opinion on this OP. When I went in to the new center I will be working at. The girl at the counter said "You don't work at a "Center" if it's only 12 lanes, you work at an "Alley". A "Center" is anything 36 lanes or more, if it's less it's an "Alley". This is a "Center" because we have 52 lanes!" Okay, never heard that before but I didn't question her and corrected myself. Later that day I asked the PBA pro I'll be working for, he said "She's full of ...., she has no idea what she's talking about. LOL He said he don't even know what the difference is but it ain't that. LOL Although it didn't answer your question, I'd rather take his word on it than the counter girl.

That is interesting! Thanks for asking them, it is really cool to get their opinions on this. Yeah, I would say that he would know better than her, haha.

p0ppyman
10-24-2019, 07:26 PM
I'm really old school but have adjusted and only use bowling center these days. Also that is all I bowl in these days too.

J Daisy
11-07-2019, 04:49 PM
I'm really old school but have adjusted and only use bowling center these days. Also that is all I bowl in these days too.
Thanks for sharing! I guess “bowling alley” is the more old-fashioned term after all, but I still like to use it personally. I like being old-fashioned. I guess I'm just an old soul, haha.

six6guy
11-12-2019, 02:36 PM
I generally use them interchangeably. I think it's marketing hype or maybe a regional variance... Here in SoCal I often hear Bowling Lanes or the name of the house (Valencia Lanes/Harley's Bowl). Some houses have more services (baby sitting) than others, but I don't think that is a factor...

vdubtx
11-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Seems appropriate

https://i.imgur.com/KmsLcVu.jpg

J Daisy
01-03-2020, 12:28 AM
I generally use them interchangeably. I think it's marketing hype or maybe a regional variance... Here in SoCal I often hear Bowling Lanes or the name of the house (Valencia Lanes/Harley's Bowl). Some houses have more services (baby sitting) than others, but I don't think that is a factor...

Thanks for your input. Baby sitting? Really? Huh, I never knew there were bowling “places” that offered that service. Learn something new every day!