PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts or experience gained at the National Tournament

TN_Valley
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Just looking for other peoples stories. I'll post mine, but you're going to have to wait until the end of July. By then, I don't think it'll matter much since we're bowling the last days of the tournament. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get all the deals and free stuff that they want to just get rid of!!! I'll also know exactly what I have to shoot to cash!!:D

11 in a row
02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
this year will be my 4th national tournament and i,m really looking forward to it too cause i like the tougher conditions anyways and it being in vegas helps too...i,ve cashed in 2 of the 3 tournaments i,ve been too since corpus chirsti in 2006 so maybe i,ll strike it good this year too....reno on the other hand was something i,ve learned from especially in the team event ..so last years tournament i did well in doubles/singles and team i did okay but i cashed more in d/s...so this year i,m hoping and i,ll keep an open mind about it as well and not get too high or too low about it and do my best...i will be looking for another toy while i,m there too for the upcoming year so to the track booth i,ll be there in may..i leave on the 12th bowl on the 14th and 15th and fly back home on the 16th.. this is my vacation too so i will do some sight seeing as well and gamble a bit too ......can,t wait.thats my story for now i,ll tell the rest afterwards when i get back from the tournament..

jaws1945
02-26-2009, 10:28 AM
One week to go before I head to Vegas. I am bowling with my two sons, first time for one of them, and they're pretty pumped. They are looking forward to a good time(not necessarily the bowling part). Thia will be my 15th trip, I took about 8 years off before going back in Reno 2007, skipped last year in NM, but since it is in Vegas, my sons got all fired up to go. I cashed in Singles at Reno, but I never have high expectations heading into the tournament. Our group got a great deal at the Sahara, so we can afford to lose a little more at the tables:D

ThongPrincess
03-01-2009, 01:03 PM
The best advice I can offer is to not look at the trip only in terms of bowling. Last year was a great learning experience. It was my 4th or 5th Open Nationl's and I had also bowled in 2 Women's Nationals. It was the first time that the bowling was not the measure of the entire trip. Yes the bowling is important as a cause of why you are there, but there is more to it.

After bowling team event we all went to Denny's (the only place that was still open :p). There had to have been around 30 of us between bowlers spouses, friends, and significant others sitting around a bunch of tables pushed together to accommodate our group. Looking around the table, and Jay pointed this out, you could not tell who had shot 600+ and who shot 400+. It is not to say there was no talk about the bowling, but it was about more than that and it wasn't any whining.

Be open minded, listen to what the lanes are telling you to do. You may like to play 10 board, but that may not be the right line. Bowl the best you can and then enjoy what Vegas has to offer and use the bowling knowledge gained to work on your game when you get back home.

One last thing - something I saw bowling the Women's Nationals that was kind of cool. My group specifically asked to be separated during team event. Each lady brought something to exchange with the team they shared the pair with. It might be a pin or a towel from their state or local. Maybe it's a girly thing, :D but I thought it was funl and it opened the door for conversation while waiting to bowl.