PDA

View Full Version : Question about the affect of polish on a bowling ball ?

Hammer
02-08-2020, 11:05 AM
Say I just put a 400 grit surface on my Blue Hammer urethane ball with no polish. If I do put polish on it what change will it put on the reaction of the ball once it hits the dry? Will it hook more or less and later or earlier? I know that there are different polishes but I don't know how many different kinds there are. Are there only two kinds where one makes the ball go longer and one that makes it go shorter? So I know how my Hammer reacts without polish but I don't know how different it will be with one of the polishes.

RobLV1
02-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Say I just put a 400 grit surface on my Blue Hammer urethane ball with no polish. If I do put polish on it what change will it put on the reaction of the ball once it hits the dry? Will it hook more or less and later or earlier? I know that there are different polishes but I don't know how many different kinds there are. Are there only two kinds where one makes the ball go longer and one that makes it go shorter? So I know how my Hammer reacts without polish but I don't know how different it will be with one of the polishes.

If you put a 400 grit surface on your ball, why would you possibly want to polish it? Polish is harder to control than simply putting a finer surface over the 400.

Hammer
02-08-2020, 03:31 PM
If you put a 400 grit surface on your ball, why would you possibly want to polish it? Polish is harder to control than simply putting a finer surface over the 400.

Thanks for the info. I just sand the bowling balls I have and never put polish on them. I like the reaction I get with no polish. I was just curious. I just resurfaced both balls today for our league night tonight. So dull it is.

boatman37
02-08-2020, 03:58 PM
CTD (Creating The Difference) makes a 5000P sanding pad that 'simulates' a polished finish without the polish. Without watching the entire video this might be it > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAIKKDiovs

Ron talks about how the polish can cause the ball to 'skid' down the lane where the 5000P finish without the polish helps the ball 'see' the lane better. I can't speak to the real difference but have used the 5000P and liked it for what I needed.