PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Bowling Shoes

The KingPin
02-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Dexter makes great Bowling shoes. Many people are fans of the SST Lines and other casual bowling shoes. From bowling shoes with flames to bowling shoes with interchangeable soles. Dexter knows bowling shoes and if you use Dexter Bowling shoes, Let us know what you use and what you think about them.

Tell us what model or make your Dexter Bowling Shoes is and a rating of it.

Thanks BowlingBoards.com

* The Dexter Logo and all shoes logos are those of the Dexter Shoe Company. Any and all images will be removed by the request of Dexter at any time for any reason.

Jamski
06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
All right, you get what you pay for, I know. The Dexter Ricky II is about as plain Jane as you can get. It's all white, it's not fancy, it doesn't have interchangeable soles or any of the geegaws you tend to expect from today's bowling shoes. On the other hand, it only retails for around $30, less if you can get it on sale, and it fits my flat size 12 feet like a glove. About the only thing I have to do is add an arch support to them, the same ones I use in all my other shoes for my heel spurs.

Mechanics: The sliding sole seems pretty tacky as bowling shoes go, but if you're as heavy-footed as I am, teflon wouldn't make you slide, so if you're as deliberate on your approach as I am, these might work for you too and may even give you a bit more leverage. Obviously if you bowl on a lot of different surfaces or want to tailor your approach you'll want something more customizable. But if you're new to the sport or if you're just an occasional bowler looking to save the shoe rental fees, hey, you could do a lot worse.

yeehayashi
06-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I have several pairs of Dexter SST and I especially like the SST-6 LXs. I have wide feet so I got a pair with the wide sizing & they fit like a glove. The kangaroo leather made them comfortable from the first time I laced them up. I only have a couple of beefs. (1) they discontinued making this shoe with the kangaroo leather and (2) the toe cap on my trailing leg was not reinforced with a bumper cap so I've worn the sole way down at that spot.

I also bought a pair of the original SST-7 and I'm not nearly so fond of those shoes. They felt heavy and stiff compared to the SST-6s. Also, the toe cap bumper separated from the upper and made the shoe worthless. I also sent a couple of emails to Dexter support to report this problem, but they never bothered to respond.

I'm not so sure about the SST-8s, but if they ever re-release the SST-6 LXs, I'll certainly buy another pair of those shoes. If they don't re-release the SST-6 LX, I'm probably going to give the 3G Tour Ultras a shot when I buy my next pair of shoes for the upcoming Fall/Winter league season.

JaxBowlingGuy
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
i had the sst6's and loved them... untill as stated by someone else my non slide toe wore down to the leather sole of the shoe.. once that happened i went out and bought the 8's... they are very comfortable from the 1st ball thrown... my only issue was that the 8's seemed to be taller than the 6's... that took a week or 2 to get used to.. after that i was good to go... the original 6's with kangaroo leather or the new 8's..you cant go wrong..

Coach 3G
09-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I've owned Dexter Bowling shoes my whole life. I had an intro pair, then SST1's, then SST6's and now SST8's.

I loved my SST6's. I should have bought another pair. Got convinced to try the SST8's and I hate them. The toe peels up on my push off shoe and I'm constantly having to adjust it just to keep it in place. I think dexter should have done a better job with the 8's. If you drag your toe at all, these are not the shoes for you. (conveniently now on their website there is a video of T Delutz explaining not to buy them if you drag your toe, if that was the case it should be written on the box).

I contacted dexter through their website and it has been over a week. Haven't gotten a reply yet. I know I'm not the only one with this problem either. I see tons of SST8's with the toes mangled/taped and glued every which way.

DaveAyotte
02-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree - I've had my same SST 6's for about... 13 years now. They've been all over the country with me, and until this bowling season, were holding up great. Now finally the inside fabric where the heel sites has torn, and the foam padding on the inside is coming out. I'd say I got my money's worth...

I have heard a lot on the SST8 issue with the toe drag, and will most likely be picking up the SST5 LX in a few months. For now, a little duct tape goes a long way. ;)

striker12
02-13-2012, 09:25 PM
i have seen lots of people with those type ofbowling shoes even my brother and they all love them but me i jsut got my first pair of bowling shoes this year and i got etonic cause my proshop was not able to get dexter but i have been useing bowling allie house shoes for 3 years and it got soo hard to bowl in those cause i would stick and then slid and stick hurting my leg abit

runkle
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I know they look gross, but for those of you who have sweaty feet, these Dexter sandal bowling shoes are fantastic! I keep them in my bag for anytime that the lanes are kept at a higher temperature or when I play more than 2 games!

bowlingballsandaccesso2
03-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Like you guys I have also my own Dexter bowling Shoe, I wear it on during any cup or tournament I have joined. Makes me looks like pro...so cool!!!

x-mantwohand
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
dexter sst8 has very good slide

eugene02
05-16-2012, 04:55 AM
recently bought my SST8 Black & Red for SGD $270 if im not wrong..

billf
05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
I love Dexter. Currently own two pair of SST5s. Had a pair that the non-slide foot started coming apart (sole from front big toe area). Contacted Dexter through e-mail. They had me e-mail pics, verified defect and sent me new shoes. They were as fast as could be expected and never criticized that I was over using them or anything like that. Great, exceptional customer service.

eugene02
05-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I love Dexter. Currently own two pair of SST5s. Had a pair that the non-slide foot started coming apart (sole from front big toe area). Contacted Dexter through e-mail. They had me e-mail pics, verified defect and sent me new shoes. They were as fast as could be expected and never criticized that I was over using them or anything like that. Great, exceptional customer service.

sad that i don't live in US.. because they do exchanging easily, bowling ball can get easily.. difficult to get mine here :( expensive as well.. how much did u pay for the SST5?

billf
05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
On sale for $129 USD

Mike White
07-01-2012, 01:47 AM
I can definitely recommend staying away from Dexter Pro Am II.

The black portion at the tip of the sliding shoe is the same rubber material as the heel.
If I lean a little too far forward on my slide, the whole foot comes to a screeching halt.

I'm going to call Dexter and see what can be done about the issue.

bowl1820
07-01-2012, 01:56 AM
I can definitely recommend staying away from Dexter Pro Am II.
http://www.bowlingboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=539&d=1341121507

The black portion at the tip of the sliding shoe is the same rubber material as the heel.
If I lean a little too far forward on my slide, the whole foot comes to a screeching halt.

I'm going to call Dexter and see what can be done about the issue.

You shouldn't be leaning so far forward that you come up on the tip of your toe to get on the black part on your slide shoe! I can't even picture how a person could.

Or do mean when you go into your slide, you drag the toe on the grip shoe? which that can happen.

Mike White
07-01-2012, 10:24 PM
What I mean is if for some reason I happen to touch the toe of my sliding foot, it stops cold.
I've had it happen both near the end of a slide (out of balance) and as I was putting the foot down to start sliding.

It's like having brakes on your car that can lock up intermittently with the slightest touch on the brake pedal.

It's a face plant just waiting to happen.

The sliding portion of the sole should cover all the way to the front, not stop short.

I only have 3 games in the shoes, and there won't be a 4th.

bowl1820
07-01-2012, 10:59 PM
What I mean is if for some reason I happen to touch the toe of my sliding foot, it stops cold.
I've had it happen both near the end of a slide (out of balance) and as I was putting the foot down to start sliding.

It's like having brakes on your car that can lock up intermittently with the slightest touch on the brake pedal.

It's a face plant just waiting to happen.

The sliding portion of the sole should cover all the way to the front, not stop short.

I only have 3 games in the shoes, and there won't be a 4th.

Looking at the photo the slide sole does go all the way to the front. The black part is just were the front of the toe is curving up to the top of the shoe.
If your hitting it that's a problem with your slide not the shoe . Your transferring too much weight to the front of the shoe (the (out of balance) part). You need to keep your body back and not lean forward so much, so your weight is evenly distributed on the shoe.

Also you only have 3 games on the shoes? , Those lower cost shoes have a break in period, They are not even broke in yet. New shoes tend to stick some at first.

eugene02
07-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Dexter's shoes are like that.. I myself own a SST8.. The shop person told me that I should NEVER stick it all the way up to the black part as it will cost the slide to come off while approaching. This is how dexter made it.. I never had a problem on sliding on it though.. even if it's not covered all the way.. maybe it's the way you bowl?

Mike White
07-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Looking at the photo the slide sole does go all the way to the front. The black part is just were the front of the toe is curving up to the top of the shoe.
If your hitting it that's a problem with your slide not the shoe . Your transferring too much weight to the front of the shoe (the (out of balance) part). You need to keep your body back and not lean forward so much, so your weight is evenly distributed on the shoe.

Also you only have 3 games on the shoes? , Those lower cost shoes have a break in period, They are not even broke in yet. New shoes tend to stick some at first.

It looks more like the solution to keep the sliding sole from pealing off the shoe with usage, was to shorten the sliding sold and inset it into the rubber area at the front.
This means the rubber area is closer to the approach than simply the front of the toe curling up.

As a returning bowler from a 20 year layoff, I have to expect to have the occasional (if not frequent) balance problems.

My issue is that the design of the shoe causes an extreme penalty for making such a mistake.

My purchase decision was a plastic ball, "cheap" shoes, and "cheap" bag.
These would allow me to get my timing and balance back, then I would upgrade all of the items.
If for whatever reason I decided that this new version of bowling just wasn't for me, it wouldn't be a significant investment to walk away from.

I had no idea the decision on the shoes would be so perilous.

bowl1820
07-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Well given if you dont like the shoes, not many options to try. Either exchange them for some different ones or you could try a bowlers slide sock on the shoe. There is also a stick on nylon slide made for bowling shoes, cut a piece off and apply it to the offending area.

Or use some sandpaper or a file and sand the black rubber part back some.

got_a_300
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
That is some excellent advice from bowl1820 I use a
bowlers slide sock on my slide shoe as it takes all of
the approach tackiness/stickiness out of play.

Mike White
07-02-2012, 11:06 PM
I choose solution X) none of the above.

I called Dexter about sending them back... I'm waiting for a return call.

Meanwhile I ordered a pair of Linds which I should have done in the first place.

eugene02
07-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I choose solution X) none of the above.

I called Dexter about sending them back... I'm waiting for a return call.

Meanwhile I ordered a pair of Linds which I should have done in the first place.

i guess that's just personal preferences :)

beerframe
07-05-2012, 03:45 AM
I bought some Dexter Cranium's off of amazon and I can say these shoes perform on any approach and are nice and comfy. I love the black light graphic on the side for glow bowling as well.

Trex
07-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I bought a pair of SST8's the other day, and the slide shoe does not slide enough with the S8 sole, but slide too much with the 10 sole.

So I ordered the buck skin sole to replace the S8 microfiber sole from Bowlingball.com. I can't wait to try it out, it should be shipped soon.

They say this buck skin sole replacement will solve the problem. I sure hope so as I will be mad it If I can't use my new shoes!!

Will update this when I get it.

billf
07-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I bought a pair of SST8's the other day, and the slide shoe does not slide enough with the S8 sole, but slide too much with the 10 sole.

So I ordered the buck skin sole to replace the S8 microfiber sole from Bowlingball.com. I can't wait to try it out, it should be shipped soon.

They say this buck skin sole replacement will solve the problem. I sure hope so as I will be mad it If I can't use my new shoes!!

Will update this when I get it.

Let me know how it works for you as I have the same problem. I figured being a bigger bowler was the issue as far as how the soles are rated. I read where Chris Barnes cuts his soles so he can mix and match them to get the exact feel he is looking for. I tried it but didn't feel comfortable enough to give it a true effort.

Trex
07-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Let me know how it works for you as I have the same problem. I figured being a bigger bowler was the issue as far as how the soles are rated. I read where Chris Barnes cuts his soles so he can mix and match them to get the exact feel he is looking for. I tried it but didn't feel comfortable enough to give it a true effort.

I got the buck skin sole from bowlingball.com that replaces the S8 sole on the SST 8 bowling shoes and it works!!!

I took the S8 sole off and put on the Buck Skin sole and now my new SST 8 Shoes slide perfect!!

To make the SST8's even more like my old shoes as far as slide:
I also took the rubber sole off the non slide shoe, and put on the S6 sole on the non slide shoe....I can now bowl with proper slide
on the left shoe, but with a much more stable feel compared to my old cheaper universal shoes!!

I now love my new SST8 bowling shoes thanks to Bowlingball.com having the buck skin replacement sole for the S8 sole.

Thanks Bowlingball.com!! :cool:

GoKidd
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Dexter SST8 is comfy and stylish ... but toe drag on the non-sliding foot has already cost me two soles in six weeks. I'm not happy that I paid that much money for a shoe that I now have to duct tape.
Pity ... everything else about the shoe is nice.